• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Growing up, my bedroom shared a wall with the garage. We didn’t have a door to get in the garage from inside the house…only way was to go out the front door and open the garage.

When I was around 18 or so, I remember hearing noises in the garage. I looked out my window and I could see that the lights were on inside the garage.

So we called the cops, and they rolled up dark and quiet. Caught the guy, he was putting things into the trunk of the car so he was about to steal a getaway car also.

That’s the only time I can recall being in a situation like that. I felt vulnerable, and it changed my life…I didn’t want to feel like that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    DK Firearms

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Interestingly I just watched Travis Haley talking about a related item. During one of his classes he asks

"If someone (bad guy) was in your house would you shoot them?"

Naturally a lot of hands went up then he asked "why?". "Because I can" was the typical answer.

Because you can it THE WORST reason to do something.

As Haley pointed out the first thing you should do in a gun-fight is think.

Sadly, this father had gaps in his security plan that caused the life of daughter. More night lights, a split second longer for target ID, a weapon light, confirmation bias...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I have a detached garage near the rear of the house. I would account for my family, get them secure while calling the police, before I decided to go in “hot”! An attached garage, maybe a little different, but either way, know your target. Weapon lights on a bedside gun are essential. And get your entire family safe before charging in with a gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Interestingly I just watched Travis Haley talking about a related item. During one of his classes he asks

"If someone (bad guy) was in your house would you shoot them?"

Naturally a lot of hands went up then he asked "why?". "Because I can" was the typical answer.

Because you can it THE WORST reason to do something.

As Haley pointed out the first thing you should do in a gun-fight is think.

Sadly, this father had gaps in his security plan that caused the life of daughter. More night lights, a split second longer for target ID, a weapon light, confirmation bias...

I like this. It’s meant to make people think. Different answers to this question but saying you would shoot just because is a terrible answer. Now bad guy in your house is maybe not the best analogy. To be termed bad guy and in house; to me that means intruder has forced his way into my home. So absolutely yes I’m shooting.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    My parent always had enough light to identify anyone in the house instantly. So do I. The only rooms to be even close to totally dark are bedrooms. I may not have enough for pin point shooting but I can damn sure identify who is in the room.
    Not only can stupidity hurt, it can sometimes be tragic.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think lighting of some type is essential, in identifying the target before pulling the trigger. Now whether that is a separate flashlight, a weapon mounted light of some type, or low-level house lighting or night lights is purely personal preference.

Had the father utilized some sort of lighting when entering the garage before blindly just shooting, there is a very high chance this tragic incident would have been prevented.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Run a light. Period. Try it. It's pretty hard to look straight at a bright light flashed in your face, and YOU, behind the light will have a clear conscience that you know what you've identified.

Run a light

Don't go to the unknown

Know your target and what is beyond

Think before you shoot

Your plan should extend to more than having a gun and shooting someone.

Call out. Its no fucking secret you live there.

If you have time, call 911 and put them on speaker.

Home invasions (burglary of an occupied home) are pretty rare and typically are associated with drug rips where one gang/dealer tries to snatch up another dealer's cache. They are worth considering and planing for but the reality is it is VERY RARE on the whole and extremely rare for someone not "involved" MUCH rarer than other times and places you may be placed into where you may be in a shoot/no-shoot situation.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …The use of a rail light seems pretty handy in helping to id someone...
    In an offensive situation, I love a good weapon mounted light; personally I prefer a momentary activation function instead of strobe, but that’s really gnat’s assing it.

For the average person investigating a noise at night, I despise a weapon mounted light primarily because they most likely will put the business end of a firearm on the target before identifying the target.

I’d rather folks just put a good wifi video camera inside their garage and keep the garage deadbolt thrown as the default.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    In an offensive situation, I love a good weapon mounted light; personally I prefer a momentary activation function instead of strobe, but that’s really gnat’s assing it.

For the average person investigating a noise at night, I despise a weapon mounted light primarily because they most likely will put the business end of a firearm on the target before identifying the target.

I’d rather folks just put a good wifi video camera inside their garage and keep the garage deadbolt thrown as the default.
    All true. Trigger discipline goes a long way too. I understand the taboo in having the business end at someone. Consider this though: home invasion has been on the rise. With trigger discipline and breathing/thinking even at high ready, I can live with that gun sin.

The police are an hour out from me. I can live with high ready and good discipline.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    And, for God's sake, don't go looking unless you have a really bright flashlight. Light = target identification.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
    Yet some people (not referring to you S) on this board will tell you that using a light just makes you a target, you should not use one.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I’m sure this father has far worse things in his head than anyone could come up with for him.

Don’t have it in me to pile on. Hope he finds peace, but he won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only thing that can save the father is God's grace.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I think it’s important to be calm and fluid. Not every scenario is going to be the same. Not every sound will be the same.

The reality is the guy that shot his daughter was jumpy and didn’t train. Didn’t train his mind too.

We can all type what we think should happen but we don’t have control over that. Follow just one safety rule would have saved her life; that’s why they are there. Teenagers man...I came in late all the time at my dads house. He’s a democrat so i never got shot. Looking back I see a need for fast thinking and being calm. Here’s an example and I completely forgot I experienced this as a young man. I was 21 and staying at my dads one night. Had my g17 with me. The tv room window is right by the front door walkway and if you lay down on the couch you can see the outline of someone but they can’t see you laying down. First thing I noticed was the weird bowl haircut. A haircut no family or friends of ours has. Certainly my dad wouldn’t be friends with a guy gay enough to have a bowl cut.

So I just listen. Yuuup. I can hear the locks being picked. He’s spending time on the door. So the tv is on and cars are parked in the driveway. He’s stupid or has terrible intentions. So I get my g17 and sneak to make contact. Low ready the whole time. I simply ask what in the hell are doing in a normal voice. He looks and noticed mr glock at low ready. Never seen a guy run as fast as he did.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Now how about we step it up in being calm. Again I’m young in my early 20’s at the time. My friend and I used to do farm work on weekends for extra cash. Well the neighbors farm is owned by some crazy people. They look and act normal but mixed alcohol and firearms. So...we are on the correct property but being we got close to his property line he decides to give us warning shots with a 30-06. This was back when we didn’t have cell phones. So we take concealment and strategize to move low with cover/concealment and into the stream so the bank was cover until we get to a point we sneak up to his side. We made the decision I would walk out, hands out, attempting to talk calmly with him and if he tried to point his weapon at me I’d hit the dirt so my buddy could pop him from the brush. Fortunately he talked, cops handled it later, and no one had to die that day.

It’s easy to type how we would handle something but sometimes life throws you surprises.

Top Bottom