• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    A one acre lot next to our place just sold. 48k.

Hello California money.
    They are buying up the Hill Country.

The Old Ingram Loop is going to look like Disney Land in 5 years.

The appraisal on our place has tripled in 8 years.

Working incomes can no longer afford to live here.

I suppose it could be worse?
    We are being drug upscale. It could be landfills and used tire dumps.

Kerrville ain't cowboy anymore.
    Texas SOT

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Exactly. Anyone with any lick of sense knows if you buy or lease property to put cows or horses on, first thing you do before turning them out is to check the perimeter fences and repair them first.

Need to see which side of the fence posts the wire is on. The old school was if the posts are on your side of the wire it's your fence.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I lived in a quiet area southwest of Houston during the 70s. In a few short years I watched as we were absorbed by Houston with its traffic and crime. Unfortunately small towns are becoming a lost memory.
    My kin live down around Bay City and such. Still pretty rural down there and they love it.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    stuck their fooNeed to see which side of the fence posts the wire is on. The old school was if the posts are on your side of the wire it's your fence.

All due respect, and perhaps I was taught bassakwards, but wire on your side kept the livestock from popping the staples when they inevitably stuck their fool heads through and leaned on the wire when they grazed that greener stuff there.

But I’m a quarter coonass so....

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    The appraisal on our place has tripled in 8 years.

Working incomes can no longer afford to live here.

Wait...that would be fine here. It would fix the problem. Our influx isn't rich folks from California. Our school district and taxing problem is the rapidly changing demographic of the community. No, heavy taxes aren't the answer but it would seem higher cost of living would help ... but it doesn't because the problem people don't have to pay in the first place.

ktaylor966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2020
    DFW
    One of the draws for us to Magnolia, aside from family in the area, was the small town feel. With all the damn development going on, it's quickly becoming the sprawling mess of a suburb that we left in lefty-land. Just heard about this new 800-home development slated to go in across 1488 from our neighborhood. I foresee more flooding, more traffic, more crime, and higher property tax bills. I also foresee the quiet little town loosing its quiet little town charm, and turning into just another Houston suburb. We have friends that have a plan to pull the pin and move to central Texas in a couple years to a tiny town - and honestly, at this point, we may do the same depending on our situation at that point. I grew up in the country, and get kinda claustrophobic in town. Town is growing to encompass us - at this point I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or three Magnolia pushes the city limit out and starts annexing our area. They did for the area HEB is building a new store at 1488 and 149, across from Magnolia High. We love the area right now but the writing is on the wall. If the housing market doesnt' completely crash like 08 (I think it honestly will) and we can get what we have into this place, or better - I honestly see us selling and relocating again, to the chagrin of my wife. If we don't crash and this market keeps going up and up, hell, maybe we'll double the value. That just means to get a comparable place, we'll be paying a lot more too. Frickin Zillow / Realtor.com estimate our place has gained $60k in value since we moved here. That's nuts. But if someone wants to get stupid and offer me half a mil, they can have everything on the property but my guns, the clothes on our backs, and the car to get us the hell out right now.

One of the draws for us to Magnolia, aside from family in the area, was the small town feel. With all the damn development going on, it's quickly becoming the sprawling mess of a suburb that we left in lefty-land. Just heard about this new 800-home development slated to go in across 1488 from our neighborhood.

I foresee more flooding, more traffic, more crime, and higher property tax bills. I also foresee the quiet little town loosing its quiet little town charm, and turning into just another Houston suburb.

We have friends that have a plan to pull the pin and move to central Texas in a couple years to a tiny town - and honestly, at this point, we may do the same depending on our situation at that point. I grew up in the country, and get kinda claustrophobic in town. Town is growing to encompass us - at this point I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or three Magnolia pushes the city limit out and starts annexing our area. They did for the area HEB is building a new store at 1488 and 149, across from Magnolia High.

We love the area right now but the writing is on the wall. If the housing market doesnt' completely crash like 08 (I think it honestly will) and we can get what we have into this place, or better - I honestly see us selling and relocating again, to the chagrin of my wife. If we don't crash and this market keeps going up and up, hell, maybe we'll double the value. That just means to get a comparable place, we'll be paying a lot more too.

Frickin Zillow / Realtor.com estimate our place has gained $60k in value since we moved here. That's nuts. But if someone wants to get stupid and offer me half a mil, they can have everything on the property but my guns, the clothes on our backs, and the car to get us the hell out right now.
    I’m with you Brother. We sold our home in Colleyville in this overheated housing bubble, bought a mountainous home on 5 acres in rural Arkansas…. Then bought 10 more acres of land across the gravel road from us to create a landlock, we will have no neighbors (because it’s so hilly in the area it’s not possible to build, plus anyone who buys land has to dig a well and septic tank. That’s an instant $20k expense!) The nearest home is down in the valley, 816 yards from me according to my range finder.
    I purchased $2500 worth of steel targets (plates and silhouettes) and set up a very nice 14-yd pistol range and 65-yd AR range.
    Go for land! Buy as much as you can and if you go very rural you find some bargains.
    TX is in my rear view mirror forever but I’ll still Subscribe to this great forum.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Prices are crazy. A friend that sold his 40 acres outside of Palmer went for shy of 800 thousand. It didn’t even have a house. It had a shop converted to live in lol.

I want some retard from California to buy my place for 500k.

Not far from my in laws is a new home being constructed...sob has to be 10k square feet with at least 8 acres fully fenced with brick up front. Gate says “estate” in fancy font. I’m a hillbilly so that’s a mansion.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Lived in Cottonwood, TX, for years. It was just outside of Scurry. Scurry was just down the road a piece from Kaufman. I sure miss that life. Kaufman had a great hardware store. Reminded me of the old Western auto my Grampa used to own. Didn’t sell guns though.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    One guy with lots of money is buying up land all around out here. He is clearing & making improvements on every piece he buys. The turn off from 1512 on to 890 were the marina sign is has been his latest purchase. Guy at the marina claims he is going to put in another marina. Eventually from the bridge to 890 will be cleared.

Yesterday’s rain problem had them itching to light up burn piles. I seen the fire department out fighting grass fires, actual heard their siren, for the second time since moving here.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    It is happening here - about 15 miles out of Abilene. I stumbled across a deal on the house and, when I finally got the renter out, I moved in. Small town, small local businesses, and mostly decent folks.

Now, the Economic Development Corp of the city has a "vision of the town as a bedroom community for Abilene" - which does not include many of the folks already living here. There are 170 plus homes ($300K plus) slated to be built in two subdivisions here.

Now there is a bloody winebar with charcuterie (?), a coffee house, and they are pushing for the sale of mixed drinks "to bring more restaurants in". They are spending $14 million to build a "sports complex" (not to mention over $200k a year to maintain it) to bring in more "sports" business.

Anyone that points out the drawbacks - especially the holes in their logic about how much money their favorite projects will bring in to the city - is accused of NIMBY, anti-growth, etc. They want the benefits of growth but they refuse to see the negative effects - such as the fact that kids growing up here today will not be able to afford a place to raise their kids here one day!

Last edited:

ktaylor966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2020
    DFW
    If everyone moved to a small town, there would be no more small towns.
    It’s very sad that within a few years Texas will host all of those Leftists who lest California is as a wasteland.
    I was born, raised and spent my entire adult life in Fort Worth. One year ago we sold our home at a premium price and bought a home on 15 acres in rural Arkansas. I retire early from my corporate job and became a Sheriff Deputy here.
    Between my new rural home with no neighbors, and my new job in Law Enforcement (working for a very Conservative Sheriff, he doesn’t allow body cams!) I don’t feel I’ll be affected by anything that happens from the Left, nor what happens in D.C. None of this non-sense will affect me any longer.
    The state of TX is turning Purple very rapidly. It’s probably time some of you folks consider moving either out into the far fringes of TX (Far East or Far West), or simply pack up and move out like we did.
    TX is permanently in my rear view mirror and it’s very sad.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It’s very sad that within a few years Texas will host all of those Leftists who lest California is as a wasteland.
    I was born, raised and spent my entire adult life in Fort Worth. One year ago we sold our home at a premium price and bought a home on 15 acres in rural Arkansas. I retire early from my corporate job and became a Sheriff Deputy here.
    Between my new rural home with no neighbors, and my new job in Law Enforcement (working for a very Conservative Sheriff, he doesn’t allow body cams!) I don’t feel I’ll be affected by anything that happens from the Left, nor what happens in D.C. None of this non-sense will affect me any longer.
    The state of TX is turning Purple very rapidly. It’s probably time some of you folks consider moving either out into the far fringes of TX (Far East or Far West), or simply pack up and move out like we did.
    TX is permanently in my rear view mirror and it’s very sad.

Well, glad to hear you found a place that suits you, even if you had to leave Texas for it. How are the taxes in Arkansas treating you? I've researched it a bit before we settled on Texas, they seem to have a low property tax rate, but they have both state income and sales taxes, correct?

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    One guy with lots of money is buying up land all around out here. He is clearing & making improvements on every piece he buys. The turn off from 1512 on to 890 were the marina sign is has been his latest purchase. Guy at the marina claims he is going to put in another marina. Eventually from the bridge to 890 will be cleared.

Yesterday’s rain problem had them itching to light up burn piles. I seen the fire department out fighting grass fires, actual heard their siren, for the second time since moving here.
    Which lake?

Top Bottom