gaywad pt. II

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DCortez, Nov 20, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    At a diner last month, I had a waitress tell me kids should be free to make their own decisions. This was after I shot down my kids order and ordered for him. I asked her if she had any kids ... no. Was she married ... no.

I didn't ask her the most important question ... are you paying?

Why did I take over the kid's meal? Well, our next stop was several hours off. I did not want the kid eating 3 french fries and going around hungry the rest of the day.

So I'm wondering ... how many people out there give their kids free reign to do and say anything they want at school, home, or in public. Am I the only caveman that thinks my roof, my rules? Is it too much to expect parents to parent?

2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    You impinged on your kids' growth and development. They are going to be scarred for life.

Sorry.

3. SiscoKid

SiscoKid Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    You are totally correct. I have just about disowned my son over this. If my 6 yr. old grandson wants to eat candy or cake instead of his meal, my son will let him. He's a complete wuss.

I have told him and told him that he is his son's FATHER, not his best friend. No six year old knows what is best for him.

4. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    DC there is part of the problem is parents not being parents.
    Kids should have choices not free reign to do what they want and when they make a bad decision, as a good parent you step in and help them understand why it was a bad decision.
    At that moment you may be the bad guy but down the road you become the hero!
    Just my opinion for what its worth!

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

I've disowned friends and family. I have both that will openly talk about sex, make openly racist remarks, and many other adult things in front of children. Not to mention how rotten their kids and spouses are.

I'm not going to tell them how to live, but I will not expose my kids to them or allow them to have any influence.

6. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    At restaurants, we decide what our daughter will eat. Usually, we'll give her a choice of 2 different meals. At home, she usually eats what we eat, unless it's too spicy. In that case, we'll let her pick between a couple of other items.

We are the parents and it is our responsibility to make sure she gets the nutrition her body needs.

In the case of the waitress, I would have felt comfortable giving her my opinion of her unsolicited opinion.

7. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    "I have told him and told him that he is his son's FATHER, not his best friend. No six year old knows what is best for him."

+1 There is nothing wrong with being a buddy to your kids, but parents have a responsibility to protect, nurture and teach what is right and wrong. Until they are older, which varies with kids, they don't have a mature enough reasoning intellect to make the right decisions every time, and that is when parents need to step in and put them on the right track.

When our kids where young, we did pretty much what Kingo said. A couple of choices from a restaurant menu, and what we're eating at home. Paula always tried to serve up things they all could live with.

8. Skip

Skip TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I usually give them a chance to pick, but if I don't approve they get what I order for them.

9. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    DCortez is on the right track...He cares !! I was a picky eater, bratty kid growing up,
    but my Mom made, actually made me eat things that were good for me. I hated milk but her insistance made my teeth strong, If there are positive things to my mental and physical health that deserve recognition, Mom is the heroine !

Attaboy, DCortez !!

10. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    hit the nail on the head, I couldn't have said it better myself, therefore I just quote you... :happy0001: