• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    In an offensive situation, I love a good weapon mounted light; personally I prefer a momentary activation function instead of strobe, but that’s really gnat’s assing it.

For the average person investigating a noise at night, I despise a weapon mounted light primarily because they most likely will put the business end of a firearm on the target before identifying the target.

I’d rather folks just put a good wifi video camera inside their garage and keep the garage deadbolt thrown as the default.
    Thought I’d clear my thought process up and as someone that has more experience than I do your opinion does mean something.

So let’s say you hear a more forceful noise. You have a weapon light, something easy to operate with the index finger, you’re at low ready the whole time, lights off. You are vocal about asking who they are. They don’t comply. Taboo to shine that light? With trigger discipline I’m thinking not.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It is difficult for me to understand how someone can fire on an unidentified target.
    Especially in todays legal environment.
    You must be aware of what you are doing at all times.
    If I can't see the target, the target can't see me. Use some stealth for christs sake.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Somebody opening the door to the dark garage will be backlit.
    Using a light won't really make them more visible.

Also, them in the dark, their eyes will have adjusted to the dark.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Somebody opening the door to the dark garage will be backlit.
    Using a light won't really make them more visible.

Also, them in the dark, their eyes will have adjusted to the dark.
    True. But my question for a specific scenario still stands to be answered. Your scenario didn’t need light.

Yes I wasn’t clear. To use a light though requires a special circumstance. Or does it?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I often don’t communicate well what I’m thinking or wanting to know so here we are talking weapon light use. Lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I used to believe that..... until I accidentally shined a 500 lumen flashlight in my face. Makes aiming....and seeing....a lot harder.

I’m one of those people who for some reason always manages to blast my eyes with a new flashlight with the same consistency that a man squeezes the trigger on a drill when a new battery is put in.

With the new LED technology, getting hit in the face with a light is definitely not going to help you locate a damn thing for a couple minutes, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm partial to low-level lighting within the house to see things that go bump in the night. But that is also a byproduct of getting old and needing some sort of light to navigate around the house at night without stumping a toe or breaking my neck.

I am also a flashlight fanatic! I have flashlights in just about every room. I have so far not felt the need to use a weapon mounted light yet, but over the last few years have given thought to at least one being mounted to one of the pump shotguns, for just such a scenario as what happened in this story of the father.

I think the choices in what type a lighting a person uses, will, or should be determined by their own unique circumstances and environment. I live in a very rural part of the county, with no neighbors really close to us. Not a lot of traffic on our county road most of the time. Just the wife and I. We also have three inside dogs inside the house, and several outside the house, plus one that likes to sleep in the garage. The dogs are not aggressive by any means, but they will bark, and bark very loudly.

Security within a home needs to be thought of in layers. I have always believed that preventing unwanted intrusion in the first place was the best option. Dogs barking will keep the vast majority of those out, or away from your hone and stuff IMO.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I’m one of those people who for some reason always manages to blast my eyes with a new flashlight with the same consistency that a man squeezes the trigger on a drill when a new battery is put in.

With the new LED technology, getting hit in the face with a light is definitely not going to help you locate a damn thing for a couple minutes, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The newer LED lights are so much brighter and less expensive that the older lights. They also longer run times between battery changes or recharging.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    In an offensive situation, I love a good weapon mounted light; personally I prefer a momentary activation function instead of strobe, but that’s really gnat’s assing it.

For the average person investigating a noise at night, I despise a weapon mounted light primarily because they most likely will put the business end of a firearm on the target before identifying the target.

I’d rather folks just put a good wifi video camera inside their garage and keep the garage deadbolt thrown as the default.

A weapon mounted light is not a substitute for a handheld flashlight.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …So let’s say you hear a more forceful noise. You have a weapon light, something easy to operate with the index finger, you’re at low ready the whole time, lights off. You are vocal about asking who they are. They don’t comply. Taboo to shine that light? With trigger discipline I’m thinking not.
    Yeah, lots of options with this one, so I’m going to put this in the context of my house and my normal procedures.

Bump in night from garage. I will most likely grab my EDC light and gun. EDC light is a streamlight stylus pro; good bright white light, momentary button on end cap. Gun is WC EDC X-9, night sights.

First thing I’m going to do is orient to noise, check my four exterior doors near to far. Bedroom exterior, living room exterior, then either garage or front door based on where I think I hear the noise.

Sounds like garage, so…check the the front door to make sure it’s still locked, then head over to garage door. With all other exterior points of entry secured AND I hear noise in the garage; do I…call 911, knowing it may be a while until a deputy shows up or do I challenge. Since it could be an animal (how the hell did whatever it is get in there, default is garage doors down). Lots of choices here. I could

A. Voice Challenge thru the door. Element of surprise lost.
    B. Unlock the door, open, and voice challenge/ID. Elements of surprise and security lost.
    C. Use remote GDO to activate a garage door. Also puts some light on the subject and either traps them in garage if the door closes or lets then escape, which is fine by me. How do I know if the garage door opened or closed and whether they bolted or tried to hide. Lots of options down this path, too.
    D. Open app and look at live video. Assess situation and act accordingly. Use live video to inform next steps, which could be grab rifle, exit bedroom door, go to driveway, hit garage door opener and confront a well lit intruder with 911 on the way.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah, lots of options with this one, so I’m going to put this in the context of my house and my normal procedures.

Bump in night from garage. I will most likely grab my EDC light and gun. EDC light is a streamlight stylus pro; good bright white light, momentary button on end cap. Gun is WC EDC X-9, night sights.

First thing I’m going to do is orient to noise, check my four exterior doors near to far. Bedroom exterior, living room exterior, then either garage or front door based on where I think I hear the noise.

Sounds like garage, so…check the the front door to make sure it’s still locked, then head over to garage door. With all other exterior points of entry secured AND I hear noise in the garage; do I…call 911, knowing it may be a while until a deputy shows up or do I challenge. Since it could be an animal (how the hell did whatever it is get in there, default is garage doors down). Lots of choices here. I could

A. Voice Challenge thru the door. Element of surprise lost.
    B. Unlock the door, open, and voice challenge/ID. Elements of surprise and security lost.
    C. Use remote GDO to activate a garage door. Also puts some light on the subject and either traps them in garage if the door closes or lets then escape, which is fine by me. How do I know if the garage door opened or closed and whether they bolted or tried to hide. Lots of options down this path, too.
    D. Open app and look at live video. Assess situation and act accordingly. Use live video to inform next steps, which could be grab rifle, exit bedroom door, go to driveway, hit garage door opener and confront a well lit intruder with 911 on the way.
    Yup been there with letting a person escape. See my post at parents house. Not defense if there running away.

Top Bottom