• Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Frog Lube Test
    MyB46UpmjMCB6zsDQAunAVO291qLkujUm-dqSM4JfHn2rw_rFkPD_ay7Vgw_PbXOcy3Xczqs51WhomzhI53Wc6CrQdm-7lmA.jpg
    This Spring, I was able to get ahold of a bottle of Frog Lube gun cleaner, and a tube of Frog Lube CLP along with directions on how to properly prep my gun for a first time application and lubrication. It was easy enough-apply the solvent to all areas and vigorously scrub clean. Then wipe down, and apply the Frog Lube CLP-preferably after the gun has been sitting in the sun for a little while, or applied with a heatgun. As you use the gun and let the lube become conditioned into the gun, it will be easier to clean.

The gun I used for this test was a Windham Weaponry WW15. My WW-15 had an estimated 1,000-1,200 rounds put through it without a single gun related incident. So I was pretty confident in the guns ability and as long as the lube held up on its end, then the rifle should perform without any issues.

Ok, I’ve got my WW15 lubed up and ready to start my own test. The first one I did was simply lube and toss it in a locker for a month. People do this all the time, and I wanted to see that after a month, it would still be covering all areas equally and not have evaporated, run off from gravity, or hardened up. After the month was up, it was looking alright. It was a little thicker than your average CLP-almost like it has a touch of gun grease mixed in with it. I figure this was just intended to keep the product on there with a decent thickness, and increase its ability to catch and hold carbon build up. The heat created by my gun from shooting should have no problem loosening it up.

My next test was a simple performance test. I took it to the range and I ran 90 rounds of Federal M183. It wasn't anything like a mag dump-I was actually just doing normal range day fun, while watching for any issues in performance. At the end of the day, there were no issues had.

When I got home, I took it apart to do a quick inspection of the parts I could see without doing a BCG tear down, and then I ran a bore-snake through the barrel a few times. I knew that my gun group had a meet coming up in about another month, and a lot of people let their rifles go with far more rounds fired before they clean them, so I just put it away to simulate someone with the mindset of cleaning every 500-1000 rounds.
    027gE2JxRoWy5dUmXsccuZv0GOqgeST7AZWuytLsbtOUdH31GGBjIdqOz_HYuGuF10t34MGx5sYDBqOk4h-JStVVDiSAcy9w.jpg
    Another month passed, and I pulled my WW15 out of the locker. I did another inspection of the lube-sure enough, it was kind of tacky, but it ran pretty good last time so I wasn’t too worried about it. I brought along some PMC X-TAC, PMC X-TAC GREEN TIP, Federal M-183, and put out an open invite to everyone in the group that they could run whatever they wanted through it.

The morning started out with me grabbing a few mags and dumping them on the Mustang that we had brought out to shoot and blow up at the end of the day. I was getting beautiful shots, and my Primary Arms Micro Dot seemed to be landing every shot pretty much where I wanted it at 100 yds. After playing around with it a little bit, I was offered a chance of a lifetime. One of the members brought along a nice sized stack of loaded mags! After everything was dug out and counted up, there was 840 rounds. He offered, I double checked to make sure it wasn't a joke and that I was understanding him clearly, and then it was on!
    3XnY5qKi9VJqg6jiG-0WeDEq0wTiB2sFxlNxqgq_SA-ohBEq79HINTgVVTgqBjAp0xgCTAPSMmSQ1qJqZ47bPjAiu2y2kCkw.jpg
    At that point, this test went from being a Frog Lube test, to a Frog Lube Torture test. We were firing that rifle non-stop as fast as we could feed mags into it. There’s smoke coming off into my eyes from the oil on the barrel burning off, we have a nice brass pile building up, and at one point-we even had to stop momentarily to swap out foregrips. Apparently, the Magpul angled foregrip doesn't hold off heat so well. Since I happened to have gloves, I was able to swap it out for a traditional Magpul vertical foregrip, took off the gloves and then we kept going. In hindsight-ehhh...maybe wasn't the best move to just go non-stop like we did on that barrel, but DAMN it was a blast! I actually had to keep swapping out with the guy who provided the ammo to give our hands a break. At one point, most people broke off for lunch, so a handful of us stepped up to the 30 yd line to unleash on the Mustang from a closer distance. I took a break after that, and placed my WW15 on my portable AR workbench so it could cool off.

About an hour later, I came back and ran a few more shots through it to make sure everything was still functioning properly. That entire day, I only had two issues with it-both were mag related failure to feeds. I think both times it was just a round not seated properly in the mag. For as many mags as we went through-that’s almost expected, so it was no big deal. Once I got home, I learned one thing DID fail on my rifle. I wore out my gas rings. Not really upset-if that’s the only problem I had, mechanically after all that we put the gun through, then I’m doing pretty good. As far as the lube goes-here’s where it impressed me-I had very minimal Frog Lube burnoff, and the carbon buildup was pretty much non-existent. There was one small patch that may have been ⅛ inch wide by about ¼ inch long stuck on the rear end of the bolt, and a small ring around the firing pin , but that’s it! Even the little bit around the firing pin wasn't as bad as I've seen with CLP and far fewer rounds. After the 90 rounds from the first outing, the 120 rounds I did on my own to start the morning out, and then the 840 rounds donated, that brings the round count for this test to 1,050.

I’m very impressed. In my opinion, Frog Lube CLP performs above and beyond my expectations and I will be a continued user as long as it keeps up it’s outstanding performance.

Texas SOT

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Nice job SJ.
    Good pics.
    Descent sentence structure and grammar.

I'll do an actual "proof read" and let ya know if anything pops up.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Nice job SJ.
    Good pics.
    Descent sentence structure and grammar.

I'll do an actual "proof read" and let ya know if anything pops up.

Thankyou Vaquero-I'm gonna let this sit here for a few days before I actually send it in to Frog Lube. Constructive criticism is appreciated!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    great write up. not sure why FL seems to piss some people off, but since I have started using it, cleanups are a breeze.

Because they refuse to release the ingredients. I'd like to get ahold of some; I suspect it is just pomade mixed with mint extract.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Because they refuse to release the ingredients. I'd like to get ahold of some; I suspect it is just pomade mixed with mint extract.

Why would they release the ingredients? Does Hoppes, etc. release the ingredients? Heck, most of the food you eat out of a package doesn't give you the exact ingredients, IE "natural flavors" etc. I've been using Frog Lube for the past year and can honestly say I won't be switching to anything else.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Good write-up. Paragraph 3, penultimate sentence: change "it's" to "its". Also, I would scrap the comments about the Magpul AFG and heat issues if you're sending this to FL.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Good write-up. Paragraph 3, penultimate sentence: change "it's" to "its". Also, I would scrap the comments about the Magpul AFG and heat issues if you're sending this to FL.

I'd also stick to only talking about the rifle you're using for testing (no talking about the other firearms you've used Frog Lube on). I would probably keep the part about the high heat, but remove specific brand names. Something to the effect of "had to switch grip styles due to the high heat coming off the barrel". Reason I say keep it is to show the conditions it was tested under, but remove "Magpul" because you're not testing Magpul products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Good catch with the catch of spelling-it makes perfect sense now that you pointed it out. I wanted to make sure and point out the heat issues so I could get across just how hot I really got that gun and the Frog Lube still stood up through it all.

I'd also stick to only talking about the rifle you're using for testing (no talking about the other firearms you've used Frog Lube on). I would probably keep the part about the high heat, but remove specific brand names. Something to the effect of "had to switch grip styles due to the high heat coming off the barrel". Reason I say keep it is to show the conditions it was tested under, but remove "Magpul" because you're not testing Magpul products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Ok, I may go ahead and remove the Magpul names. It wasn't mentioned by you two, but I did also name the optic by brand. I will be keeping that part in for the TGT members, with all the talk that goes around about Primary Arms Micro Dots. I've heard some question be brought up about their build quality, and I think it being able to handle all the vibration on the gun and not have any glitching issues AND stay on point throughout the test puts it in a good light. I can go in the main copy and edit out both brand names and just leave in that it's a Windham so the reader knows that this was tested on a properly put together gun with a reputable name.

Last edited:

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It's almost all I run, and works great. My 1911s seem to love the stuff. In fact, the one gun I DIDN'T use it on before was one that had a seemingly cleaning related issue at Hicksville. Gunk got built up on the extractor and caused trouble until I scraped it off.

I generally do the normal treatement, then after I shoot I just break down the gun, wipe off any crud, and I'm good to go again. Once every maybe 300-500 rounds I'll reapply in a smaller amount or apply more if there's any build up that doesnt come off easily.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Good catch with the catch of spelling-it makes perfect sense now that you pointed it out. I wanted to make sure and point out the heat issues so I could get across just how hot I really got that gun and the Frog Lube still stood up through it all.

Ok, I may go ahead and remove the Magpul names. It wasn't mentioned by you two, but I did also name the optic by brand. I will be keeping that part in for the TGT members, with all the talk that goes around about Primary Arms Micro Dots. I've heard some question be brought up about their build quality, and I think it being able to handle all the vibration on the gun and not have any glitching issues AND stay on point throughout the test puts it in a good light. I can go in the main copy and edit out both brand names and just leave in that it's a Windham so the reader knows that this was tested on a properly put together gun with a reputable name.

Naming the manufacturer of the rifle in is fine by me, because that is a main component of your test. However, the grips, optics, other firearms, etc. are not, so anything on the gun itself (no other weapons need mention) should just get generic names (IE angled grip, vertical grip, red dot optic).

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Naming the manufacturer of the rifle in is fine by me, because that is a main component of your test. However, the grips, optics, other firearms, etc. are not, so anything on the gun itself (no other weapons need mention) should just get generic names (IE angled grip, vertical grip, red dot optic).

Agree. For the purpose of FL submission, scrap the other brand names. We, however, are certainly interested in them.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom