Gasoline at what price?

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by zembonez, Mar 8, 2008.

1. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Gas Prices!

With oil at $106.00 a barrel, it looks like we are going to be looking at $4.00 plus gas by summer's end. Will this affect what kind of car you buy or drive? If not... what price will?

Texas is a big ole state! I drive a lot! This has me thinking about losing the full size GMC and buying something a little more fuel friendly.

At this point, I'm only thinking about it. But WOW gas is high.

You?

2. 300shooter

300shooter Active Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Fargo,ND
    yes, I have already traded off the Yukon and got a Toyota Tacoma. I traded 17mpg for 25mpg so its cheaper on the insurance also

3. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    When I bought my BMW 328 several years ago, I did so for the quality and handling capabilities. Was I surprised to discover that on highway trips at 70 mph with AC on, I typically get 34+ mpg. Go, Bimmer!

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My M3 gets about 25 - 27 on the highway at 70 - 80 MPH with the A/C on. I average about 17 in the city. :o

5. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I know Hobie_Dog recently got rid of his Suburban and bought a Tacoma as well. He really likes it but I am not sure of the fuel economy he gets. My 07 GMC has averaged 17.5 mpg since new (according to the on-board computer). Anything over 25 mpg is now on my radar for a replacement. I'd prefer over 30 - especially if fuel is headed foe $4.50 or more.

6. drj3828

drj3828 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    Heck I got an old 92 GEO metro that gets 42mpg! It's ugly but who cares if it gets 42mpg.
    DRJ

7. HighVelocity

HighVelocity Member

Mar 5, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I drive an F150 and I really love it. I am both sad and disgusted at the gas situation. Thanks to our very own IRS, I must have a vehicle over 6000 lbs GVWR in order to get a break on my taxes. Being self employed, I MUST have that break. :mad:

8. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I believe you are going to come out as a smart man when this dust settles!

Sad isn't it? I wonder if that's why I see all of the city supervisors running around in their F250 4x4 Crewcabs with one person in them? Surely they could drive around and spend my tax money in a Corolla just as well. The car and the gas would save at least half of the money spent... wait... THAT makes too much sense to be realistic. My sincere apologies go out to the forum. :rofl:

9. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I used to have a '85 K5 Blazer that got 6mpg in the city and 8mpg on the highway. (it was sitting on 37's :o ) I sold it about 2 years ago though and got my Ford Ranger which averages about 20mpg so I'm happy. :)

10. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A year or 2 ago my manager mentioned that there was some sort of hidden breaks in the tax laws, basically stuff most people don't know about but that is on the books. I don't remember all the details but, it allowed you to buy a truck and write off the purchase price among other things, though probably because he is self-employed. His friend that owns a mortgage company did the exact same thing.