• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'm not sure I see this as a generation thing as much as the result of a good economy. The labor market is tight and it's hard to find good employees. That means the next employer isn't going to do as much research before hiring a qualified worker.

If Bernie wins the election and the economy heads south, and the unemployment lines grow again, those phone calls to previous employers will become much more important again as companies try and weed through way too many qualified applicants for one or two positions.

This is just a new term for an old thing so the new generation gets the name attached to them.
    Venture Surplus ad

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    WOW! I come from a different era I guess. I didn't always like my job, but I tried to use them as a reference if I decided to apply elsewhere. Hopefully I'm working at my last job, if that's how businesses and employees are treating each other, I wouldn't want to test the waters.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    Some companies nowadays do not respect a new hire wanting to give proper notice. I have heard of companies wanting someone to start the following week or immediately not concerned about the hiree needing to give adequate notice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Texas is a right to work state so as I joke with my boss, he could fire me for being ugly. Yes, no company is loyal to employees since the 70s.

I was a supervisor for a bit. There was a couple times I wanted to fire someone. They were even in the probationary period. The first few months of employment where you can be let go for almost anything. HR said no. I brought up the right to work state. HR told me there was enough precedent that they could still make a fuss and we could not just fire them.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    1. Not a new trend re: ghosting; it’s happened as long as I’ve been in the workforce, going back to the late ‘80s. I’m sure it’s been longer than that.

2. Voluntary terminations: see #1. Unless an employee is protected by law or contract (such as a union), how that works out is employer specific.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    I was a supervisor for a bit. There was a couple times I wanted to fire someone. They were even in the probationary period. The first few months of employment where you can be let go for almost anything. HR said no. I brought up the right to work state. HR told me there was enough precedent that they could still make a fuss and we could not just fire them.
    Have been there too. So worried about a lawsuit or someone filing for unemployment. That is what the written warnings and documentation are for. Better sometimes, in my opinion, to risk having to pay unemployment for a short period of time than to have a worthless employee. Maybe companies unemployment insurance goes up if they have too many claims.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Have been there too. So worried about a lawsuit or someone filing for unemployment. That is what the written warnings and documentation are for. Better sometimes, in my opinion, to risk having to pay unemployment for a short period of time than to have a worthless employee. Maybe companies unemployment insurance goes up if they have too many claims.

As an HR guy, the challenge is lack of documentation. The reason documentation is important is because it’s usually a regulatory requirement to have documentation. You can thank Congress for that.

Documentation, or lack thereof, is discoverable in a lawsuit, but if the EEOC has given notice of a suit, there’s already prima facie evidence that wrongdoing has occurred.

Most HR people are too lazy to be businessmen, and most on the businessmen don’t care about HR, because it’s cost of doing business anyway...just keep it as low as possible, which results in a risk-averse HR program.

Few HR people can make the business case that it’s worth the investment to have a good HR department.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    I understand the documentation. I feel like there have been times I had plenty of documentation and was still told not to move forward with termination.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My method of termination was to make a person miserable enough that they quit. And it can be done all legally as well.

One of two things happens. They either get fed up and quit, or they find out that they really need the job, and straighten their act up.

I call it a win either way it went.

Another method I used was random drug testing. If I had a problem employee, I would send him and five or six other guys out for a drug test. That method worked like a charm. Working in an industry that was safety sensitive, all employees, including myself were always subject to random drug tests.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Firing an employee after they give notice is fairly common with the companies I deal with. Most of the employees work remotely with only phone supervision so there is a lot of stuff they can screw up or not complete and it just isn't worth the gamble.

The employees generally know this so they will give notice and leave. Or just ghost if they are that type of person.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Try firing someone from a state agency.

Its usually easier to run people off than fire them.
    We have that problem here. I've seen a few people be fired (after plenty of documentation), but the majority of them see the writing on the wall, are told what's coming, and are then given the talk about "it will look better for you to leave on your own rather than be fired". I've always felt that's more to save the company when it comes to unemployment, but then again I've never had to fire any of my guys or convince them to leave. This is just based on what I've seen going on around me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ever bring your parent(s) to a job interview?
    Or have your parents call to negotiate a a salary?
    Me either...but I got to deal with that.
    I used to work with a field officer who, as a young man, was a loss prevention officer at Astroworld. They had one inviolable hiring policy.
    • If your parents walked you in, you were not hired. Period.
    So, how do you deal with this situation? If someone brings their parents to a job interview, do they have any chance of being hired?

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    We have that problem here. I've seen a few people be fired (after plenty of documentation), but the majority of them see the writing on the wall, are told what's coming, and are then given the talk about "it will look better for you to leave on your own rather than be fired". I've always felt that's more to save the company when it comes to unemployment, but then again I've never had to fire any of my guys or convince them to leave. This is just based on what I've seen going on around me.
    Kida depends. My motivation for telling someone to quit was it looked better on the resume. In Commiefornia oen can still get unemployment even if you quit.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Another method I used was random drug testing. If I had a problem employee, I would send him and five or six other guys out for a drug test.
    If you assign someone to go on a random drug test, that's not random. Using fake random drug tests as a weapon against an employee you don't like is so stupid I can't wrap my head around it. The amount of liability you create for your employer is huge.

You're speaking in the past tense so I sincerely hope you no longer manage anyone.

Top Bottom