• Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Gov. Rick Perry for decriminalization of pot - San Antonio Express-News

SAN ANTONIO — Texas Gov. Rick Perrysignaled Thursday that he's for the decriminalization of marijuana use — not legalization, but the softening of punishment for pot users in the border state.
    “As governor, I have begun to implement policies that start us toward a decriminalization” by introducing alternative “drug courts” that provide treatment and softer penalties for minor offenses, Perry said during an international panel on drug legalization at the World Economic Forumin Davos, Switzerland.
    It's the first time the governor, who's voiced support for drug courts in the past, took a position on decriminalization in Texas.
    His spokeswoman confirmed that Perry is staunchly opposed to legalization of marijuana because of health risks, but is committed to policies that would lower the punishment for its use in order to keep smokers out of jail.
    “Legalization is no penalty at all, where as decriminalization doesn't necessarily mean jail time (for minor possession offenses.) It means more of a fine or counseling or some sort of program where you don't end up in jail but in a rehabilitative program,” said Lucy Nashed, a spokeswoman for Perry.
    “The goal is to keep people out of jails and reduce recidivism, that kind of thing,” she said, adding that decriminalization excludes violent offenders and dealers.
    In Texas, an offender with less than two ounces of marijuana can be sentenced to up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $2,000. An offender with more than five pounds faces up to two years in jail.
    Drug courts, which provide supervision and intense rehabilitation for some convicted drug users in lieu of jail time, were passed in Texas in 2001 by a group of Democrat lawmakers.
    Bills have been introduced in the state Legislature to reduce penalties and allow the sale of medicinal marijuana over the last six years but have not made it out of committee.
    In the past, Perry has discussed his opposition to legalization of marijuana but voiced his support for the 10th amendment and state's rights to legalize the drug, which he highlighted at the forum Thursday.
    Perry did not address medicinal use of marijuana during the event.
    Nashed said he has discussed support of drug courts in the past. However, the governor specifically has not gone as far as supporting decriminalization in public comments.
    “I am shocked,” said Ana Yañez-Correa, executive director of the Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, adding that Perry killed a drug treatment bill the organization supported in 2007. “I am very happy to hear the governor supports a more rehabilitative approach.”
    More than 15,000 people are imprisoned in Texas correctional facilities for sole possession of drugs, Yañez-Correa said.
    Margarita Noriega, a Reuters reporter covering the panel, said Perry was “absolutely out of place” at the event and seemed to be campaigning for president.
    Perry announced in 2013 that he would not seek re-election to his office. He has not confirmed whether he will run for president, again. Perry sought the Republican nomination to the office in 2012.
    When asked whether Perry thinks it's a good idea to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana in Texas, Nashed said “he has long supported diversionary programs, like drug courts in Texas that have had remarkable results.”
    Perry made the comments on a panel that included former United Nations Secretary GeneralKofi Annan and Colombian President Juan Manuel.

kparker@express-news.net
    Capitol Armory ad

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    It's about time. Man's arrogance in criminalizing use of a farking plant defies logic, and is nothing more than a device to exercise power over the governed. We learned absolutely nothing from that historical exercise in futility, Prohibition.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think the pro pot guys are more rabid than than the fans of 1911s and ARs combined! I know youre not pro pot youre pro liberty! Dont smoke yourselves retarded with your liberty.

Without Life there can be no Liberty.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I think the pro pot guys are more rabid than than the fans of 1911s and ARs combined! I know youre not pro pot youre pro liberty! Dont smoke yourselves retarded with your liberty.

Those of us who didn't inhale are immune on good authority. ;)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Get over yourself.

Your idea of freedom seems to be a world where everyone agrees with your views and people only do things you believe are right.

Try to fathom the idea of disagreeing with something and still believing it should be legal because it doesn't actually violate any of your rights.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've never taken a hit off a joint. I ain't gonna lie-sometimes I'd be interested in trying just once, but I have too much at stake to chance it. Like my CHL, for example. However, I have no issues with other people being able to do it in moderation.

I don't mind pot-I just don't like the pot culture.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It's about time. Man's arrogance in criminalizing use of a farking plant defies logic, and is nothing more than a device to exercise power over the governed. We learned absolutely nothing from that historical exercise in futility, Prohibition.

Like coca? Poppies? Meth trees? Beer gardens?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Get over yourself.

Your idea of freedom seems to be a world where everyone agrees with your views and people only do things you believe are right.

Try to fathom the idea of disagreeing with something and still believing it should be legal because it doesn't actually violate any of your rights.

Hey! Play nice you!

Thanks for stating what you think my view is? (see what I did there)

Nah, I really don't think weed is worse than alcohol and should probably be as legal as alcohol is. However, lots of people ruin their lives and health with alcohol and many of the big pro pot advocates come across as total STONERS and don't effectively communicate their point to me.

So go Gov Perry! I guess.

Wait, if being a pot smoker makes it illegal for you to buy guns, shouldn't we be against people smoking pot? Oh wait, we're going to get that law repealed? Or it just won't be enforced by BHO? Except when it is?

My original statement stands. "Don't smoke yourselves retarded with your liberty."

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've never taken a hit off a joint. I ain't gonna lie-sometimes I'd be interested in trying just once, but I have too much at stake to chance it. Like my CHL, for example. However, I have no issues with other people being able to do it in moderation.

I don't mind pot-I just don't like the pot culture.

I smoked actual grass from my lawn as a kid. Rolled it up in a paper and tried to smoke it!

Maybe that Scotts Turf Builder affected my brain?

Top Bottom