• ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Big.....what makes you think I'd want to share MY rifle with GM? lol

Can't try one out. DOn't know that many people. Couldn't try out handguns either. Just researched and picked one.

April
    No ranges rent guns in Houston? AH well, then I'd get a 243 and a Nikon 3x9x40 1" scope and go from there. I think that would be a good start personally. Didn't y'all live in Roundrock at one point? If y'all get down this way I'd more than happy to let you and GM shoot my 30-06, it's old but it shoots.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    "As a big game cartridge the .30-06 has probally killed every specias in the world, although it would not be recommended for the larger and more dangerous African game." This is straight out of my state of the art Sierra reloading manual printed in 1978. .30-06 is what I use and love it,but a .243 is a great round for this area and a begining shooter.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    O! I did not know that. But wouldn't you just shoot different loads and until you found one that was right? I don't know a lot about the 6mm so I'm curious.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    1. I might branch out to western game. But for the next couple years, it'll probably just be Texas.
    2. I don't know. I shot very well at trap with the shotgun, but my shoulder could only handle 14 rounds. Very inexperienced.
    3. Never shot at more than 25 yards....and that was with a Glock 23 and a Ruger 10-22. I suppose first things first.....need a scope. Slightly short sighted to begin with! lol
    4. I shoot factory....but DH and I are looking into handloading. SO it's a future possiblity.

I"m a beginner. I"m a fast learner. I'm strong and can handle myself (bruised shoulder aside). I"m also 5'8" so I don't think I need to worry about getting a shorter "female" stock.

Does this help at all?

April

Absolutely it helps. Since you are an adult and 5'8", I am going to bypass the 6mm's which includes the .243) even if it does get me in trouble. Awesome guns but I honestly consider them a little light for a beginners gun. Next step up is the 25's which I love. My old Ruger 77 in 25-06 has killed more deer, coyotes, antelope and piggies than almost all of my other rifles combined. But, I am going to skip it too. Just not enough good heavy bullets available in factory ammo, just like the 6mms. They are available, but if you forget your ammo and end up in the Hondo Wally World Superwhatchamacallit at midnight on a Friday night, I bet they dont have anything except varmint bullets. So, because it sounds like you are pretty new to the rifle thing, and you will probably be shooting at shorter distances at least to start out with(the more you shoot, the better you will get and you can start reaching out a little farther, I am going to move right over the 7mm magnums, there is just no need for them(and I am fan of the big 7's, I have a Rem mag, Ultra Mag, and a Weatherby mag) for most applications in Texas. And, for that matter, and I know I am going to take tremendous amounts of crap for this, there is no need for any .30 either, even the 30-06 for what you are wanting a rifle for. And before you guys get all jacked out of shape, let me explain. Yes, the 30-06 has killed everything from a mosquito to an elephant and yes, you can get factory ammo up to 220 grains. But the last time I checked, there arent any elephants in Texas, nor is there anything roaming around that is going to take a 220 grain slug to stop. So, this is where I land.

Get a .270, there are a ton of factory loadings available from 110 for varmints up to 140 and 150 grains for anything else. Everyone makes a rifle in 270 whether you want a bolt gun, single shot, lever, whatever. And, I promise, you can buy a box of ammo in the middle of the night at a gas station if you had to. And, it wont beat you to death on the bench. Nothing is worse than trying to shoot more gun than you can handle, its too loud, too hard on the shoulder, and no one wants a case of scope rash. So, this may have all been TMI, but this comes with a pretty good deal of experience.

Oh, and one more thing. Whatever rifle and caliber you decide on, dont go out and put a $50 scope on it. Glass is one thing you get what you pay for and there is NOTHING worse than being in the field with a gun you have no confidence in hitting where you aim.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Right! But the 270 is just a necked down 30-06. It is a very good choice tho. And for sure go with a good scope I suggested Nikon earlier, Or a Leopold. I have an old Leopold and I love it. And I'm just jabbing at Okierifleman he makes a very good suggestion. Just don't put crappy glass on anything but a 22.

jwise

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Spring
    My favorite is my Remington 700 LTR. It is the lighter weight profile with the shorter barrel. I have a nice scope on it, but didn't use the heavy rings and bases. I stayed true to its character and kept the weight very managable for use afield.

0907241954a.jpg

It's chambered in .308win, and it prefers the 168gr variety of fodder. It has a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X scope on it, which is a nice compromise between a lightweight hunting scope and a tactical scope. It has a mil-dot reticle, but it doesn't have the heavy target knobs, etc... The base and rings are Leupold. The one-piece design increases the durability of the base, but it's still lighter than the picatinny rail.

Overall, I'm very happy with this rifle. It really manages to excel in both the tactical and hunting arenas equally well.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    O! I did not know that. But wouldn't you just shoot different loads and until you found one that was right? I don't know a lot about the 6mm so I'm curious.

6mm and .244 are essentially the same cartridge just the rifles are meant for diff. grain bullet weights.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I must have had a bad experiance with .270's cause they swwm to kick more than the .30-06's I've shot although my FN .30-06 is not for the faint of heart either.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've got a 7mm rem. mag. Could take it or leave it. Maybe a bit much for my first deer rifle. Haven't really had time to shoot it a lot. Killed one dear with it. I like the 140 and 150 grain bullets.

I've also hunted with a .257 (roberts I think). My friend's favorite rifle. It has killed a lot of deer. I got a turkey (headshot) with it too.

Dad has got a .243. Haven't shot it a lot, but I like it a lot.

I don't think you'd be undergunned against anything in TX. heck, I've seen a charging grizzly get taken down by a 7mm rem mag.

Good luck.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Right! But the 270 is just a necked down 30-06. It is a very good choice tho. And for sure go with a good scope I suggested Nikon earlier, Or a Leopold. I have an old Leopold and I love it. And I'm just jabbing at Okierifleman he makes a very good suggestion. Just don't put crappy glass on anything but a 22.[/quote

You do, dont you? I love it. I cant think of anything I would rather banter back and forth with than this!

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    6mm and .244 are essentially the same cartridge just the rifles are meant for diff. grain bullet weights.

Dee, this may be way too much info, but they are actually the same. The .244 was redesignated the 6mm by Remington back in the 60's. The loading info is interchangeable.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Right besides the diffrent bullet weight try shooting a 6mm out of a .244 your accuracy will be poor those rifles won't stabilize anything over 100gr

MAPS1350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    1488 and 2978
    Well thanks for all the info, guys! Kinda interesting hearing all the back and forth.

Any name brands pop out in anyone's mind? (I tend to not like the black machine gun look lol).

April

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Yes sir, you are correct. When Remington introduced the 244 they figured everyone was going to use it for varmints so they gave it a 1:12 twist which will not stabilize the 100 grain bullets. When they redesignated it the 6mm, they changed the twist to 1:9 to hold be able to shoot the 100's for deer size game but it was too late. Winchester had already introduced the .243 with a 1:10 in theirs and the 6mm kind of got left behind.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Well thanks for all the info, guys! Kinda interesting hearing all the back and forth.

Any name brands pop out in anyone's mind? (I tend to not like the black machine gun look lol).

April

Remington 700 is a very good gun and I've grown pretty fond of Ruger rifles also.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Yes it does help. I think you would do fine with a 30-06, 308, 25-06 22-250, 243, etc....... the fact of the matter is you will need to try anything you can just like with a pistol. My wife can handle my 30-06. But I want to get her into a 243 so she can shoot a lot more than if she was always shooting my 30-06 that is set up for me and trying to adjust. NO TWO PEOPLE SHOOT THE SAME the scope will have to be adjusted for you not GM so he will need his own rifle. (I Want credit for that GM)

Credit given...although she wouldn't share anyways if she doesn't have to...lol We typically try to each pick one firearm. Then we will try each other's guns out and then banter back and forth about why ours is the better one. For example we go back and forth about her
    barfy.gif
    Glock 23
    barfy.gif
    vs. my
    biggrinangelA.gif
    SA XD40
    biggrinangelA.gif
    . But it's all in good fun.

Besides, where's the fun in waiting for your turn to try out the new gun...I don't have that much patience...LOL

Top Bottom