• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He signed a bunch of bills. A couple of them were previously signed; this is a summary.

No CHL renewal classes after Sept 1.* Initial classes are reduced in time from the current 10 to 15 hours, to only 4 to 6 hours.* Our legislators; however, did not remove any topics.* Non violent dispute resolution, safety and use,* laws regarding carry and deadly force, and storage practices all remain as required topics.* As you other instructors know, currently we must also teach eligibility requirements, suspensions and revocations, and what to do if a peace officer or magistrate demands the CHL holder identify himself.*

We must teach those extra topics because DPS has chosen to include test questions on those topics.* It will be interesting to See how DPS responds to this.* They DID add language that causes the shooting test to not be included in the time counting towards the 4 to 6 hours.

Also, switchblades will no longer be prohibited weapons.*

There will no longer be two categories of handguns, SA and NSA.*

One other big change is that as of Sept, it will no longer be a violation to intentionally fail to conceal a handgun.* The violation will be intentionally display in a public place.* There is also a defense for a lawful display.*

I will post separate discussions for each of these main topics.*

As of yesterday, all of the following bills have been signed by Governor Perry and will go into effect Sept 1.

Hotels have to clearly notify of anti gun policies
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for HB 333

reduces fees for certain military, corrections and LE
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for HB 485

makes procedures for folks in smaller counties for fingerprints
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for HB 698

Social Security Numbers no longer can be required for CHL
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for HB 1349

Veteran marked CHLs
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for SB 164

Changes 46.035 from intentionally fail to conceal to intentionally displays in a public place.* Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for SB 299

*reduces CHL class to 4-6-hours
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for SB 864

Prevents colleges from banning handguns in cars on campus
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for SB 1907

Eliminates renewal classes
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for HB 48

Removes Switchblades as Prohibited Weapons
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for HB 1862

No more SA or NSA
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB3142
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I wonder if the public display would include lifting your shirt and repositioning an unruly holster?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Since the Marxist Obama Regime wants and has designated Veterans as "terrorists" I am not interested in having anything I have marked with my Vet status. I'm already old enough to order off the feeble menu at Dennys. That's enough recognition for me. Just sayin

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    It was changed from fail to conceal to intentionally display.

Intentionally display in public place.........define public place. Yes Walmart is a public place..but where is the line? Sounds like those under the steering wheel holsters might be ok now. The inside of my vehicle is definently not a public place.

Driller

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Intentionally display in public place.........define public place. Yes Walmart is a public place..but where is the line? Sounds like those under the steering wheel holsters might be ok now. The inside of my vehicle is definently not a public place.

Driller

Public place is defined in, I believe, chapter 4 of the penal code.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    So if someone can see inside my vehicle it is now a public place. Seems like before a weapon must be concealed everywhere. Seems like the spirit of the law is to allow for openness in ones private space.

Driller

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    So if someone can see inside my vehicle it is now a public place. Seems like before a weapon must be concealed everywhere. Seems like the spirit of the law is to allow for openness in ones private space.

Driller

The way i see it they changed it so that an accidental display isnt going to land you in jail. As in you reach for something on the top shelf at the store and some one sees it. Where as before with "fail to conceal" technically you failed to conceal it as you raised your arm above your head.

Top Bottom