Ford lover, saves a 94' Z28

Jan 5, 2012
HK
My dye in the wool, Ford loving behind', came across a lost Chevy. She choose me. You can stand by this thing and feel a mechanical soul. Her French butt, screamed to be taken home...

1994 Chevy Camaro Z28 convertible. 5.7lt LT1, 4L60 auto. GU2 axle (2.73)

Less common mystic teal. Hair over 82,000 miles. Passed Travis county emissions. Sold brand new out of Midland, Texas.

Cruised 80-85mph from south Austin to I35. Even with a crappy transmission. Has the Parade top cover. Factory cig lighter, factory radio.

Only thing not stocked, not fucked with, is the muffler. Looks flow master. No change to the intermediate pipe.

She's gonna need her front end, transmission, and rear end rebuilt. She's getting poly bushings, struts, shocks, track arm...etc.

I'm gonna install a GU5 ring and pinion. It's like 3.43 or something.

Weld draglites, 15x5(or 6") front. 15x10 rear. Longer wheel studs on the front. Maybe grinding the caliber to make them fit.

The tranny, I'm rebuilding my self, as well as the rest of the work. It's easy, ill show how to get $1500 worth of 4L60e for about $400-500 bucks. Complete to replacing the bushings. Not a specialized transmission tool in my box. There's ways around that.

This is gonna be a really long thread. Lots of man hours. But take a look. She's worth it:

Even Ford guys have a sweet spot for Fbodys. When I'm done, she'll be sweet ride. Still getting 28mpg on the highway.

Stay tuned. First thing is ordering the parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

TX69

TGT Addict
Dec 23, 2012
DFW
Awesome! Funny how I look at these cars and think 1994 isn't that old and then realize its 20 years.

Jan 5, 2012
HK
Awesome! Funny how I look at these cars and think 1994 isn't that old and then realize its 20 years.
You ain't the only one. I owned one of these. Back in the day. Same year. But it was red, black top, auto. Same car as this one.

It feels like a few years ago. Not 20.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2012
HK
Where's the best, cheapest, American made parts, online parts store???

Summit's has the non factory stuff. But I needs Moog ball joints. U joints, struts, shocks, hoses, sp wires.

Partgeeks? Who?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
Want 2 piston, 12" 98+ brakes?

I have knuckles, calipers and abutment brackets.
I also have new guide pins and can probably come up with parts for steel braided bake lines.

I also have upper and lower A-arms. Rebuild them and do the swap so the car remains a roller.

I have all kinds of parts stashed from when we were stripping them making race cars.

You can have them if you want them.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2012
HK
Nice ride ! I had a 96 Impala SS with that same motor 5.7 LT1 and loved it.

It's almost is the same. I had a friend mess around with a couple of impalas. He replaced a motor with one out a camaro.

The heads on the camaro are alloy. The lt1 in your ride has iron heads.

Otherwise. Same thing.

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
Want 2 piston, 12" 98+ brakes?

I have knuckles, calipers and abutment brackets.
I also have new guide pins and can probably come up with parts for steel braided bake lines.

I also have upper and lower A-arms. Rebuild them and do the swap so the car remains a roller.

I have all kinds of parts stashed from when we were stripping them making race cars.

You can have them if you want them.
generous offer.

kudos to mitch!

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online