• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    storage not a biggie, but would be nice. That is one thing i like about The A2 stock.

i likehaving a longer stock, and the a2 fits me fine, however my lady is miniature and looks hilarous shouldering this or any other full length rifle... i knwo the obvious answer is to get antoehr AR and put a mini stock on it, and keep my A2. hehe that willb emy solution, eventually, but int he meantime, i am going to compromise with a collapsible....

balance is important, and while i liek the idea of a a counterweight to balance things out a bit i would also liek to save a bit of weight whereever i can, especially since i will eventually be making this wepaon heavier with some fancy gadgets.

facial hair varies depending on the date.
    Texas SOT

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Standard 6 position... yeah i am looking for brandnames though, as i have heard rumbles of cheapies that suck. dont wanto to get gyped...

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    magpul ctr fits me perfect and I like the function.. I have a prs but its a prone gun. I have used the UBR but it is too damn expensive and heavy to justify in my opinion. I like the acs alot also. Vltor makes a few good ones I have used and like. The ctr is moderately priced and locks up super tight. Might be over kill but I promise you will like it a ton more than any mil spec stock that jiggles and turns on the stock body.

I just browse ar-15 and wait for cheap deals.. got two fde ctrs one for $48 the other for $60. They have been used but are still clean and look good. Kinda how I shop though.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Take a look at the Magpul ACS. I believe it's heavier than the CTR, but lighter than the Emod or UBR. The ACS has the friction lock and a pretty good check weld. Has battery storage as well as a side compartment.

IMO, and don't be quick to dismiss, you should pick up a lower and build a second one to go with your A2. Palmetto State Armory has their lowers for about $65 shipped right now. Pick up a lower parts kit for around $45-50 and put your A2 or the collapseable setup on it. You know have one rifle that will fit both of you to a tee. It will also keep you open to buying another upper to make two rifles. You can take your time and figure out what you want next for the second one.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I've got a standard 6 position with an add-on CAA side-saddle. I don't use the storage, but it makes the cheek weld more comfortable.

Funny you should mention the saddle. I recently found one used on the cheap. I like the look/weight of the CAR over the M4 stocks. At one point my STAG was a KISS rifle with standard skinny front hanguard and CAR stock with carry handle. I liked it, but was drawn back to the optic and quad rail when I wanted a weapon light.

I saw a modified CAR online and decided to copy it. You have to cut the top sling mount off the back. These stocks can be picked up all day long cheap, so I figured why not. I ground the CAA letter off, but have not sanded it all the way down yet. makes for a comfortable cheek weld on the cheap. It also allows storage for several CR123A batteries that I run in my weapon light.

I drilled a small hole near the lock and ran a piece of Para-cord through that and knotted the battery caps off. Can't lose them now and it does not affect the function of the lock.

Pics of said setup:

STg1-1.jpg

STg2-1.jpg

STg3-1.jpg

STg4.jpg

STg5.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Standard 6 position... yeah i am looking for brandnames though, as i have heard rumbles of cheapies that suck. dont wanto to get gyped...

Well, avoid Tapco, obviously. Otherwise I don't see that there's a lot to screw up on a stock... Oh no, it might not be uber-tight and might *gasp* rattle if you shake it. Oh well. It won't affect function in any way.

So long as the stock fits you and doesn't come out of position or break with rough use, what can go wrong with it?

Funny you should mention the saddle. I recently found one used on the cheap. I like the look/weight of the CAR over the M4 stocks. At one point my STAG was a KISS rifle with standard skinny front hanguard and CAR stock with carry handle. I liked it, but was drawn back to the optic and quad rail when I wanted a weapon light.

I saw a modified CAR online and decided to copy it. You have to cut the top sling mount off the back. These stocks can be picked up all day long cheap, so I figured why not. I ground the CAA letter off, but have not sanded it all the way down yet. makes for a comfortable cheek weld on the cheap. It also allows storage for several CR123A batteries that I run in my weapon light.

I drilled a small hole near the lock and ran a piece of Para-cord through that and knotted the battery caps off. Can't lose them now and it does not affect the function of the lock.

Pics of said setup:

STg1-1.jpg

STg2-1.jpg

STg3-1.jpg

STg4.jpg

STg5.jpg

I might have to try a CAR stock sometime. It seems like it would work better with a plate... I know they can be found cheap, my friend was given one by some random vendor at a gun show. He looked at it, asked how much and the vendor just said "take it".

I don't care if it says CAA on it. Let people mock. I'm a bit out of practice, but still confident I can school most shooters on a carbine course. A nice setup is a nice setup, no matter where the parts come from. And at the end of the day, it's more about the shooter than the rifle.

And it looks like you like your stock adjusted to the same length I do.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    This is part of the gun that is very important.. It makes the main contact point against your body.. Why not spend a few extra dollars and get one of better quality that doesn't need to be mod'ed to work correctly? A rattle will not kill you but if you use your gun a lot you will be glad you barked up an extra $40.00 to get a stock with improved engineering.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thing is, "improved" is going to be subjective here. Like you said, it's going to be your main point of contact. That means it's really going to come down to personal preference more than anything.

I like simple (and that means M4 and CAR) and the reduced footprint of the CAR stock is now calling to me.

I do like the Magpul MOE stock a lot... though the first thing I'd do is take off that curved rubber butt plate. I really prefer a flat butt on my rifles.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Subjective is right I just read some of this advice as to stay away from that type of stuff and I really think people should go shoulder it or "try their buddies". I guess across Tx that is a lot easier said than done I am just spoiled as if I wanna try something I can goto GDS or other places in Austin and try this stocks on an actual rifle.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    now here's the main thing i cant decide should i stick with the all black motiff or should i put some OD accents on there....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    now here's the main thing i cant decide should i stick with the all black motiff or should i put some OD accents on there....

Want the easy way to do that? Stock, pistol grip and handguard. Those are all dark earth on my M4. Throw in some Magpul mags to match and I think you've got what you're looking for.

For YOU........how 'bout pink ta match the lipstick???

<easin' back out the door......>

LOL!!!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    For a small rifle, my preference is a 16" heavy barrel, a short forearm stock and a collapsible butt stock. I have no use for light barrels of any kind and prefer the A2 non removable handle with iron sights. It's simple, light and small.

The rest of my rifles are 20" heavy barrel A2 uppers and butt stocks

That's what I buy. That's what I use.

Flash

Top Bottom