• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Our city police will set in the local grocery store parking lot and run plates. I suspect he's successful in picking up people with outstanding warrants around here.
    Capitol Armory ad

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    In Texas, this appears to be the case. This seems weird to me, though. Why not just carry around a cover for the plates? Because it's illegal in Texas. To wit:

The normal (to paraphrase) "this only applies while operating the vehicle on public roads" proviso is NOT contained in this section. So, no covers.

(I'm sure someone who actually writes tickets will come along to correct me if I have that wrong. I would welcome that.)

However, the situation cited by the OP was in California. There, plate covers that make the plate unreadable are legal for parked vehicles, even vehicles parked on public roads. There's a provision in the law empowering parking enforcement personnel to remove the cover to read the plate.

What strikes me as interesting is that if, in California, the plate readers are employed on a private parking lot, covers could only be removed for parking enforcement purposes. That would (theoretically) defeat the whole program of reading plates just to put together a database of gun-buying folk.

Until I started studying this, I didn't realize that merely the rules about how to put a plate on a car are stupefyingly complex and wildly different from state to state. I suppose there's a reason we need so many lawyers. :)
    It would be funny if the gun shows started handing out plate covers instead of tickets when you paid for parking! then just took them back when you leave!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Plate flippers are completely illegal in Texas. Even if you don't use it, you're not allowed to have one on your vehicle.

Ranger550

Live Free or Die
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wait there are gun shows in California?

Yes there are indeed gun shows here in Kommiefornia. Guns are selling out fast, before the new governor, all
    but outlaws them. Right now they are doing their best to outlaw ammunition...and they seem to be winning.

The CA police state, scanning car plates, doesn't surprise me at all. They are already filming/recording anyone who is stupid enough to go to a gun-show, as it is. Good way to be profiled with facial recognition technology.

Why anyone goes to these gun shows anymore is beyond my knowing, since they have been infested with undercover LE and "informants" for ages now, so you dont talk "gun talk", with some stranger you dont know.

There are NO real bargains at these gun show events anyhow, that I can't find cheaper elsewhere, anyhow.

I suppose the NRA has written off CA as a non-winnable casualty, and I can't say as I blame them, honestly.

Gunmageddon is flying though this hellhole state like stuff through a goose. Never let Texas become like CA!

Ranger550

Live Free or Die
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In Texas, this appears to be the case. This seems weird to me, though. Why not just carry around a cover for the plates? Because it's illegal in Texas. To wit:

The normal (to paraphrase) "this only applies while operating the vehicle on public roads" proviso is NOT contained in this section. So, no covers.

(I'm sure someone who actually writes tickets will come along to correct me if I have that wrong. I would welcome that.)

However, the situation cited by the OP was in California. There, plate covers that make the plate unreadable are legal for parked vehicles, even vehicles parked on public roads. There's a provision in the law empowering parking enforcement personnel to remove the cover to read the plate.

What strikes me as interesting is that if, in California, the plate readers are employed on a private parking lot, covers could only be removed for parking enforcement purposes. That would (theoretically) defeat the whole program of reading plates just to put together a database of gun-buying folk.

Until I started studying this, I didn't realize that merely the rules about how to put a plate on a car are stupefyingly complex and wildly different from state to state. I suppose there's a reason we need so many lawyers. :)

We need lawyers like we need bedbugs, since they write all these laws. That said, I believe you are mistaken about CA license plates being covered while parked on public roadways:

I dont know about Texas, but here in Kookistan, you cannot use anything that covers up the license plate, and that includes perfectly clear plastic covers, not just tinted covers. You must have a front license plate as well on all vehicles, except for motorcycles and trailers.

If you use a license plate frame, it cannot obstruct any part of the license plate tags, as well. If one violates any of these laws its "probable cause" for law-enforcement to pull you over, here in the land of Communism and political correctness.

I live in a fairly smaller town in Norcal, but even here, the cops can afford to have two police vehicles equipped with laser license plate readers. You can spot them easily, as the are attached to the Cherry-bar, on all four corners.

If it picks up something from a license plate, that's not Kosher, it alerts the officer on the console mounted computer readout, and he/she/it will alert the PD, as well as wait for the owner of the vehicle, if they are not in the parked car.

Gotta just love living in this frakking police state...........NOT!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Regardless of how this is justified, the Fact that LEOs would track our movements like this is horrifying! 1984 is here, right NOW!

Incidentally, we all scoffed at the idea that the Govt would track our "comings and goings." Under the guise of convenience for us, the Blue Meanies can track us by pinging our cell phones. More than one person was sent to Hell by drones targeting his personal phone.

Originally, the idea of tracking us was suggested with a chip being implanted in our bodies. That will never happen, right? Instead, we hug up closely to our cell phones and they can track us easily without implanted chips.

That's creepy, just plain creepy!

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Justify it all you want. It's still creepy!

Flash

How so? Have you ever stopped to consider they may actually be stopping the wrong people from obtaining firearms?!?

Yeah, I know, none of the paranoid types think the government can do anything right and everything wrong; but truth be told they actually have done a lot of good things to keep all of us safe.

However, it's ironic that people are concerned about the government seeing something that was issued to them by the government!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    How so? Have you ever stopped to consider they may actually be stopping the wrong people from obtaining firearms?!?

Yeah, I know, none of the paranoid types think the government can do anything right and everything wrong; but truth be told they actually have done a lot of good things to keep all of us safe.

However, it's ironic that people are concerned about the government seeing something that was issued to them by the government!

All of these 1984ish surveillance procedures were put in place to make life easier, safer and more convenient for the people. In fact, taking our guns away will make us much safer. Do you buy that?

Flash

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Just so I understand. Running plates of black guys in a white neighborhood is unconstitutional. Verifying brown folks citizenship/residency is unconstitutional. However selectively running the plates of another subset of people (gun owners/shoppers) is all good.

What about the whole local LEO doing this? Thought we were all safe and sound cause the locals wouldn't go along with crazy fed stuff? HMMMMM

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Regardless of how this is justified, the Fact that LEOs would track our movements like this is horrifying! 1984 is here, right NOW!

Incidentally, we all scoffed at the idea that the Govt would track our "comings and goings." Under the guise of convenience for us, the Blue Meanies can track us by pinging our cell phones. More than one person was sent to Hell by drones targeting his personal phone.

Originally, the idea of tracking us was suggested with a chip being implanted in our bodies. That will never happen, right? Instead, we hug up closely to our cell phones and they can track us easily without implanted chips.

That's creepy, just plain creepy!

Flash

I never assumed govenrment couldn't track our comings on goings. On the positive they are pretty incompetent at it...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...but here in Kookistan, you cannot use anything that covers up the license plate,...
    Thanks for the correction. I must have misunderstood or taken out of context the laws about parked vehicles as shown here:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...division=3.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=9.

To wit:

Vehicle Code - VEH
    CHAPTER 1. Original and Renewal of Registration; Issuance of Certificates of Title [4000 - 5506]
    ARTICLE 9. Display of Plates, Tabs, and Stickers [5200 - 5206]
    (b) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:
    (1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. A peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.
    ...​

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Middle finger to all the nannies. **** 'em if I want to drink. **** 'em if I want to toke to kill my pain. Or better yet... just **** 'em for interfering in my life (and freedoms) at all.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    All of these 1984ish surveillance procedures were put in place to make life easier, safer and more convenient for the people. In fact, taking our guns away will make us much safer. Do you buy that?

Flash

And more criminals are in jail because of "these 1984ish surveillance procedures." How did they catch the Boston Marathon bombers? Video surveillance.

Need more evidence of their usefulness? Here ya go...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/10/chilling-crimes-caught-on-camera_n_6357324.html

Why anyone believes they have beyond reasonable expectations of privacy in public places is beyond me. You don't have an absolute right to seclusion when in the public view, and as long as a person isn't being portrayed in a way that could be considered humiliating or from having their private details broadcast, it is perfectly legal.

The Fourth Amendment protects people from warrantless searches of places or seizures of persons or objects, in which they have an subjective expectation of privacy that is deemed reasonable in public norms.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    So, to overcome this all I gotta do is use ZW's plates at the gun show and get somebody else's plates to make a Tijuana run. Or heck, just use 2 different cars now that the cat is out of the bag.

Top Bottom