• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Well, if the reason for a get together on New Year's, is due strictly because guns can be OC, making a big deal out of it?

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Anyone want to do an over/under on if someone will be there in a banana hammock and a trench coat and will open it like a flasher at the "uncovering of the handguns"?

How many neckbeards without LTC will be finger banging their bubbafied AKs?

Will Capt'n Murica make an appearance in his leotard?

We've disagreed in the past, but that post is pure eloquence.

300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    It does make one wonder what these folks have for brains, I can not and I have given this some thought.
    Think of one reason to open carry.
    I can think of several to carry concealed.
    Best/joe

Open carry is a lot more comfortable
    Open carry is easier to access the gun faster
    open carry enables carrying a larger gun with more capacity

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Open carry is a lot more comfortable
    Sometimes, but not necessarily
    Open carry is easier to access the gun faster
    That depends entirely on how much you train
    open carry enables carrying a larger gun with more capacity
    Bullshit( unless you are carrying a scorpion or an Uzi)

Answers in bold.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Answers in bold.

Too bad they're not correct. Open carry is far easier and more comfortable the concealed carry in the vast majority of situations. Not just "sometimes," but most times!

And sorry, on average it is also a lot faster drawing a weapon from open carry than concealed. Sure, some people can draw faster than others; but I have yet to see one person who can draw a concealed weapon faster than one openly carried.

Lastly, open carry does allow most people to carry larger capacity firearms. It is not easy to conceal carry a 1911 or most full-sized pistols; which is why compact and smaller caliber handguns are more commonly carried. I doubt you'll see a lot of people openly carrying a .380...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Too bad they're not correct. Open carry is far easier and more comfortable the concealed carry in the vast majority of situations. Not just "sometimes," but most times!

And sorry, on average it is also a lot faster drawing a weapon from open carry than concealed. Sure, some people can draw faster than others; but I have yet to see one person who can draw a concealed weapon faster than one openly carried.

Lastly, open carry does allow most people to carry larger capacity firearms. It is not easy to conceal carry a 1911 or most full-sized pistols; which is why compact and smaller caliber handguns are more commonly carried. I doubt you'll see a lot of people openly carrying a .380...

Want to know how I know you have not spent a lot of time carrying different handguns?
    I comfortably carry , concealed, a 1911 on most days. I also comfortably carry, concealed , a .454 Casull.

I can go from concealed to shot on target in 1.5 seconds or less on a really good day.
    I am not anti OC, but anti bullshit. When someone makes blanket statements like 300 did, they are tediously easy to pick apart.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Want to know how I know you have not spent a lot of time carrying different handguns?
    I comfortably carry , concealed, a 1911 on most days. I also comfortably carry, concealed , a .454 Casull.

I can go from concealed to shot on target in 1.5 seconds or less on a really good day.
    I am not anti OC, but anti bullshit. When someone makes blanket statements like 300 did, they are tediously easy to pick apart.

You didn't actually pick apart his statements.

You say you comfortably carried a .454 Casull. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have been more comfortable if carried openly, and probably would have. Unless maybe you fall outside the norm.

You can go from concealed to shot on target in 1.5 seconds on a really good day. You don't quantify that with a timed shot on target from the same gun carried openly. One step would be removed so given the same amount of practice it would make no sense that it would take longer and given the same practice time, should be faster simply because the act of getting a bond on the forearm requires one less step.

Merry Christmas.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You didn't actually pick apart his statements.

You say you comfortably carried a .454 Casull. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have been more comfortable if carried openly, and probably would have. Unless maybe you fall outside the norm.

You can go from concealed to shot on target in 1.5 seconds on a really good day. You don't quantify that with a timed shot on target from the same gun carried openly. One step would be removed so given the same amount of practice it would make no sense that it would take longer and given the same practice time, should be faster simply because the act of getting a bond on the forearm requires one less step.

Merry Christmas.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Should have been a comma between 1.5 seconds, or less on a really good day. My times on an OC rig fall into about the same category. Comfortable is different for everyone.
    And the post I was picking apart was 300blk's , not MMM's.

Joyous Kwanza to you.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Furthermore, I am willing to bet that it is faster to get a shot on target faster from a concealed gun than it is from an openly carried gun( in a holster) most of the time. There is a scenario where I have gotten a shot off with a concealed handgun consistently in under 1 second. With my best time @ .27 seconds.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Furthermore, I am willing to bet that it is faster to get a shot on target faster from a concealed gun than it is from an openly carried gun( in a holster) most of the time. There is a scenario where I have gotten a shot off with a concealed handgun consistently in under 1 second. With my best time @ .27 seconds.

I don't doubt that, under certain circumstances.

Sent from my HAL 9000

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Does anyone know of a sousaphone player we can hire to follow them as they walk down congress? Seriously, I'll chip in to hire them. We can have the sousaphone player wear a sign that has a QR code that links to this thread.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know of a sousaphone player we can hire to follow them as they walk down congress? Seriously, I'll chip in to hire them. We can have the sousaphone player wear a sign that has a QR code that links to this thread.

It's Austin - there must be one. I'd be in on that!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I must be nuts because I have no problem with this event at all. Sounds like a lot of fun publicly sticking another gun victory to liberals and worrying the local Moms Who Need Action.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I must be nuts because I have no problem with this event at all. Sounds like a lot of fun publicly sticking another gun victory to liberals and worrying the local Moms Who Need Action.

Philosophically speaking, don't really have much issue with a celebration for a hard fought victory. If this were a TSRA event I'd be all for it. However, given the retarded cast of characters orchestrating this event I have some serious concerns. These folks have a history of fucking things up for the rest of us. Neckbeards with AR pistols in a thigh rig aren't the folks I want on the from page of every news outlet across the country representing me.

Comfort is a relative thing so arguing about how X is more comfy than y is plain silly. I'm 5'6 and have been between 180 & 195. I can conceal a G21+x300 in an IWB.

For me OC simply means being able to go away from IWB holsters without worrying about printing too much or possibly running to get the mail/paper without a covering garment. When away from the home open carry is stupid. Even if it didn't paint a bullseye on your back for political or criminal events, the element of surprise should never be willingly relinquished.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    As stated before by others, OC was a slam dunk in the last session but the antics of OCT and OCTC and their supporters caused it to go to the wire. Responsible gun owners are made to look bad by these yoyo brains!

Top Bottom