• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Guns.

In a SHTF scenario, gold will be worth a lot, but not nearly as much as a crate of dry, usable ammo will be. You can't hunt with gold, you can't fend off an armed attacker with it, and you can't eat it. You could probably trade it away, but it'll only really be worth something (perhaps doubly so) in a short-term loss-of-order type situation, and to someone who either has a large surplus of survival equipment stockpiled, or know something you don't. Plus, you'd have to keep it hidden/safe from theft, which (unlike a gun) is harder to manage because it's dead, useless weight to store and carry.

In a complete collapse of civilization as we know it... I'm pretty sure the only "gold" people are going to want to trade for are A.) Ammunition, B.) Fine luxuries like liquor, C.) Gasoline and/or Power Generators, and D.) Renewable food sources/services requiring specialized knowledge & skills/building and carpentry tools and supplies. I'm not saying gold won't eventually regain and perhaps double its value over time, but from a practical standpoint to the average Joe, I'd settle for a couple thousand rounds ammo, a stack of MRE's, and some bottled water over the opportunity to buy 1 oz. gold bullion.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    I just sold some ammo to a very good trusted friend, and I will never sell another round of ammo to anyone. I feel dirty, and that I've cheated on my guns. I keep going into my closet and looking at the empty space the ammo used to occupy. I think I need a moment.:(

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I just sold some ammo to a very good trusted friend, and I will never sell another round of ammo to anyone. I feel dirty, and that I've cheated on my guns. I keep going into my closet and looking at the empty space the ammo used to occupy. I think I need a moment.:(
    stinkin tratior!!!

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

I've rethought this. If he's not close enough of a friend to just give him the ammo. Then shame on you...

Last edited:

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    I've rethought this. If he's not close enough of a friend to just give him the ammo. Then shame on you...

Sorry, good friend or not, I don't give away 500 rounds of 5.56

edit

he did get it for a good price, pre-Obama price

Last edited:

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Talk about generosity, think how I feel now after giving away a Daniel Defense M4V5 to a friend. Yeah it was a gift

Top Bottom