• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehe. well i took it out int he back yard and blew up a 2 liter bottle of water. only fired the one round, but everything seemed to work.

one question though, after i fired, i felt like some kindof vibration in the hand gaurd after the shot. as if the barrel was vibrating lieka tuning fork. is this normal?
    a sortof internal wobble? or is it a good thing i only fired the one round? O.O

man, i still cant get over how wimpy the .223 round looks.
    Capitol Armory ad

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Still love my M&P15.

I run it wet (leaks like a Harley wet) and have yet to have any failures. That includes burying in the dirt and then unloading 2 mags. I clean mine about every 300+ rounds or earlier if I feel like it.

Right now I have a quadrail on it, but I'm going to swap it out for Magpul's hand guard and foregrip. Basically I'm looking to make it as light as possible.

I have p-mags for it and they all seem to be great. No issues. You can occasionally find surplus GI mags for a lot less, but I think the p-mags and worth the extra money.

I agree with the flat top choice. You won't use the carry handle and you'll eventually want to put either an EOTec or an AIMPoint on, so you might as well go with a flat top.

I'm waiting until after the armorer's class before I really start personalizing my M4. First thing on my list: trigger. I want a good 2 stage trigger. I'm also interested in some different uppers (not that they have anything to do with the class). Mostly I'm interested in different barrel lengths.

Have fun shopping around for stuff.

that is what I did

DSC05027s2.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    hehe. well i took it out int he back yard and blew up a 2 liter bottle of water. only fired the one round, but everything seemed to work.

one question though, after i fired, i felt like some kindof vibration in the hand gaurd after the shot. as if the barrel was vibrating lieka tuning fork. is this normal?
    a sortof internal wobble? or is it a good thing i only fired the one round? O.O

man, i still cant get over how wimpy the .223 round looks.

Could it have been the buffer spring in the stock vibrating? I usually see it referred to as the "sproing". With a cheek weld, you'll hear "ca-CHOING!" every time you fire, except on the last round where the bolt locks back ("ca-chunk"). It's normal.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    oh ok!

yeah im not as gifted as you with onomatopoeia.

that sounds about right!

although i felt it more than heard it, had a nice cheek weld. and it was all in the fore grip.... at least that is
    where i felt it, in my left hand. i will pump a few more rounds through it later, and see if i can get a better description for you guys.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Gas tube shouldn't move. It definitely shouldn't vibrate.

Bring the rifle and a case of ammo to SA and I'll test fire it to isolate the issue.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Yep, I believe it's a Rock River Arms Entry stock. It's a hair over 7" long with a trap door buttplate. I like it so far, but haven't had a chance to run it yet. I can always add a 1" spacer later on for around $25 if I need the added length. I like to shoot my ARs tight to me body with my nose on the charging handle so the Entry stock feels pretty natural.

It's kinda funny how it's a buyers market for ARs but AKs have kind of hung at higher prices.

Thanks for the details. I have a Model 1 sales barrel on my AR pistol and haven't had any issues this far, but I did go into it knowing I wasn't buying a Bushy Barrel or anything like that..

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    not a prong, it is kindof a birdcage job, but without any slots / holes/ vent thingies on the bottom.

seems like it probably is to keep muzzle jump to a minimum and maybe to keep from throwing up dust if prone.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i have a model 1 sales barrel on 2 ar's one was built with most of a model 1 kit the other is just a barrel, havent any problems with either. and both as accurate as i am able to shoot.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    not a prong, it is kindof a birdcage job, but without any slots / holes/ vent thingies on the bottom.

seems like it probably is to keep muzzle jump to a minimum and maybe to keep from throwing up dust if prone.

Sounds like the standard A2 flash hider. Does a pretty good job of reducing flash but I don't think it'll do a lot for muzzle rise. The lack of slots in the bottom is indeed to reduce dust signature when firing prone.

where at?

I'm on the North East side. About three minutes away from Nacogdoches/1604.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    me an my girl might stop by will shoot you a pm next time i'm headed that way. think we have double date on sunday...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    me an my girl might stop by will shoot you a pm next time i'm headed that way. think we have double date on sunday...

Hmm, I'm pretty busy this weekend, and next weekend I'll be in Houston. Any other time, though. :p

... I am going to hit the range Saturday afternoon, though.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Are you crazy? That's like asking what's best all round, blonds, redheads, or brunettes...... On a serious note, a lot of factors play into this decision. Ask yourself this:

Do you want storage?
    Do you want a extremely comfortable cheek weld?
    Do you need balance (weight at rear)?
    What is your budget?

I'm a fan of the Magpul CTR. My buddy has the ACS and the check weld is pretty nice. The UBR is great for the added weight and great cheek weld for folks with a lot of facial hair.

Other great stocks (IMO) are the Vltor offerings. I have not picked one up yet, but I am strangely the EMOD. IMOD is also an attractive option.

IMO Rock What Ya Got and see if you can hit a few shops or get with other AR owners and see if they will let you test fire their ARs with various stocks.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    it is a rock river if its the one i sold you. glad you like it, i wish i could of gotten used to it.

Yes, it's the one I picked up from you. Took some RIT dye to get it the deep black I was looking for, but so far I like it.

To the OP, I'll be headed to Lone Star shooting range in Lockart next Sat or Sun. Let me know if you want to meet up there. I can swap on one of my lowers and we can ring out your upper. If no noise with my lower, then you can isolate the issue to the Buffer.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've got a standard 6 position with an add-on CAA side-saddle. I don't use the storage, but it makes the cheek weld more comfortable.

Top Bottom