• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmm i like the idea of a heavier barrel, even in 16 inch. how hard is it to slap one of those on? and i get to keep using my cool A2 style front sight right?
    Venture Surplus ad

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I agree about preferirng the heavy barrel. I believe some Marines in Afganistan got killed because of light barrels on their ARs. Talib attacked their FOB and kept the attack going so long the Marine's barrels over heated to the point their weapons wouldnt operate anymore. Not good. While I doubt I'll ever find myself in that position I'd still like to be able to say that I learned.

As for the carry handle - I prefer the flat top design for its versatility. I can put a carry handle on, but more than likely I'm either running flip ups, an EOTech or a scope...Eventually I want to add an ACOG to my kit. a carry handle would just get in the friggin way and make thing complicated.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I agree about preferirng the heavy barrel. I believe some Marines in Afganistan got killed because of light barrels on their ARs. Talib attacked their FOB and kept the attack going so long the Marine's barrels over heated to the point their weapons wouldnt operate anymore. Not good. While I doubt I'll ever find myself in that position I'd still like to be able to say that I learned.

As for the carry handle - I prefer the flat top design for its versatility. I can put a carry handle on, but more than likely I'm either running flip ups, an EOTech or a scope...Eventually I want to add an ACOG to my kit. a carry handle would just get in the friggin way and make thing complicated.

i read about that incident, werent the car-15s basically being used as LMGs becasue they didnt have any .30s ? they were running cyclic for hours basically IIRC. if somone wants to post some more info on this i wont whine about hijacking ymt hread i promise.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This might be old info, but last I knew the Marines used the M16A2. That's the 20in heavy barrel version.

They've been using the A4 for a while now. Only differences I know of between that and the A2 is a flat top receiver and rails on the handguard.

Swede

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ft. Worth
    On Model 1 sales - I've heard everywhere that "Model 1 sales sux." In this thread, there is one against, two guys with fine experiences, and I'll add a third. I'm not sure if this is enough to convince anybody, but M1S may have improved - I don't know. If my AR was going to see combat, I'd use something different, perhaps, but 98% of AR's out there are range toys.

I bought a 10.5" M1S upper, 1/9" twist. It came with an M-16 bolt group, and the chamber is marked 5.56 Chrome, so it has the good attributes, and it runs perfectly.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    get an LMT or BCM,buy once cry once. talk to texas high caliber he'll do you right. forget about RRA or bushwackers,you can do a lot better for the money

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Still love my M&P15.

I run it wet (leaks like a Harley wet) and have yet to have any failures. That includes burying in the dirt and then unloading 2 mags. I clean mine about every 300+ rounds or earlier if I feel like it.

Right now I have a quadrail on it, but I'm going to swap it out for Magpul's hand guard and foregrip. Basically I'm looking to make it as light as possible.

I have p-mags for it and they all seem to be great. No issues. You can occasionally find surplus GI mags for a lot less, but I think the p-mags and worth the extra money.

I agree with the flat top choice. You won't use the carry handle and you'll eventually want to put either an EOTec or an AIMPoint on, so you might as well go with a flat top.

I'm waiting until after the armorer's class before I really start personalizing my M4. First thing on my list: trigger. I want a good 2 stage trigger. I'm also interested in some different uppers (not that they have anything to do with the class). Mostly I'm interested in different barrel lengths.

Have fun shopping around for stuff.

Do you have a mid length or a carbine? what quad rail is it?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    On Model 1 sales - I've heard everywhere that "Model 1 sales sux." In this thread, there is one against, two guys with fine experiences, and I'll add a third. I'm not sure if this is enough to convince anybody, but M1S may have improved - I don't know. If my AR was going to see combat, I'd use something different, perhaps, but 98% of AR's out there are range toys.

I bought a 10.5" M1S upper, 1/9" twist. It came with an M-16 bolt group, and the chamber is marked 5.56 Chrome, so it has the good attributes, and it runs perfectly.

Yes and no.

You could probably find a lower for under $140 and get an upper on sale at midwayUSA for less than 350 if you use a coupon. A complete AR for less than $500. Another $60 on a cheap sight, sling, and magazines. It would probably be fun shooter. It might shoot reliably, it might not. The average shooter probably would be very happy with it. Heck, if you put a few hundred malfunction free rounds through it, it would probably work well as a bedside defense gun.

A few hundred more dollars gives you a lot of quality. I've owned a DPMS upper. It worked very well. Put over 300 rounds through it without a hitch. My BCM upper is a much nicer gun. Without even going into the "chart" you can tell it is a nicer gun. Better machining, engraving looks better. The likely hood that this gun will ever be needed as a "go to war" gun is essentially zero. Competition is a distinct possibility (If I ever find the time and money). Other than that, its a plinker, range, and hunter (white tail beware:ohnoes:) with a back up HD gun.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    My advice would be to buy one with an A4 upper. Mine is an A2, I wanted it specifically because I wouldnt need to go buy an expensive optic for it. Well what do you think I did eventuallty? I bought a $500 trijicon reflex and mounted it to the carry handle, that sucked because it was too high and I sold it. Im back to the iron sights and they work fine, but I always wished I would have been able to run an EOtech and an actual scope on throw lever moujnts for different needs.

THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE!

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yeah i went with a colt lower, and a a4 upper, flatop w/ flip up sights to compliment the red dot i eventually go with...

so while we are raising this thread form the dead, what red dot sights are best for use with ar w/ flip up sights?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    yeah i went with a colt lower, and a a4 upper, flatop w/ flip up sights to compliment the red dot i eventually go with...

so while we are raising this thread form the dead, what red dot sights are best for use with ar w/ flip up sights?

Aimpoint PRO is the one I'm drooling over lately. For about $400 you can get it complete, and the mount comes with a removable riser so you can set the cowitness to your preference - 1/2 or 1/3. IMO it's the way to go unless you want something really light.

I'm very much an Aimpoint fan over EOTech. Battery life is a thousand times better and the sights are just more sturdy.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Aimpoint PRO is the one I'm drooling over lately. For about $400 you can get it complete, and the mount comes with a removable riser so you can set the cowitness to your preference - 1/2 or 1/3. IMO it's the way to go unless you want something really light.

I'm very much an Aimpoint fan over EOTech. Battery life is a thousand times better and the sights are just more sturdy.

good info!

nothing with any sort of quality or ruggedness in the $50-200 range? though i'm probably better off with the creme de la creme jsut throwing it out there

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    good info!

nothing with any sort of quality or ruggedness in the $50-200 range? though i'm probably better off with the creme de la creme jsut throwing it out there

You're not going to find anything quality at the $50 end of the scale. At the $200 end? Maybe, but you might have to try three or four different sights to find it...

Buy quality stuff, you only have to buy it once.

Top Bottom