• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I wouldn't say I taught my wife so much as I provided her with the basic information she needed to be proficient, and she took it from there.

Kinda like you really can't teach someone to drive a stick. You make sure they understand its operation, and they learn the rest by feel.
    Hurley's Gold

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If one "doesn't" want their wife to shoot (for whatever reason), have her shoot a Ruger Birdshead grip 45 Colt with the 3" barrel and heavy duty ammo! :green: That should do it! :banana:
    ETA: Of course the divorce might cost you a great deal!

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Good suggestions and concerns from everyone. Thanks!

My fiancée is a very unique lady as she spent most of her life in Zambia over in Africa before she immigrated over to the US not too long ago. The culture, values, and traditions are different there from here and this is part of the reason why we work out so great for each other. Because of this many of the typical issues and ego conflicts that couples have here in the US both before and during marriage will very likely not be a concern. She will have no problem with me helping her and it also helps a lot that I am a pretty humble and easygoing person so the "training" will be fine. Also I have professionally trained people successfully so I have that going for me as well. ;)

P.S. Been married twice before so I have a pretty good idea on how to do it right this time around. LOL.

Last edited:

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    In shooting games where strength for recoil control is not a factor, the normal distribution of body weight of females gives them a base potential to be better precision pistol shooters than men. Back when the international shooting sports folks tried fully integrating the men and women, the experiment was ended when the women started embarrassing the men on a regular basis.

So, yeah. "Get ready to be out-shot" is exactly right.

She is very healthy and exercises regularly and is 5'10" tall. If she does not lose interest in shooting I have a feeling she will end up doing better then me. If she does that well than its fine by me.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    That she'll quickly surpass.
    Then you haz a nice .22 pistola.

9mm mid to full size for real shooting.
    Like maybe a....I dont know...M&P Compact .22?

Then she graduates up through a buncha 9mm's....

....and ends up taking the XDM 45 away that she bought for you a few Xmas's ago?

Sounds like a plan! <Dont ask me how I know>:green:

Seriously though, my boys taught my wife.....it was a good thing.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    many of the typical issues and ego conflicts that couples have here in the US both before and during marriage will very likely not be a concern.
    You're either very lucky or you chose well. Either way, congrats.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas

I’d suggest that might be a little deep in the weeds for a non-shooter to start with, but my idea and your idea of a weekend SD class may not be the same.

If I was in this situation , I’d ask my wife to look into a variety of offerings for new shooters, whether it’s a basic pistol course, a female-oriented course, or a full on weekend course and let her make the decision with my full support.
    I dunno. Wife went to a 1 day class that covered nomenclature, basic marksmanship, and some SD concepts and did fine. It is a starting point and not the ending point to either of those points.

Also, when you don't have any preconceived notions and are open to learning, it is much easier to teach those concepts. The issue with spouses is two fold. Some guys think they have a solid understanding of shooting and safety when they don't and women are more apt to listen to a male stranger instructor than their husband. That is simply the truth.

I went to a Safariland sponsored class and i can't remember the guy's name. World champion shooter but terrible teacher.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Not being a formally trained instructor I try to go about it in two stages(which is not always possible of course).
    This may not be the "correct" way but its worked for me.

1.) sit down at a quiet relaxed place without any live ammo before range day.
    Let the trainee see/handle/snap/ask about/and-yes-play with the guns.
    Use colored snap caps to demonstrate loading/unloading.
    If you have one of those laser chamber inserts that's even better. Do some dry fire on the wall.
    This is the perfect time to discuss the safety rules/do&don'ts/etc.
    No stress helps them to absorb the info.

2.) On the firing line.
    Many newby trainees are quite nervous at the line.
    Other shooters firing away makes for an intense experience.
    Dumping a crap load of rules, gun handling techniques, and non-applicable gun data at this time can be overwhelming. Often leaving them bewildered and upset they've forgotten a rule or some shit. Keep it simple as possible.
    This is supposed to be fun. Don't drown them with extraneous info.
    Be relaxed and smooth. They read your body language.
    If your all tensed up, nervous, and agitated they will be too.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I dunno. Wife went to a 1 day class that covered nomenclature, basic marksmanship, and some SD concepts and did fine. It is a starting point and not the ending point to either of those points...

That is squarely what I meant by your idea of a SD class and mine may not be the same. I’d lump that into a beginner pistol course.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I can agree with that. Of course, the overwhelming majority of people have no idea how to teach anything.

I've heard world champion shooters speak with great respect of other shooters who are mediocre marksmen but great coaches. OTOH, we all know what happened when Chapman opened his shooting school; he was a world champion but he couldn't teach his way out of a paper bag.

Knowing how to do something and knowing how to teach it are completely different skills.
    This, 100%!
    Plus, family members tend not to take coaching from family members well.
    When I coached youth bowling years ago, all the coaches quickly learned the stupidity of trying to coach our own kids most of the time.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    .22LR
    Suppressed .22LR
    Suppressed 9mm

The gun won't explode, shoot a gigantic ball of fire out the front, or try to jump out of her hands.

Makes shooting for the first time less intimidating in my opinion.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Most of the teaching should take place before a live round is ever fired. Something I've always done to the females I've taught to shoot (started them off with a Hi-Power) is a little bit of reverse psychology. When it finally came time to fire a live round, I would stand behind/over them with my arms reached around with one hand trying to brace their arm and the other hand held up as if to catch the gun when the recoil sent it flying back up into their face. Lean into them slightly as if they're preparing to fire one of those movie guns that can throw people off their feet.

They get nervous, then after they fire they ask, "That's it?"

That becomes their perception of felt recoil for a standard handgun. Drop to a 22 and it's just for fun. Shoot a small pocket pistol, well that has more recoil, but it's because of the size. They seem to adjust better if their first experience is a relief not a punishment and they don't have to worry about building up to something bigger.

But that's just my opinion.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Am I going to be the only one going to recommend letting a female work with her? Men and women have different strength levels, size of hands, ways of relating, etc.

Sign her up for “A Girl and A Gun League” if there’s a chapter near you. My AGAG leader is also an NRA instructor. She helped me undo all my bad habits I picked up from my husband and I learning to shoot together on our own.

Top Bottom