• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    I screwed up. I just had a ND doing dry fire practice. I was reading a thread on THR about somebody that was having bullet setback with their self defense rounds and realized it had been a bit since I checked mine for setback. So I dropped the mag on my Sarlsilmaz (here's were I $#@!ed up:banghead:) and didn't clear the chamber. Go and check against some of my HSTs that hadn't been been loaded into a mag yet. Everything checked out fine with my HSTs, no setback.

I load my mag back up and had my second chance to correct my mistake when I noticed my mag wasn't full with the rounds I had checked:banghead:. I figured I had lost one of my HSTs during a previous dry fire session (seemed odd to me as I'm usually reilgious about putting the ejected round back into the mag immedietely). I go and grab one of my never loaded HSTs and threw it in the mag and set it aside in my reloading room. Walk back to my bedroom and picked up my gun for my daily dry fire practice and made mistake number 3 of not checking the chamber:banghead:. Only time I've ever not checked the chamber.

Aim at my usual dry fire spot, my closet doorknob in a direction facing right at the corner of my house, no other rooms behind it just the doorknob (or door), sheetrock, insulation, OSB and then 5"+ thick limestone masonry. Squeeze the trigger and I'm deaf for about 3 seconds and in shock at first. Then it dawns on me, I $#@!ed up.

Lucky me this was probably the least damaging in house ND ever. It at least told me my aim was really good as there's a hole 1" from the center of my doorknob. Pulled the doorknob right off and drilled the screws out of the latch to take apart the rest of the knob. Push the other side through and there is the bullet jacket and a wad of lead sitting right in front of the latch mechanism, It dented it in a bit and shattered the linkage so now I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to get back in my closet without busting my door jam.

I was just so antsy about waiting on UPS to deliver my .223 reloading stuff that I messed up two chances to chamber check and one really REALLY obvious sign that I still had a bullet in the chamber. I am no longer doing dry fire practice with my real gun anywhere but the range into a berm. I will be investing in a Tanfoglio Witness airsoft copy (Tanfoglio Limited CO2 Airsoft GBB Gun - Tanfoglio Airsoft Gun - AirSplat.com - AirSoft Gun Warehouse) for dry fire practice without a co2 cartridge installed. Also will be able to practice stuff like double taps in the house. I should have invested in that thing a long time ago :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

So ya, moral of the story....CHAMBER CHECK WHEN DRY FIRING!!!

I highly suggest yall invest in airsoft copies too if yall do regular home dry fire practice like me. Don't ever think yourself better than to have brain farts, they happen to the best of us.
    Thanks for sharing! I have had one too with dads Mini-14. That saftey is just in the wrong spot :banghead:

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    This is heavy coat season. You might as well use a BB gun. Or let the bad guy get bit by a mosquito.

.45 FTW
    You haven't seen heavy coats 'til you've been in Michigan in late December or January, when the ambient temp is ten below zero with twenty MPH winds. I've got one that's a good three inches thick front and back, filled with old cotton quilt batting. Add in a wool sweater underneath that, plus a T-shirt or two and the old 9 versus 45 debate gets interesting quick.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I still can't believe the lack of damage on that door knob. I think I will have to shoot one this weekend to see what happens.

Top Bottom