• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    When I was looking at Palmer lots, 10 acres with over half in a flood zone and the owners wanted 140k.

I hate the cookie cutter 10 plots. People are still next to each other. I will sell if the guy north of me builds. He would be right next to my house. Right now each neighbors home is about 300 yards away. Just enough to not make me go crazy.
    I'm pretty lucky in that regard. Thick woods behind the house that gets flooded if it rains a lot. nothing on either side. My brother and his wife are thinking about building across the road from us in the old orchard. since both his daughters have gone off to college. But that is a year or two down the road, and at least it's my brother and not a stranger.
    Venture Surplus ad

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I'm pretty lucky in that regard. Thick woods behind the house that gets flooded if it rains a lot. nothing on either side. My brother and his wife are thinking about building across the road from us in the old orchard. since both his daughters have gone off to college. But that is a year or two down the road, and at least it's my brother and not a stranger.
    Hopefully he just sits on it or uses it for cows. It’s a lot of traffic for a private road and the water system is all fubar. I need to just make some extra money and pay him. Be done with it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Honestly, I think for the most part, small-town America that many of us knew and remember is gone. Civilization is crowding us out. I really hate people. There are just too many of them, and they want to move in and change our way of life and how things use to be. They want to move to rural areas and small towns, then want all the conveniences of the big cities, and turn small-town America into the very crappy shit they left into. I like it when I can sit outside on the front porch and not see but a couple of cars pass by the house all day long. I like sitting outside on a moonlit night listening to the bugs and animals calling and not hearing people or man-made sounds. Even in my rural part of Texas, that is disappearing.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Honestly, I think for the most part, small-town America that many of us knew and remember is gone. Civilization is crowding us out. I really hate people. There are just too many of them, and they want to move in and change our way of life and how things use to be. They want to move to rural areas and small towns, then want all the conveniences of the big cities, and turn small-town America into the very crappy shit they left into. I like it when I can sit outside on the front porch and not see but a couple of cars pass by the house all day long. I like sitting outside on a moonlit night listening to the bugs and animals calling and not hearing people or man-made sounds. Even in my rural part of Texas, that is disappearing.
    Without question. It’s quiet where I am but wasn’t always the case. One neighbor liked to party all the time and get drunk with guns. I think he’s finally settling down with a family. It took me being a Karen for him to start being a better person. I told him if he doesn’t stop he’s going to hurt someone or himself and I’ll take him for everything he owns.

Another neighbor has a son who’s a loser. I told him one night after getting tired of faggot music (rap) I told him to get a job. I’m proud of him actually. Week after that he got a truck and seems to be working and understands hey gotta get up for work. I’ll actually buy his ass a beer if I get a chance. His whole family is a pos family though.

You met me. I like to be nice to people but Americans just suck right now. Culture I grew up in is dead. People piss me off.

im a bit more angry in this post because I was reading the new tax bracket for 1099 thanks to the communist rescue plan.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Without question. It’s quiet where I am but wasn’t always the case. One neighbor liked to party all the time and get drunk with guns. I think he’s finally settling down with a family. It took me being a Karen for him to start being a better person. I told him if he doesn’t stop he’s going to hurt someone or himself and I’ll take him for everything he owns.

Another neighbor has a son who’s a loser. I told him one night after getting tired of faggot music (rap) I told him to get a job. I’m proud of him actually. Week after that he got a truck and seems to be working and understands hey gotta get up for work. I’ll actually buy his ass a beer if I get a chance. His whole family is a pos family though.

You met me. I like to be nice to people but Americans just suck right now. Culture I grew up in is dead. People piss me off.

im a bit more angry in this post because I was reading the new tax bracket for 1099 thanks to the communist rescue plan.
    You and I are for sure on the same page! It's gotten to the point that I can identify and relate to people much older than myself than most that are my age and younger. Reading this thread, makes me even sadder that those days are gone and that the lifestyle and ways of small-town America are gone, and more than likely never to return.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I live about 20 miles outside of Abilene and just found out there are three developments ready to start around here. One 70 home development a little over a mile away, another on the main route to Abilene about four miles out, and another thirty across town. My neighbors are selling their place and said places around this area last about 30 minutes to an hour on the market. They found the perfect place but, by the time the realtor called back, there were TWO contracts on it - the main and backup. The realtor told them some places are going within 30 minutes of hitting the market here.

Someone mentioned available places in far west Texas but be careful, even 10 years ago, there were some skilled scammers working out there.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Give me water and I’ll take care of the everything else. I lived with just hose water before. I’d live like that again if I wasn’t near people.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    There are two 10 acre lots a mile down the road from me, consisting of nothing but scrub woods, that are for sale for $290,000 apiece.
    That’s $29,000/acre!
    That lasts about a week in Denton County.
    Utilities on the road. Pay for everything from there in.
    They sell like hotcakes.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

One of the draws for us to Magnolia, aside from family in the area, was the small town feel. With all the damn development going on, it's quickly becoming the sprawling mess of a suburb that we left in lefty-land. Just heard about this new 800-home development slated to go in across 1488 from our neighborhood.

I foresee more flooding, more traffic, more crime, and higher property tax bills. I also foresee the quiet little town loosing its quiet little town charm, and turning into just another Houston suburb.

We have friends that have a plan to pull the pin and move to central Texas in a couple years to a tiny town - and honestly, at this point, we may do the same depending on our situation at that point. I grew up in the country, and get kinda claustrophobic in town. Town is growing to encompass us - at this point I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or three Magnolia pushes the city limit out and starts annexing our area. They did for the area HEB is building a new store at 1488 and 149, across from Magnolia High.

We love the area right now but the writing is on the wall. If the housing market doesnt' completely crash like 08 (I think it honestly will) and we can get what we have into this place, or better - I honestly see us selling and relocating again, to the chagrin of my wife. If we don't crash and this market keeps going up and up, hell, maybe we'll double the value. That just means to get a comparable place, we'll be paying a lot more too.

Frickin Zillow / Realtor.com estimate our place has gained $60k in value since we moved here. That's nuts. But if someone wants to get stupid and offer me half a mil, they can have everything on the property but my guns, the clothes on our backs, and the car to get us the hell out right now.

We left the big city for the edge of a small town some 4 years ago.

As we age, things get more difficult and one needs more & more medical services, requiring numerous "trips to town".

Even though I don't mow myself, the upkeep on a 3.5ac lawn with 60 large trees is demanding.

"Home calls" for routine services like appliance repairs, A/C & GENERAC maintenance, safe/lock work, even the filter changes I can't do myself, are $200 Plus the services costs.

I'll turn 79 really soon. Condos on the outlying edges of Metro Houston are beginning to look better. We have Family all around there. . . . .

"The grass is always greener. . . . . . . " Over the septic tank !

leVieux

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Condos ... are beginning to look better.
    I feel the same.

The condo I want (i.e., the floorplan I want most in the building I want most) is generally unavailable. One just went on the market and had a contract in less than a week. The asking price was ~$475 per square foot; I'm sure it sold for more than that.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Sad thing is, dividing up all that land and putting in subdivisions is eating up land that typically was used for farming and ranching. Both of which require lots of land. Both of which much of our food comes from.

Ain't progress wonderful? s/.
    By now it's not as much of a problem. All the best farmland is already under cities.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Saw on another forum some land and a house up here in Valley View for $34K per acre. One member said that was a good price. Another said it was stupid high. Then another called the second an idiot because inflation just makes things cost too much so get over it. Asked if we make the same wage as 20 years ago. No but I was an idiot back then. Wages haven't come close to increasing at the same rate as taxes, insurance, and other goods. That is what is driving some of this. I don't guess I will ever be able to have some land for retirement as it will all be too high or covered in apartments.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Saw on another forum some land and a house up here in Valley View for $34K per acre. One member said that was a good price. Another said it was stupid high. Then another called the second an idiot because inflation just makes things cost too much so get over it. Asked if we make the same wage as 20 years ago. No but I was an idiot back then. Wages haven't come close to increasing at the same rate as taxes, insurance, and other goods. That is what is driving some of this. I don't guess I will ever be able to have some land for retirement as it will all be too high or covered in apartments.
    For reasons only speculated politicians want that. Retirement will be a hard goal for a lot of us. Affordable economy may be done. The damage done to our country and it’s people from a black hole of a government has potentially put the nail in the coffin.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The stupidity of people will never cease to amaze me.

This topic has been going thru some of my Fazebook circles too - and a neighbor, who works for the county and rides the dick of our commissioner has been trying to defend the insane expansion here, despite admitting that they can't keep up with building roads, or even keep up hiring enough police to go with the growth, never mind how over burdened the schools will be in no time, or the fire department, the ambulance services, or other public utilities.

This knuckle head is going to be really crying when all those literal thousands of new homes are snapped up by Californians or New Yorkers and his boss gets booted from the county commission in favor of some idiot liberal, and the county judge gets oustered for the same. Its already not looking great for our county judge, since he crashed his car into the back of a Constable's who was on a traffic stop on I-45 last year while allegedly impaired by meds.

The notion of "reasonably paced, planned for growth" "sounds a lot like China" to this...person (I'm trying to be nice). But hey - lets defoliate, lets pave over everything, build on every available inch of land because that means more tax revenue, more cush county jobs, more kickbacks for the county bosses, and all said bosses friends in real estate are going to get stupid wealthy from it. Its all good. To hell with anyone who doesn't go along with that program.

Yeah, its going to be just like Houston with the traffic jams, crime, and over burdened schools

Top Bottom