• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Federal's quality is generally better than Blazer, but yeah I haven't had have great experiences with aluminum cased stuff.

eh, **** it... I'm going to order some. Worst case scenario is it gets reserved for the Sterling. It eats anything.

I use it in my Glocks + a CZ P01 with zero issues. I wouldnt hesitate to buy it in bulk
    Venture Surplus ad

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I just wouldn't store aluminum cased ammo for long periods... it's not for "buy it cheap and stock it deep", it's for "buy it cheep and shoot the chit out it". I could be wrong and it lasts... but I do know that aluminum oxide is used to make sandpaper :popcorn:

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I used to like using aluminum cases but was having a lot of Failures to Extract. It was Federal ammo in 40 and 45. After I shot all the aluminum I switched to brass and had zero issues. Also never had a problem with the 9mm aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Blazer has always worked well for me.
    The .38Spec ammo is filthy! After firing the gun is coated with residue almost as bad blackpowder fouling.
    Its cheap tho. Meh.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I just wouldn't store aluminum cased ammo for long periods... it's not for "buy it cheap and stock it deep", it's for "buy it cheep and shoot the chit out it". I could be wrong and it lasts... but I do know that aluminum oxide is used to make sandpaper :popcorn:
    I have had some aluminum 9mm stored in the factory box inside of an ammo can for a long time(4-5 years?) and nothing happened. Same with steel. I guess if you are storing it in an area without temp + humidity control, it will be a problem but I do believe the milsurp ammo cans with good seals do a good job at preserving it.

That said, I usually buy the cci posted in that sale and store that because its fairly cheap and good ammo

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Blazer has always worked well for me.
    The .38Spec ammo is filthy!
    The ammo I miss the most is the aluminum CCI Blazer .38 Special 148-gr HBWC. I got a few boxes after it went out of production and, in my guns, it was as accurate as Federal Gold Medal match ammo. It was dirtier but I didn't care since I was using revolvers. In a .38 Special 1911, I'm sure it would have been a problem, though.

That's another one of those "I shoulda bought a pallet" deals.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I've had some for 20+ years. No problems.
    meh, to each their own... I'll store brass long term, steel cautiously long term (I've got a significant amount of 7.62x39 in steel)... but aluminum is for blasting... but I rarely have bought aluminum cased ammo.

I'm still looking for someone who will reload my old Aluminum cases... :popcorn:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm still looking for someone who will reload my old Aluminum cases...
    I can't reload it but back when I could get it for $2.95/box it was too tempting to pass up. I bought a lot.

The only reason I haven't shot it all up is that I do relatively more shooting at indoor ranges that prohibit aluminum cases. Need to get out to the gun club more, I guess. :)

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I can't reload it but back when I could get it for $2.95/box it was too tempting to pass up. I bought a lot.

The only reason I haven't shot it all up is that I do relatively more shooting at indoor ranges that prohibit aluminum cases. Need to get out to the gun club more, I guess. :)
    yeah, I prohibit myself from shooting at ranges that collect/take ownership of my brass.

But living in the country were a range is optional will do that to ya.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

Bare aluminum will oxidize within seconds. The oxide layer actually protects the metal. Mercury will prevent the formation of the oxide layer. You can Google the results.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    1950merc.jpg

Top Bottom