• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAPS1350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    1488 and 2978
    I really need to get a rifle soon and was wondering what's everyone's favorite? Shooting hogs and deer.....wouldn't mind in the next few years heading up north to have the option of other big game.

I know that this question is like asking what's your favorite food....but I'm interested in the answers from people who are using them....not ones selling them. Gun salesmen are awful sometimes. lol

April
    Hurley's Gold

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I use a 30-06 because I traded my 30-30 off. I like the 30-30 as well great hog gun. You can kill anything on the North American contanent with a 30-06 or a 270.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As Big said, 30.06 will take care of most any North American game. I might want a little more puch for grizzles though. . Plenty of good rifles chambered in 30.06 too. Although I've not shot it at anything live yet, my Sako Finnbear, which used to be my Dad's is a tack driver.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Although there are many excellent calibers, I still champion the 30-06 which can be loaded with bullets from 100 to 220 grain bullets and somewhere in there is a load for most anything in North America...I think the old 30-30 comes in for deer, hogs, etc. but with .270, .243, .223 theres something for everybody and every use.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Less than 100 gr I've seen 60 gr for a hot 30-06 load it is the most versatile round out there. Hey baboon, what caliber is that steyr? There are a lot of great choices tho the 243 is an excellent choice for the lack of recoil and it is accurate. The 25-06 is right after another 30-30 on my get list.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Not necessarily. It is a little different in the pressure department, causing a lighter recoil and a "flatter" trajectory. But for the most part it is a short .30-.06

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    IMHO, .30-06 is about the best single gun all around caliber. Some states don't allow deer or elk hunting with less than a .30 caliber so it covers those situations. I agree with the comments above that for Texas, a .270 and .30-.30 are great. Only one qualification on that is for Axis (non-native species that are everywhere in the hill country). Those are some great eating but tough to kill animals. For them, I prefer the .30-06.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Isn't that a little expensive for a deer rifle? A box of rounds is like $50 or $60. (I think)
    The 375 is great for Elk in the thick brush from what I hear.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Isn't that a little expensive for a deer rifle? A box of rounds is like $50 or $60. (I think)
    The 375 is great for Elk in the thick brush from what I hear.

They got to be higher then that these days, but I've got set of dies from reloading for a friends wife's cape buffalo hunt. Think about were that caliber travel the world killing lots of animals.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Oh! No doubt it is a versatile round, and very effective on every thing all the way up to elephants. The only thing I would maybe need it for is hogs.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Holy crap I love this question!!!!! Ask yourself a few questions.
    1. Just a hog and deer rifle, or might you branch out to Western game?
    2. Are you recoil or report sensative?
    3. Do you shoot enough to feel confident with shots over 150-200 yards?(Be honest with this one, most people are not)
    4. Do you handload or strictly shoot factory?

If you will answer those 4 questions, it will offer a lot of insight into what you really need.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    3. Do you shoot enough to feel confident with shots over 150-200 yards?(Be honest with this one, most people are not)

If you will answer those 4 questions, it will offer a lot of insight into what you really need.
    So true! And Hog and deer, no, a gentelman never tell's and factory.

MAPS1350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    1488 and 2978

1. I might branch out to western game. But for the next couple years, it'll probably just be Texas.
    2. I don't know. I shot very well at trap with the shotgun, but my shoulder could only handle 14 rounds. Very inexperienced.
    3. Never shot at more than 25 yards....and that was with a Glock 23 and a Ruger 10-22. I suppose first things first.....need a scope. Slightly short sighted to begin with! lol
    4. I shoot factory....but DH and I are looking into handloading. SO it's a future possiblity.

I"m a beginner. I"m a fast learner. I'm strong and can handle myself (bruised shoulder aside). I"m also 5'8" so I don't think I need to worry about getting a shorter "female" stock.

Does this help at all?

April

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yes it does help. I think you would do fine with a 30-06, 308, 25-06 22-250, 243, etc....... the fact of the matter is you will need to try anything you can just like with a pistol. My wife can handle my 30-06. But I want to get her into a 243 so she can shoot a lot more than if she was always shooting my 30-06 that is set up for me and trying to adjust. NO TWO PEOPLE SHOOT THE SAME the scope will have to be adjusted for you not GM so he will need his own rifle. (I Want credit for that GM)

MAPS1350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    1488 and 2978
    Big.....what makes you think I'd want to share MY rifle with GM? lol

Can't try one out. DOn't know that many people. Couldn't try out handguns either. Just researched and picked one.

April

Top Bottom