• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yep, mentioned this yesterday or whatever. Also, the vulnerability is specifically in Struts (the web application framework), not Apache (the web server or the organization).
    DK Firearms

JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    Yeah, but this was the first confirmation I had seen. Saw a comment on apache.org a few days back

https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/apache-struts-statement-on-equifax

My point was it is now evident failure to patch led to yet another major breach. Until now, for their sake, I was kind of hoping it was a 0-day they had little to no control over...negligence in this day and age is simply inexcusable.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Everyone seems to recommend filing your taxes early. Can they get enough info based on the stolen data to get close to filling out income and taxes and file it for you, or are they just making numbers up at random to get a refund?

Yes. I believe they are fudging the income numbers and possibly keeping them relatively low in hopes of catching any EIC and even child credit. I don't believe there is a whole lot of scrutiny going on up front, and even so, when you file multiple returns your bound to get most of them through. Even if they get one out of ten thru it's all free money either way.
    To be honest I have always completed my return off my last paycheck, it's usually spot on or close enough when I go back and check it against my actual W2. I submit it thru a Turbo Tax service early January and it just sits there until the IRS starts accepting them. Of course I have a very simple return and that will not work for everyone, but it's what I've been doing for years now.
    Last year though I remember them holding back early filers returns a few weeks and I believe it might have been due to checking for fraud or maybe multiple returns.

JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    Yeah, I would concur with Southpaw. Even before this, it was highly recommended to file taxes as soon as possible. TurboTax was breached a few years back and they got the PIN numbers and login information. IRS website was compromised and they stole a ton of data from people that way too. It's been an issue for a few years now.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I owe money every year so I tend to wait until the last possible moment to give it to them, seeing as how they've done such a piss poor job in spending it.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Just FYI - concerning tax filing. We file late and in 2014, someone filed under my wife's name. The bozos at the IRS just run the paperwork thru but it kept us from electronically filing for 2014 and 2015. After numerous calls and visits and only after they sent 2 letters out about seizing money from my account did it get straightened out in mid 2016. The Tax Advocate is supposed to help taxpayers but they were atrocious to deal with and typical rude govt. workers. I have 0 faith in the IRS, or the credit reporting agencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Thanks. Will be freezing our credit files shortly. I don't see needing credit for a while anyway and it seems like the only sure way.

Froze all three credit reporting agencies yesterday. EquiFax was the worst, most aggravating process of the bunch and took better than three hours and numerous attempts by phone and online, but they didn't charge the ten bucks the other two did ... would have been insult to injury.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Froze all three credit reporting agencies yesterday. EquiFax was the worst, most aggravating process of the bunch and took better than three hours and numerous attempts by phone and online, but they didn't charge the ten bucks the other two did ... would have been insult to injury.

What was it that took so long, the process or actually getting through to it?

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    What was it that took so long, the process or actually getting through to it?

Experian was done in about ten minutes, after I had no luck on their website and switched over to their automated phone system.

Transunion, took a bit longer, but took about three tries with the phone system.

Equifax took over three hours of getting bucked off the website, then either getting an immediate dropped call on their automated phone system, or going most of the way through the process before the call suffering a glitch and being hung up on, rinse/repeat. Finally got successful with Equifax via phone after 6PM CST, figured many of the 143M folks were on the way home or at dinner by then. Never did get their website to work.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Experian was done in about ten minutes, after I had no luck on their website and switched over to their automated phone system.

Transunion, took a bit longer, but took about three tries with the phone system.

Equifax took over three hours of getting bucked off the website, then either getting an immediate dropped call on their automated phone system, or going most of the way through the process before the call suffering a glitch and being hung up on, rinse/repeat. Finally got successful with Equifax via phone after 6PM CST, figured many of the 143M folks were on the way home or at dinner by then. Never did get their website to work.

Guessing that this will be an ongoing thing while the dust settles and everyone and their grandmother is busy freezing their credit.

It's going to be interesting to see what impact a sizeable # of credit worthy individuals freezing their credit reports will have on spending over the coming binge season.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

Thanks. I'm going to hold off a few days perhaps.

It's going to be interesting to see what impact a sizeable # of credit worthy individuals freezing their credit reports will have on spending over the coming binge season.

This^^

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    21751984_1974297489454823_6399735555090716037_n.jpg

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    It would be outstanding if it made people think a little harder about using debt to buy things.

Yes and No. From a fiscal responsibility stand point it would be a good thing, especially if folks had long memories and continued doing the same once the scare was over.

From an economic standpoint it would hurt as people put off spending for months or even choose to not do so. Our economy is driven by consumerism. Any drop in spending generally equals jobs lost, which constricts spending and causes more lost jobs. Companies would need to adjust pricing and lower profitability projections. No more selling an iPhone for $1k at a robust mark up. It won't be fun. Banks and other lobbying assets would move heaven and earth to insure folks can binge spend, even if it means burying their heads in the sand about the long term effects of systemic ID theft.

I hope that is a fake. If not I pray DOJ, SEC, FTC all swoop down upon Equifax and confiscate every piece if electronic device they have ever owned to be burned. Only way to be sure that all their info is destroyed and unhackable.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Thanks. I'm going to hold off a few days perhaps.

Keep in mind the phone number for all three are automated systems where you input via voice or keypad, so go with that if you can ... being put on hold to talk to a human yesterday would more than likely result in a hang up.

Here's those numbers again:

Equifax or by phone at 1-866-349-5191
    Experian or by phone at 1-888-397-3742
    TransUnion or by phone at 1-800-916-8800

JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    I hope that is a fake. If not I pray DOJ, SEC, FTC all swoop down upon Equifax and confiscate every piece if electronic device they have ever owned to be burned. Only way to be sure that all their info is destroyed and unhackable.

Well, I read another article today that supposedly received messages from the hackers saying the real reason they got the info wasn't from an apache vulnerability but because the admin console page was using username/password admin:admin...so you never know

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I looked up Susan M at Equifax Inc and found she's changed her name to only her initials and has gone low key:
    b893c21da6c2e445762cdb580f998611.jpg
    4d726b0dc1e78f8fd609765fd2ff061a.jpg
    afa466667c011ae17ef9cdf6d8d4e79d.jpg
    11aaa9d0f6c09236f8cb0cc21654c00c.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member