• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Budgets not going to be able to buy a complete 12bolt. I've scowered' the internet. Found one complete assembly, moser, option 3, drag links, billstein shocks, drive shaft, all brakes, springs.

Dude wants $3498 for the whole mess. Too rich for me.

The stock axle with mods is said to be good for 450hp. That's all i need. I'm never putting slicks on the car. The engine is staying stock.

If I go to 12bolt. Ill buy the housing. Then swap meet the rest. The stock 7.5 from my understanding, can be stuffed to 3.42.

I'm assuming, if I go to 3.73....I need a pos'y carrier.

3.42 factory? Or about $300 for a posi carrier, and $150 for gears?

Im Not spending that much to improve a crappy 7.5.
    Don't bet any HP on that one.

Got a plasma cutter and a welder the grab a Dana 44 and fit it, need more. go Dana 60, but you don't seem to be reaching that high and don't blame you. But if you ever want to run with the big boys then call Jim at Dynatrac and grab something from his ProRock series, I ran ProRock 60 with ARB lockers, 4:88 gears, 35 spline hardened shafts...built to handle up to a 1000 HP and if that is not enough go with the 70 or 80 series. Few years back my rig was featured in his catalog.

As for stuffing big R&P in small housings, sure you can do it and save a few buck...ya think? Don't bet on it, you will never save a dime as it will let you down, I GUARANTEE IT! If it doesn't then you are believing what you are telling the boys down at the Sonic drive in what you have under the hood.

The only thing worse than losing is breaking when you lose. I never minded when someone beat me because they were the better driver and or just squeezed more performance than I did, fine by me, I will tune better, shift faster and pay closer attention. I only broke once, Old Gator Drag Strip Shreveport La, summer 1965, I vowed to never break again due to my engineering and I never did. I broke because I put my focus on HP and had a LOT MORE than I did axle. I did my second gear shift at 7000 and the axle EXPLODED, R&P, housing and the cover was ripped off the housing.

Decide how far you want to reach then match your components and have fun, no fun in fixing broke, let the better man beat you, don't beat yourself...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Guys, she's a stock z28, five years off, being classic. She's never been jammed, turned out in a downtown Houston street race. Not a stain on the carpet nor seats. Ashtray has never been used.

These cars are some tough hotrods. But this one is staying cherry.

I'm not cutting or welding on the car. I'm basically rebuilding the suspension and steering, couple of up grades. Monster heavy duty 4l60e. Rebuilding the drive line, from engine back. 15" Weld draglites, car raised about 1 1/2".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Update on parts.

Tie rods, inner/out

Ball joints, up, low. Right and left

Bushings, control arms (factory rubber, oem replacement), up, low, right and left.

Upper strut mounts, right and left

Struts and shocks, kyb gas a just.

U joints, both

15x10, 7.5 BS weld draglite x 2.... 275/60/15 tires.

15x5, 3.5 BS weld draglite x2....195/70/15 tires

Centercaps, ARP wheel studs 12mm x2, open end lug nuts long shank, washers, 3/8" spacers x2.

Monster SS 4l60e

That's as far as I've gotten. I still need torque arm mount insert. Rear end stuff. Brake pads, and a bunch of fluids and oil.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    CMC ... meh ... vert? I wouldn't.
    Ran CMC for several years ... good time but glad I got it out my system.

Strange 12 bolt ...
    Parting out car - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

I joined the site, and hit the dude up. Thanks for lead the Mitch!

OC, took your advice on the ploy bushings. This camaro has a more technical suspension then a mustang. Lots more moving parts. Camaro suspensions are designed to 'wiggle'. In more then one direction. Not just pivot.

Poly bushings ain't for these cars....reports of folks breaking A arms from the cheaper poly bushings binding up. She's going back together, like GM meant.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Update on parts.

Tie rods, inner/out

Ball joints, up, low. Right and left

Bushings, control arms (factory rubber, oem replacement), up, low, right and left.

Upper strut mounts, right and left

Struts and shocks, kyb gas a just.

U joints, both

15x10, 7.5 BS weld draglite x 2.... 275/60/15 tires.

15x5, 3.5 BS weld draglite x2....195/70/15 tires

Centercaps, ARP wheel studs 12mm x2, open end lug nuts long shank, washers, 3/8" spacers x2.

Monster SS 4l60e

That's as far as I've gotten. I still need torque arm mount insert. Rear end stuff. Brake pads, and a bunch of fluids and oil.

Added to the part list, rock auto.

Rack bushings

Rear main seal

Belt kit (idler, tensioner, belt)

Spark plugs Bosch OE replacement

Plug wires Bosch

Distributor cap and rotor.

Front springs.

Parts added, summit

Torque arm, tunnel mount (the 4l60e will be a one piece case, I want it to stay one piece, GM is retarded hanging the torque arm mount on the tranny in the first place)

All parts are Mevotech, where rock auto has it. Otherwise Moog, felpro, Bosch....no economy parts. OE or better grade.

Total bill so far, $3975.59

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Added to the part list, rock auto.

Rack bushings

Rear main seal
    May have one.

Belt kit (idler, tensioner, belt)

Spark plugs Bosch OE replacement

Plug wires Bosch
    Be gentle with the stock wire looms. The boots are millimeters away from the exhaust manifold.
    Those looms are critical to maintain wire integrity.

Distributor cap and rotor.
    Take some sage advice ... if it ain't broke, don;t jack with it. Optis are finicky.

Front springs.

Parts added, summit

Torque arm, tunnel mount (the 4l60e will be a one piece case, I want it to stay one piece, GM is retarded hanging the torque arm mount on the tranny in the first place)
    Stop buying stuff till you visit my shed. Seriously. The clamshell mount has been raced for years without an issue.

All parts are Mevotech, where rock auto has it. Otherwise Moog, felpro, Bosch....no economy parts. OE or better grade.

Total bill so far, $3975.59

I've got parts from a dozen stripped cars
    So many, I fabbed a ladder to my deer blind out of the side impact bars.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've got parts from a dozen stripped cars
    So many, I fabbed a ladder to my deer blind out of the side impact bars.

It's taken me a while to pick parts. I'm finally finished. Added hoses, 3.73 gears, rear end rebuild kit. Rad hoses, caliber seals. I need to see what's entailed in deleting the abs.

Ill hold off on the dis cap. I've have this car before. Back then a brand new distributor ran $600. Mine was a 1993. It didn't have the vacuum weep hole. Light rain, and she backfire, spit, stall. I had to pull the distributor, dry the Damn thing, put it back on.

Huge pain. I finally bought a rebuilt. Cause water, jacked up the other one.

This optispark crap, isn't one of the best GM ideals. Ill pull the cap, if she needs it, ill replace it. But we both know....these caps crud up. It's had 82,000 miles. I'm sure it's full of spark crud and carbon. Maybe a dirt douber'

She runs ok. But you can tell the spark is off, at idle. Polly the Damn MAP.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I want some opinions on the top. From the look of it, the cover and curtain needs replaced. Ill make sure.

Any way. The choices of color are white, tan, black. The inside of the top can the same color or another color. I believe more then three colors. Such as red.

What color combo would look good on it? I'm leaning tan. It's a color close to carhart coats. The interior is charcoal.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I had a '94 z28 six speed, red/black with red/black interior (never saw that interior on another camaro). Still wish I hadn't sold it! Such fun car and looked amazing, even at 17 years old!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Found a place that'll repair the radio....$65. Volume control.

It seems aftermarket radios are all the rage. You could spend $500 for an aftermarket, and still not touch the qauilty or 1/3rd the price of what the factory stuck in the dash. After a few years of repairing theft recovery and replacing factory radios. The price GM wants for these, its worth it.

To each their I guess...

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    No tunnel mounted torque arm. Going with a BMI tranny mount torque arm instead.

parts are being ordered monday. Since the parts are coming from warehouse A all the way to E on rockauto. Im guessing parts will trickle in from 3-6 days. Summit prolly 4 days. Idk about the drop ship on the tranny.

Taking my time. Removing extra things like the wheel well covers, cleaning up the subframe. Rust repair if any, undercoated. 2 weeks. Dependent mostly how cold it is. 30 gal burn barrel would be the ticket...

Cost so far....

RockAuto $1274.97

Summit Racing $1325.76

Monster Transmission $1524.00+ the drop charge. I think it's $50.

What's left of the budget go's to a couple tools. I need a torque wrench. Steering wheel lock plate remover'. Fluids, oil, hand cleaner, spray paint. Convertible top stuff.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ordered the transmission today. Monster Transmission, high performance race. 1 piece car housing. 1650 stall with lock up. Chrome, factory deep pan, with drain plug.

They have a sale till the 16th. 10% off. Saved $152.

Dropped shipped at my door...$50.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Are you planning on lowering the car any?

If so, a buddy of mine has a set of unobtainium LG Motorsports springs for the front and rear.
    Great handling springs for a full weight car.

I ran these springs along with bilstein shocks on my street car for years.

adcks0.jpg

Here are the springs installed on his car.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Are you planning on lowering the car any?

If so, a buddy of mine has a set of unobtainium LG Motorsports springs for the front and rear.
    Great handling springs for a full weight car.

I ran these springs along with bilstein shocks on my street car for years.

adcks0.jpg

Here are the springs installed on his car.

This thing barely clears Killeen speed bumps like it is. I'm adding 1/2" spacers to the rear. Looking at 27"-28" tires. Prolly BF Goodrich T/A on the back. Yokohomo' front. 27".

Lol, I'd rather raise the car 1". That sound a speed bump makes, crunching the sub frame torque boxes....

Unkewl.

Serious question. How the hell do y'all get a floor jack under these lowered f-bodies?

Last edited:

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    Just a suggestion...

If you plan on putting any power to ground and hooking you should forget about Goodrich T/A's. Rock hard tires.
    You want this car to handle in curves,those tires will not hold. Hate to see you wrap it around something after all the work you are fixing to put into it.

Top Bottom