• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoydS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    SE Texas
    Please note that I am not looking for folks to hunt hogs on my land, so please respect this and don't ask. I am looking for opinions on a good hog trap. Since our feral hog population is getting more out of control and needs to be put in check, I'm wanting to try some traps. So for those of you that have experience in trapping these critters, what traps have you had the most success with? Having no experience with trapping feral hogs myself I have done some reading and have picked up a little knowledge, but need info from folks who have first hand experience. I would like your opinions of a decent trap and things I should know about trapping. I also have deer on the property, so is there a way to prevent trapping them in pursuit of the hogs..?
    Hurley's Gold

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Corral traps. Set the trip wire as far away from the door as you can and often you will get the whole sounder, thus not educating any pigs and making them trap wise. Snares along fence lines will also be very effective( but you will sometimes catch non target animals as well.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    Both above methods work great. Just don't attach the snares to your fence, a big pig will tear up some fence. Use a ground anchor instead.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    I vote 5 gallon water jug full of marbles with a 2 liter full of tangerine in the middle. Place in the feeding area and shoot from very very far away. Probably best to use cover just in case. Then let the coyotes take care of the mess.

This is a joke, but can you imagine the fallout?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I vote 5 gallon water jug full of marbles with a 2 liter full of tangerine in the middle. Place in the feeding area and shoot from very very far away. Probably best to use cover just in case. Then let the coyotes take care of the mess.

This is a joke, but can you imagine the fallout?
    Lol, tangerine. Autocorrect is a pain sometimes.

BoydS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    SE Texas
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate this. You gotta understand that I don't live on a lot of acreage, but the problem is here and real. I am in a rural area with other neighbors nearby so I am cautious when it comes to shooting them, but that alone hasn't reduced the population. Several neighbors have the box traps, but have not met with much success. I do like the idea of the corral trap and will be putting that idea to use. Found some instructions on how to build one on the TAM ag site that looks like a good and simple design. Just not sure on the best head gate to use. I've set up trail cameras and captured pictures of sounders up to 12 hogs. If something is not done soon they'll be multiplying to greater numbers.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Time for a suppressor stamp and a bucket full of soured deer corn. Fill a 5 gallon bucket about a third full of deer corn, add enough water to bring it up to at least half full, then set it in the sun for several days (high enough so the hogs can't get to it. After it sours, set it out where you want to shoot 'em, and blast 'em when they come runnin'! And don't give up, if they run off after you first start shooting, wait a few minutes and they'll come back as long as that stinky corn is still there.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I need to check out my buddy's trap.
    It's a cattle trailer with the rear gate modified.
    One way swing up door. Bait the area and keep bait in the trailer.
    Last I heard he was hooking up to the trailer and hauling off a load pretty regular.
    Seems like the ones outside get real nosy about the ones inside.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    I need to check out my buddy's trap.
    It's a cattle trailer with the rear gate modified.
    One way swing up door. Bait the area and keep bait in the trailer.
    Last I heard he was hooking up to the trailer and hauling off a load pretty regular.
    Seems like the ones outside get real nosy about the ones inside.
    Where does he 'transplant' them to? Maybe Glockster69 would like them, so he can hunt from his porch

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    Dig a small hole. Fill it with sour corn and put a big Rock on it. Sit down range with preferred rifle and have fun!!!

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    We removed countless pigs from our ranch. The most effective method we have used is a large corral trap with a push in door. Bait is on the far end from the door. When tripped the hogs go wild both inside and outside of the trap. But within an hour most of the pigs that were on the outside come back and see the ones on the inside feeding and they will push into the corral to get at that free food. We keep it baited often and arm it only seldom. That way the hogs are used to it and have less resistance to entering.

Box traps work, but you must keep them baited, and unarmed for a while to allow the hogs to become accustomed to the trap. The catch count is very limited. If you are seeing 12 at a time this is an option just not the best option as not all of the sounder will be in the trap at any given time. The ones not captured will become trap weary.

Shooting or hunting them is not for controlling the population. Sure its fun, but all it does is scatter them. Even with heavy hunting pressure the numbers just don't add up if your goal is to remove as many as you can. Then again, if you don't mind sending them to your neighbors this option works just fine.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've seen "figure 6" traps, but have not used one myself.

...keeping an eye on this thread because I need to trap some on my property, too.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We had a number of different types, but this kind is real simple to make. Not sure why the picture is showing up so small unless you click on it.

Basically, we had a trap door (red) that was hinged on top (green) with a lip (blue) on the bottom so they couldn't pick it up with their noses once inside. We'd do sour corn inside and prop it up with a stick so it would be open when they first looked in.

You can do this with either a box or a corral.

hogtrap.JPG

ETA: Yeah, I know my MSPaint skills suck.

Last edited:

doncom

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Marble Falls, TX
    Deer will get in box traps and are very hard to get out. Soak your corn in diesel to help keep deer from eating it. Corral traps work well. Good luck, it's really hard to get rid of hogs. You can sometimes run them off for a while but they almost always come back.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Deer will get in box traps and are very hard to get out. Soak your corn in diesel to help keep deer from eating it. Corral traps work well. Good luck, it's really hard to get rid of hogs. You can sometimes run them off for a while but they almost always come back.

And no matter what anyone says trying to rope a deer when they run out of a box trap is a bad idea - especially if you are successful

BoydS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    SE Texas
    Still looking at the corral trap as I want to get as many in the trap as I can, hopefully the entire sounder. I just listened to Billy Higginbotham on the Michael Berry radio show and he had some good info about these hogs. Here's another question, let's say I do trap a dozen hogs in one night. Now what am I going to do with them? Is there a buying station near the Houston area?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom