Venture Surplus ad

FYI: TSRA Legislative Director answers a few questions about TX Permitless Carry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    As have I - but apparently @RoadRunner has inside information - I'm hoping he'll share it....or admit that he's just repeating what some other ill-informed anti-NRA type told him.
    In all honesty, I too have heard that as well, but have never seen anything that proved it was true. And if @AndiTurner says they don't receive any money from the NRA, I'll accept that as proof they don't. And a shout out to her for fighting this fight for our gun rights.
    Capitol Armory ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    In all honesty, I too have heard that as well, but have never seen anything that proved it was true. And if @AndiTurner says they don't receive any money from the NRA, I'll accept that as proof they don't. And a shout out to her for fighting this fight for our gun rights.

I'd heard the same rumors - but anyone that attends the TSRA AGM can see the financials for themselves - ain't a penny there from the NRA.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    All the previous back door and testimonial objections to a unlicensed carry were from big city LE and DPS. Period.
    Blood in the streets and 'I don't want LEO to face off with armed person'.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    All the previous back door and testimonial objections to a unlicensed carry were from big city LE and DPS. Period.
    Blood in the streets and 'I don't want LEO to face off with armed person'.

Yessir.....ignoring the fact that the criminals are going to carry regardless of the law. I like it because the poor folks out there barely squeaking by can FINALLY defend themselves without having to spend the $$ they need to provide for their families.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Why would you think we take money from NRA? The TRUTH is we do not. Not a penny.
    And no, Lord help me, any one who has spent any time in Austin (or Annapolis or any state capitol) knows that a major bill doesn't pass because of one person. Or Two. And frankly, none of us who are up there can do this work without all of you!

Without the emails, phone calls and testimony of all of you, we all stood together and got this done! I've said so in my speeches, magazine articles and emails. So where you are getting your information, I have no idea.

Anyway, we can be done with the mudslinging now and move on to --does anyone need any help or have questions? I genuinely enjoy helping folks out so if y'all need me- you know how to reach out!

Are you saying that the TSRA has not taken grant money from the NRA?

Next thing you know you will be saying that TSRA is not in any way affiliated with the NRA.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Roadrunner, I have no knowledge of what Alice did or didn't do. I'm here now and I will fight like the rabid dog I can be (ask TexasRedneck-I annoy him all the time, lol ;-))

Puppet? Really? Did you just mean to offend me or something else. CLEARLY with the passage of Permitless and 13 other SIGNIFICANT bills last session, I/we are NO ONE's puppet. Frankly, your NRA State Director (read:lobbyist) is a very smart effective woman who would be embarrassed by my speaking about the highly significant pay cut and extra work she's been assigned-all in the name of our rights.

That said, if I don't like a bill-I ain't backing it, full stop. Being from Maryland, and happily a Texan by choice, I've seen most, if not all of the Progressive Wing/Anti-Gun plays. My eyes are wide open and TSRA/TSRAPAC have your backs. Let me know when you find that not to be true while I hold this title. Until then, the past is the past and there isn't thing one I can do about that.

Look forward. March forward. This is my attitude.
    I don't know you except for interacting with you in a few threads here so I have no grounds to talk trash about you for sure. But do keep in mind that the TSRA has left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people so your position is going to leave you saddled with dealing with that legacy through no fault of your own. For a lot of us, it will probably take a good bit of work to convince people that there's been a real change in the TSRA.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I don't know you except for interacting with you in a few threads here so I have no grounds to talk trash about you for sure. But do keep in mind that the TSRA has left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people so your position is going to leave you saddled with dealing with that legacy through no fault of your own. For a lot of us, it will probably take a good bit of work to convince people that there's been a real change in the TSRA.

I think Andi walked into this with her eyes open. As you might remember, one of the reasons I initially got involved with the TSRA was the positions of Charles Cotton and Alice back when OC first was being discussed. I can tell you from personal observation that the position of the TSRA's governing board has done a 180 in that time. To be fair, that change was already underway, but when you're dealing with a 100 year-old organization with long traditions, change can be time consuming - and frustratingly slow. I can tell you that there are now several members of the EC that routinely OC (including myself), and from those I've spoken with, the others may not personally OC, but willingly support those that do.
    A large part of that is steeped in Texas gun tradition in and of itself. Thankfully, those ideas have evolved, and now more than ever, the gun owners of this state see the necessity of expanding ALL gun rights as much as humanly possible. It's an ongoing debate, but as more "expansive minded" Texas gun owners join the ranks, that new path will be even more pronounced. The main thing is, the idea of infighting amongst the various pro-gun groups needs to stop - where we disagree, we need to do so in a polite manner. We can have our heated discussions/debates in private, but the general public needs to see a unified front.

JamesH

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2021
    California
    I think Andi walked into this with her eyes open. As you might remember, one of the reasons I initially got involved with the TSRA was the positions of Charles Cotton and Alice back when OC first was being discussed. I can tell you from personal observation that the position of the TSRA's governing board has done a 180 in that time. To be fair, that change was already underway, but when you're dealing with a 100 year-old organization with long traditions, change can be time consuming - and frustratingly slow. I can tell you that there are now several members of the EC that routinely OC (including myself), and from those I've spoken with, the others may not personally OC, but willingly support those that do.
    A large part of that is steeped in Texas gun tradition in and of itself. Thankfully, those ideas have evolved, and now more than ever, the gun owners of this state see the necessity of expanding ALL gun rights as much as humanly possible. It's an ongoing debate, but as more "expansive minded" Texas gun owners join the ranks, that new path will be even more pronounced. The main thing is, the idea of infighting amongst the various pro-gun groups needs to stop - where we disagree, we need to do so in a polite manner. We can have our heated discussions/debates in private, but the general public needs to see a unified front.
    Division amongst California gun owners is how the 2A got trampled and neutered over the years. To the point that gun owners have to hope the courts get it right (9th circuit, so the majority of cases are decided against the second amendment and for "public safety". Needing to rely on the courts mostly means you've already lost.

Let's not forget that complacency amongst gun owners is just as dangerous. I'm actually surprised there isn't more activity on TGT and I hope that changes sooner than later. There's something different about communications regarding 2A advancements or attempted regulation on forums like this, rather than organization's email blasts that always include "we need your money to fight". Although true/ necessary, , It can be off-putting to some. Especially because email blasts are one-sided communication.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm actually surprised there isn't more activity on TGT and I hope that changes sooner than later. There's something different about communications regarding 2A advancements or attempted regulation on forums like this, rather than organization's email...
    The staff is always on the lookout for suggestions as to how TGT can better serve the community. What sort of "more activity" do you think should be happening here?

That's not a challenge or in any way meant to be negative. I'd sincerely like to know how you thing TGT can be better. Many parts of TGT look the way they do today because members made suggestions in the past. We're definitely open to hearing your suggestions, the more specific the better.

JamesH

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2021
    California
    The staff is always on the lookout for suggestions as to how TGT can better serve the community. What sort of "more activity" do you think should be happening here?

That's not a challenge or in any way meant to be negative. I'd sincerely like to know how you thing TGT can be better. Many parts of TGT look the way they do today because members made suggestions in the past. We're definitely open to hearing your suggestions, the more specific the better.
    I don't view it as an issue with TGT, but rather what I see as a lack of engagement from the gun owning community. I could be that there's just no need for it, I guess.

I am a very new member so I may not be on target here. It was an opinion based on my initial snooping around on TGT.

I base my opinion on the 2A forum in my current state, Calguns.net. Their active member stat looks somewhat similar to TGT but TGT looks as if there is much less member engagement.

Calguns.net: Threads: 1,539,238, Posts: 23,291,925. Active Members: 25,992

TGT: Threads:103,998. Messages: 2,433,569: Members: 32,359

The "currently active users" shows the same, despite my assumption that there are way more gun owning Texans, versus Californians.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I don't view it as an issue with TGT, but rather what I see as a lack of engagement from the gun owning community. I could be that there's just no need for it, I guess.

I am a very new member so I may not be on target here. It was an opinion based on my initial snooping around on TGT.

I base my opinion on the 2A forum in my current state, Calguns.net. Their active member stat looks somewhat similar to TGT but TGT looks as if there is much less member engagement.

The "currently active users" shows the same, despite my assumption that there are way more gun owning Texans, versus Californians.
    A lot of people join forums, and never participate. Some join, make a few posts and are gone for whatever reasons.

Also might I add to what @benenglish said, start threads voicing an opinion or suggestions on discussing those issues you brought up. Some members will participate in a thread, but won't start threads. As all of us are gun owners, we are always looking for ways to defend our gun rights. If you see something that you don't think is being addressed, start a thread. If one already exists, the Mods will merge it. No harm and no foul. Happens quite a bit.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW

You come from a state that has been plagued, been over-saturated with gun control laws through the decades. CA is perhaps the worst state to be a gun owner and it makes sense that a CA gun forum would have "engagement" from a population raped by its politicians. In Texas, where gun control is almost non- existent (compared to most other states), we really don't have an US vs. THEM , David vs. Goliath situation when it comes to the 2A. CA had a run of governors that will sign any and all anti-2A bills put before them, where in TX, they won't get past committee. For some of Abbott's faults, the 2A is not one them. In Texas, federal gun laws are more of a concern right now.

In CA, having the Democrats take away your ARs, your ability to buy semi-auto handguns and ammo, your ability to carry, etc. creates conflict and many angry gun owners who might join a CA gun forum. And I know from your previous forum, it used to be a place to to get ever changing info on bullet buttons, roster changes, ammo laws, court rulings, etc. Different strokes, different folks.

JamesH

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2021
    California
    A lot of people join forums, stigmatic. never participate. Some join, make a few posts and are gone for whatever reasons.

Also might I add to what @benenglish said, start threads voicing an opinion or suggestions on discussing those issues you brought up. Some members will participate in a thread, but won't start threads. As all of us are gun owners, we are always looking for ways to defend our gun rights. If you see something that you don't think is being addressed, start a thread. If one already exists, the Mods will merge it. No harm and no foul. Happens quite a bit.
    I agree and maybe I'm just ignorant. It could be that gun ownership is a normal way of life in Texas, versus the majority in California who view guns and ownership as stigmatic.

Kind of like how overwhelming I imagine it would be for a North Korean to experience the freedoms we have here. A normal day here would be extraordinary to someone who hasn't experienced it before.

JamesH

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2021
    California
    You come from a state that has been plagued, been over-saturated with gun control laws through the decades. CA is perhaps the worst state to be a gun owner and it makes sense that a CA gun forum would have "engagement" from a population raped by its politicians. In Texas, where gun control is almost non- existent (compared to most other states), we really don't have an US vs. THEM , David vs. Goliath situation when it comes to the 2A. CA had a run of governors that will sign any and all anti-2A bills put before them, where in TX, they won't get past committee. For some of Abbott's faults, the 2A is not one them. In Texas, federal gun laws are more of a concern right now.

In CA, having the Democrats take away your ARs, your ability to buy semi-auto handguns and ammo, your ability to carry, etc. creates conflict and many angry gun owners who might join a CA gun forum. And I know from your previous forum, it used to be a place to to get ever changing info on bullet buttons, roster changes, ammo laws, court rulings, etc. Different strokes, different folks.
    That may be it. I can help but be paranoid because of past experiences.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I agree and maybe I'm just ignorant. It could be that gun ownership is a normal way of life in Texas, versus the majority in California who view guns and ownership as stigmatic.

Kind of like how overwhelming I imagine it would be for a North Korean to experience the freedoms we have here. A normal day here would be extraordinary to someone who hasn't experienced it before.
    Not ignorant in the least, just different gun cultures and perspectives from different gun environments. You also have seen a huge shift in how guns are viewed in California, and how gun rights have been eroded in increments over the years. This for us in Texas, and as Texans, is valuable insight we need to look at and take into consideration. What happened in California, could happen in Texas as well, and the time to fight it is before it gets a chance to get a foot-hold. Much easier to stop it from happening in the first place, than fighting it after it's already taken place.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW

I have been pressuring my elected Congress people for decades. Our biggest problem is there is so much corruption and Malfeasance that they do exactly what they want and it isn't to benefit our Republic

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Some of the most heartwarming content on YouTube documents people who have escaped communism (mostly North Korea or Cuba) and are now experiencing the USA.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom