Target Sports

First Atomic Bomb Dropped on Hiroshima Today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Some may call my original question about your CIB being nosy but it gave us an opportunity to know some important facts about your life and to show our respect to your service.

I'm glad that I asked and every time I see your avatar, I'll ponder what that symbol means. Thank you for sharing the story with us AND most of all, thank you for your service!

Flash
    Guns International

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Some may call my original question about your CIB being nosy ...

You obviously took my "none of my business" remark wrong, plain an simple. It was indeed nobody's business to remark upon, or answer your question, until the man had an opportunity to do so himself. Any question of you being nosy is solely in your own mind.

EDIT: going to leave it like was written, but apologize for the tone. Not really what I meant to say. It was a long night...

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Some may call my original question about your CIB being nosy but it gave us an opportunity to know some important facts about your life and to show our respect to your service.

I'm glad that I asked and every time I see your avatar, I'll ponder what that symbol means. Thank you for sharing the story with us AND most of all, thank you for your service!

Flash
    Nosy...NOT at all in fact and this goes out to everyone. If you see this as an avatar ASK. I make a habit of flushing out posers and there is no shortage of them on the forums. All kinds of war hero's, from Vietnam forward. I have seen some horrible mistakes that were downright comical: The guy who was in Vietnam in '77. Worse, when I told him we were out by Apr of '75 he challenged me on it, he left the forum.

Or the guy who kept on and on with his war stories and bravado. The he started posting pictures and said it was taken in the An Lao Valley of him and his buddies. Easy to tell he was no grunt. Then I told him there is no jungle in the An Lao, its all rice paddies, I ought to know, I was there.

I have met on the forums more SEALs, SF and Rangers than I ever met or knew in my 26 years of military service.

Tips: If they claim they were in Army prior to 71 and or drafted, ask them their service number, draftees have a US prefix, those who joined have a RA prefix, and if they say they forgot the number...NO such thing...mine was US 56761125, beginning in 72 or late 71 the military switched to your SS #.

Nosy, no, not at all, in fact I am flattered I was asked, shows you care enough to ask and make sure I am the real deal. I was in a eatery the other day and they gave a military discount. I got out my ID card and showed it to the guy and he said I don't need to see it...I was offended. I told him so, if you don't ask you are hurting me, only give it to those who have an ID card, if not then its full price...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Sunday, August 10, 2014

Hiroshima's Lessons for the War on Terror

Posted by Daniel Greenfield @ the Sultan Knish blog 5 Comments

In the summer of '45, the United States concluded a war that had come to be seen by some as unwinnable after the carnage at Iwo Jima with a bang.

Nagasaki-a-bomb.jpg
    On August 6th, the bomb fell on Hiroshima. And then on the 9th, it was Nagasaki's turn. Six days later, Japan, which had been preparing to fight to the last man, surrendered.

For generations of liberals those two names would come to represent the horror of America's war machine when they actually saved countless American and Japanese lives.

The two bombs stand in stark contrast to our endless nation-building exercises in which nothing is ever finished until we give up. Instead Truman cut the Gordian Knot and avoided a long campaign that would have depopulated Japan and destroyed the lives of a generation of American soldiers.

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2014/08/hiroshimas-lessons-for-war-on-terror.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FromNyToIsraelSultanRevealsTheStoriesBehindTheNews+%28from+NY+to+Israel+Sultan+Reveals+The+Stories+Behind+the+News%29

Some of you may want to read this:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Tips: If they claim they were in Army prior to 71 and or drafted, ask them their service number, draftees have a US prefix, those who joined have a RA prefix, and if they say they forgot the number...NO such thing...mine was US 56761125, beginning in 72 or late 71 the military switched to your SS #.

IIRC, the change was 1969. I was drafted in '67 and my service number has fewer digits 05435408. I separated in '72, well after the SSAN became your SN, but, although I remember the US designatioT, don't remember if going through OCS had anything to do with the fewer digits?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    IIRC, the change was 1969. I was drafted in '67 and my service number has fewer digits 05435408. I separated in '72, well after the SSAN became your SN, but, although I remember the US designatioT, don't remember if going through OCS had anything to do with the fewer digits?
    I was drafted, 25 Jan 67, if you were too then your prefix was US. But when you became and officer you prob got a new number, the Officer corp had different numbers and at one time it had something to do with how many officers were Auth by Congress at the time of your commission...IIRC

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I was drafted, 25 Jan 67, if you were too then your prefix was US. But when you became and officer you prob got a new number, the Officer corp had different numbers and at one time it had something to do with how many officers were Auth by Congress at the time of your commission...IIRC

Yep. By coincidence, my original service number with the US prefix, upon being drafted in 1967, had an almost identical number sequence to my TDL, which I got at 14 in 1957. While I've never forgotten my TDL number, my service number, although we called it out numerous times a day in both Basic and AIT, has since been overwritten on my internal hard drive. IOW, I'm going to take the Lois Lerner defense on that. ;)

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Yep. By coincidence, my original service number with the US prefix, upon being drafted in 1967, had an almost identical number sequence to my TDL, which I got at 14 in 1957. While I've never forgotten my TDL number, my service number, although we called it out numerous times a day in both Basic and AIT, has since been overwritten on my internal hard drive. IOW, I'm going to take the Lois Lerner defense on that. ;)

Branch of ServiceDate of Changeover
    Army and Air ForceJuly 1, 1969
    Navy and Marine CorpsJanuary 1, 1972
    Coast GuardOctober 1, 1974

Top Bottom