Extra Ammo

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by mortdooley, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mortdooley

mortdooley Active Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This question was asked on another board I post on. How much spare ammo do you carry with your concealed handgun? Personally I only carry what the guns capacity is which in my case is between 8 and 11 rounds. Most of the people said they carry at least 2 spare mags and a wonder 9 for a total of about 46 rounds. I am thinking defense and hope to put as few rounds in the air as possible that might hit unintended targets while getting out of a tight spot.

2. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I can't carry yet, but I like to have 3 mags: one in the gun and two in pouch or pocket. I can't explain why, but that's the way I like it.

3. knsgordon

knsgordon New Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Fredericksburg
    The key is to carry as much ammo as you will need to get the job done! For some it may be one round, for others, they might need a trailer. Carry what fits the above and is comfortable to you.

4. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Full pistol and two mags on my weak side for a total of 26 rounds.

5. Texas Patriot

Texas Patriot Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I carry a Kel Tec P3AT and all I carry for ammo is a loaded mag. I don't usually go to places where I expect to engage in a small war, but some guys must do that frequently, or else they would tire from carrying so much extra ammo with them.

I do also have a Taurus .45 ACP with 11 rounds in my console and a Springfield .45 ACP with 8 rounds in my briefcase. That's it for me.

6. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    I carry two mags for my Glock 17(34 rounds) and three mags if carrying my 1911(24 rounds).

7. Thumper_6119

Thumper_6119 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    That would be me. Beretta92FS with 2 spare mags. And why? Because ya just never know. I'm not an off-the-deep-end-sky-is-falling type, but I do believe in being prepared for as much as I reasonably can be. I always remember that story about the small town sheriff walking into some town meeting and being greeted by one of the townspeople who asked "Sheriff, I see you are wearing your handgun into the meeting. Are you expecting trouble?" His reply "No. If I was expecting trouble, I'd be carrying my shotgun." (Whether the story is true or not, the point is valid.) And what is that phrase that seems to get just run into the ground on gun boards?? oh yeah, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Besides, it's not really that much heavier, and the mags are easy enough to conceal.

I too hope to never be called upon to actually draw and wield, and/or use my CCW, let alone get into a firefight, but getting into an LA style shootout (caught between the good guys and the bad guys with me just trying to get out of the whole mess without extra venting) is not really why I carry, or why I carry extra mags. More as just a little extra insurance should I have a prolonged trip home from work (which is not too far) in a less than civil social atmosphere, whatever the cause may be. I mean, we're talking just less than a box of ammo. Not cans of belt fed ordinance going to a roof mounted......you get the idea. It's just a little more insurance. For me, it's no big deal. It's not a good idea to blindly spray down an area with ammo just because you have it. (We'll leave that for the movies).

I'm sure the answers are quite varied as are the reasons and perceptions for carrying in the first place. People just do it differently.

8. 50calRay

50calRay Active Member

Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Well I don't have my CHL yet but I've been staying in Arizona which allows OC. So I've been using my shoulder hoslter for my 92f that holds two extra mags. My primary CCW is going to be a 38 spl. I'll keep two 6shot strips in my pocket.

9. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I just carry the mag that's in it plus the round in the chamber.

10. fm2

fm2 Event Coordinator

Apr 27, 2008
    There are more benefits to spare magazines, than just the ammo.

I usually carry 1 extra mag. That is most likely to be used in case mag failure.