• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Now that I’m self-employed and use subs, I’ve fired more than a few idiots without fear of repurcussions and it’s refreshing.

Here’s a recent exchange I had:
    Juan:
    Mr Larry (another sub who does decent work for me) talks mean I’m not comfortable with him here.

Me:
    What did he say to you?

Juan:
    He said he’s not here to babysit me.

Me:
    Cool here’s $75 get the **** off my job site.

Juan:
    My English is bad I still want to work

Me:
    Then sack up and get back to work, I’m not here to babysit you, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If you assign someone to go on a random drug test, that's not random. Using fake random drug tests as a weapon against an employee you don't like is so stupid I can't wrap my head around it. The amount of liability you create for your employer is huge.

You're speaking in the past tense so I sincerely hope you no longer manage anyone.

Actually, it was completely legal, and also done under the supervision and support of the HR managers. It was just another part of the documentation for firing them.

And you are correct, it was past tense, as in probably close to twenty years ago, and today it might not bear scrutiny like it did years ago.

At the time, I followed company guidelines and rules as to how I hired and fired employees. Now whether you like or dislike my termination methods is irrelevant, because the industry was zero tolerance on drugs and alcohol in the workplace because of safety issues for the other employees, and the public.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Saw that you're flipping houses. Is that your main gig you're doing for yourself?

Yup
    Also retaining houses as rentals.
    And some wholesale contract flipping.

Honestly there are a bazillion ways to make money in real estate. I’m trying to put as many tools in my tool belt as possible.

Huge thanks to deemus for connecting me with my mentor

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have seen it in the oilfield and in other industries.
    Employee gives a two week notice and are often fired at the end of that day.
    I have also seen ( personal experience) employers bending over backwards to keep an employee that gives notice, but I have seen the former far more often than the latter.

In the professional world, that is not that uncommon. But its generally followed up with pay for those two weeks.

It prevents trade secrets being disclosed, client lists being stolen, etc.

I do agree that employees could and should be treated better. Except if you work for me. Mine are brats.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Yup
    Also retaining houses as rentals.
    And some wholesale contract flipping.

Honestly there are a bazillion ways to make money in real estate. I’m trying to put as many tools in my tool belt as possible.

Huge thanks to deemus for connecting me with my mentor

That's awesome. I'd love to get a side gig going I can develop into my own business. The what is a helluva lot less certain but I'm thinking some sort of consultancy in software. The market is full of them with some major players so I'm building the relationships and technical fluency to go the personalized boutique route.

Please keep sharing!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yep random drug tests are only random if a computer program spits out random people or a lottery system. These arent random if not dont at a specific interval in perpetuity.

Depending on laws and company policy you can send people for drug testing based on behavior or accidents.

My libertarian bone screams there shouldn't be testing but reality is people on drugs get others killed or costs employers lots of money. The happy middle ground is in there somewhere.

Some years ago, I was severely injured by a fellow employee that was a dopehead. He ran over me with a forklift, that broke my left leg in two places, broke my hip, and punctured my left lung. I now have a permanent limp, and sometimes difficulty with breathing.

Point is, the owners of the company knew about him and his drug use. And because he only used drugs on his off-time, "recreationally" they sort of overlooked his drug use.

The company had no choice in paying my medical bills, rehabilitation, and my salary while I was off recuperating. My lawyers filed a lawsuit against the company also for my injuries, and the employee for negligence. (Which was settled out of court to my satisfaction)

I use to be very cavalier in my regards to what people did off the clock before I was injured. Afterwards, my viewpoint and opinions changed drastically. If you are ever injured on the job by someone who uses drugs or hungover from alcohol, I suspect your viewpoint will change as well.

I understand the need for drug testing, and if this company had done proper drug testing, when the owners of the company were informed about this employee, maybe my injuries could have been prevented.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That's awesome. I'd love to get a side gig going I can develop into my own business. The what is a helluva lot less certain but I'm thinking some sort of consultancy in software. The market is full of them with some major players so I'm building the relationships and technical fluency to go the personalized boutique route.

Please keep sharing!

A few things:
    I should have done this from day 1.
    I can’t imagine working for someone else anymore.

I tried to do it as a side gig, but without full attention things didn’t progress as I needed them to.

It’s work.
    A lot of work.
    Lots of folks ask me about house flipping, and they almost universally say “I want to get into it, but that sounds like a lot of work!”
    My reply is “I bet your job is a lot of work, but that doesn’t stop you from showing up everyday”.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Learn from others.
    Surround yourself with folks doing what you want to do.

Our net worth is in our network.
    We are the sum total of the people we surround ourselves with.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I can’t imagine working for someone else anymore.

My parents did. They ran their own small business and it nearly broke them. That scared me for years from thinking about doing it for myself. The wisdom of time has helped me understand why they struggled so much. It's not time yet but I see it on the horizon. It must run in my blood.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    As much as I hate to say it, well 2 things really, he has a point.
    The second, Sam Walton, yeah I know, did it right. When he started he put two things first, his customers and his employees. His basic Tennant was, if you come to a decision the disrespects any party involved, it is unacceptable. The right thing to do is the right thing to do. Period. Even if it hurts you or makes you look bad at the time. We all make mistakes, move on.

Employees got profit sharing, bonuses, vacation, holiday pay, Christmas bonus, sick days, personal days, stock purchase and matching dollars, minimum raises per year and merit raises. If you went above expectations, you could get a good job pin. 4 of them got you a share of stock. All full time got them a part time still got most of them. And about the only time they hired part time was high school kids or those that wanted only part time. Most of that is gone now and 95% of new hires are part time so they don't have to pay benefits. Thanks in part to stuff Walmart themselves helped get put into Obamacare.
    And they wonder why people have no loyalty to them like they used to.
    SMDH.
    I guess I'm old school, as much as I wanted to be a rebel growing up. As they used to say, I ride for the Brand. If I let the Brand fail, I'm out of a job. When you can't, it's time to leave. Period.
    So I did.
    Too many people these days believe that they come first. I've even seen them choose better for them personally over what is best for the family or kids. And it carries over to the work place. Me first and foremost.
    What we are seeing, if you think about it, is exactly what the liberal Democrats are preaching and running on. The world owes everyone a living and a happy life without work, struggle or discontent.
    What they don't think about is, if everyone lives like that, who the hell is providing it??????

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Can you check with your old bosses and see if I get one of those pins for checking myself out every time I go there?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, you say that...
    I followed company guidelines and rules as to how I hired and fired employees.
    ...and also say that...
    My method of termination was to make a person miserable enough that they quit.
    ...which means your company guidelines included, for certain purposes, making employees so miserable that they felt an inescapable need to get the hell out.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how to create a situation where an employee comes back to work one last time to expend as much ammunition as possible before he's permanently terminated by outside contractors who generally dress in blue and tend to bring along a bunch of their friends.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    OK, you say that...
    ...and also say that......which means your company guidelines included, for certain purposes, making employees so miserable that they felt an inescapable need to get the hell out.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how to create a situation where an employee comes back to work one last time to expend as much ammunition as possible before he's permanently terminated by outside contractors who generally dress in blue and tend to bring along a bunch of their friends.

Gee, you're quite humorous! You probably should have thought about a career in stand up comedy. You seem to have wasted your talents elsewhere.

Funny, my entire career, that never happened once, or anything remotely similar. Unless you count the one supervisor I fired for stealing company property, that threatened to burn down my house, with myself and my family in it. He got a ten year vacation in a state ran hotel!

And by miserable. If making a person actually do their job, and standing behind them constantly checking out their job performance. Then yes, I did my job as I was hired to do as a supervisor and shop manager.

I'm sorry if my doing my job in firing people when I had to, upsets your delicate sensibilities. But I followed company guidelines in doing my job. With the burr under your saddle towards me, I can only speculate that someone like myself must have fired you from a job in the past. Hmmm.....

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I had fun reading this thread. Most of you are in a great environment. Things can always be worse.

I supervise inner city union self entitled losers. The contract we operate under is union rules. Even if an employee doesn’t join, we must all fallow those rules. Difference is if someone doesn’t join and they get fired, they will have no privileges. Those who join get nice perks. Think of a union steward as an on site attorney. If you’re write ups and request for termination have any discrepancies: you lost. Guy isn’t gonna be fired. What makes it hopeless at times is how corrupt unions are. We have laws that already take care of the treatment of workers. All unions are today is a way to escape responsibility. Combined with members being lazy self entitled losers I’m amazed that we scrape by.

So one thing that pisses me off is our tolerance of a no call no show. It takes three to get fired. Yes you read that correctly. Three. It’s insanely frustrating explaining to these young aoc supporters how it’s respectful to give the employer a heads up. Use the call in line. You can see the lights somewhat go on upstairs when I say: “imagine you’re the one running a business and need to complete a job. Imagine you don’t know where a worker is. Now your homies get stuck at work late because they have to do more”.
    Now I say homies in a humorous way. This generation can’t be trusted. They act cool with each other but have no problem screwing each other over for a day off. In my opinion a man should give his employer and peers at least one to two weeks notice of planned days off. Don’t feel like getting out of bed? Boohoo I feel like that every morning. Get up and go to work. In a year I have only missed half a day. It’s not hard. Attendance and attitude are 90 percent of what I need from people.

What’s also horrible is our society is finding this bad behavior normal. That somehow a business is automatically “evil corporate America”. Sure I have to deal with my share of dishonest managers but the consumers need you to work. Want to sit at home all day with your ubi? Have fun going to the store only to find nothing is in stock because you’re lazy.

I wish we could afford to get out of this union agreement, use at will policies, and I would welcome these guys ghosting me after day one. Separate the boys from the men!

Edited for better choice of words lol

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You probably should have thought about a career in stand up comedy.
    BTDT. I wasn't very good, so I fired myself.
    I can only speculate that someone like myself must have fired you from a job in the past.
    No. That's never happened.

I cannot respond any further and remain honest with my words. To do so would substantially break the rules of this forum and I'm supposed to set a better example.

I apologize for letting my training and experience inform my posts replying to you. I'm retired so I have the option to eschew dealing with situations like these, even on a theoretical basis. I choose to exercise that option now.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    BTDT. I wasn't very good, so I fired myself.
    No. That's never happened.

I cannot respond any further and remain honest with my words. To do so would substantially break the rules of this forum and I'm supposed to set a better example.

I apologize for letting my training and experience inform my posts replying to you. I'm retired so I have the option to eschew dealing with situations like these, even on a theoretical basis. I choose to exercise that option now.
    Want me to take this one for you? I'm not required to set a good example, and have never had a "forced break" from the fun and games around here.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I was let go from HP as part of a wide Layoff. The employees in Cali who were let go were paid their vacation. The employees in Texas were not. we all got severance pay though. So depending on the State depends if they have to pay you your vacation or not.

Top Bottom