• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Buying in small sizes is a great idea for SHTF. Look at places that use gold a lot for currency and trading like the middle east. Those folks use a lot of 1,5, 10 gram weights to do their barter with. Heck, we are even getting gold vending machines here in the states now.

Cashing In on the New Gold Rush: The Gold Investing Economy - Bloomberg

Gold-to-Go.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My mom always said that in a true shtf situation, .22LR cartridges, 12 gauge shells, and inexpensive but serviceable 12ga shotguns would be more valuable than gold. Right or wrong, she laid up a bunch of those things whenever she had a few extra bucks. Now that she's gone, she left me with a ton (well, a few hundred pounds) of useful trade goods. Lord knows, I hope I never have to learn, definitively, if she was correct.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    My mom always said that in a true shtf situation, .22LR cartridges, 12 gauge shells, and inexpensive but serviceable 12ga shotguns would be more valuable than gold. Right or wrong, she laid up a bunch of those things whenever she had a few extra bucks. Now that she's gone, she left me with a ton (well, a few hundred pounds) of useful trade goods. Lord knows, I hope I never have to learn, definitively, if she was correct.

Fro the bits you've shared with us about your mom, I would have loved to meet her. She sounds like a wise woman.

Gold wont be didditly when the nukes fall. Just guns and bottle caps as currency will matter.

Do beer bottle caps count? Because I have a jar of those.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    My stance is, get enough silver and gold to carry just in case you have to get on the move and someone wants that instead of cigarett's and other stuff. You may not want to trade ammo if you have to move. Ten years ago, I would have bought a lot of gold if I would have known that it would rise so high. As for now, I just buy 1/10 ounce of gold up to an ounce, and 1, 1/4, 1/2 and 1/10 ounce silver. Only as much as I can carry.

Sigmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Arlington Tx
    If the shtf gold will be worth a lot more than 2k per ounce, more like double. One indicator to bug out or whatever is watch inflation.Don't wait for a Cyprus here before you act.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can't eat or drink gold, it would be thought to build a shelter with and would give away my position, it's to malleable to make a descent hammer or weapon, an heavy as hell to carry around. I guess it could be used to make bullets but there are better and cheaper options.

I see absolutely no use for gold in an eotw situation. It will mean nothing to someone who is freezing or starving so the barter value will be pretty damn low.

Get guns/ammo. Use them to hunt and trade the meat. NEVER trade your guns/ammo.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Having a variety of commodity items is better than putting all of your faith in any one item. That being said, gold does not take very much room to carry a lot of value on the move. They used to divide coins that were too valuable on the spot. I doubt anyone with a scale would have problem accepting a portion of a gold coin cut off of a genuine article. Silver would be good in a stable environment, but it would be a bitch to carry enough to make a difference.
    You might also look to gold sovereigns, since that is what is recognized the world over as a standard value coin (about $400.00). It was issued to spies, special forces, and people that needed emergency barter capital. You will see them in a few Bond movies.

Last edited:

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    In all the below scenario's both come handy. What would you rather buy in the current times ? Most of us have heavily invested in guns on one part or another do you think you would have been better off buying gold for the same amount.

Emergencies
    Economic collapse
    Financial safety
    Tyranny

Cant think of more

Nope. I have most of the guns I need for every purpose. I have prenty of lead and have been stacking silver for some time. You can't eat or defend yourself with precious metals so first things were first. Luxery items follow. Silver and Gold as a safe hedge is a luxery.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    "stuff" in order of importance:
    1) water
    2) food
    3) first aid
    4) knife/axe/a few basic tools
    5) shelter