• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Has killed every chicken we own and two of the neighbors' dogs that got into our yard...

Came out to this this morning:
    npJuvm09eU5SmGNzIJzV2PgvvBV7t_XmoJVO7OU9-YVR8r9hUk3ZYVjRv4OCZdRWwGFMLeBgbopouTz6js=w1250-h937-no.jpg

nDfuh-GsTaKx_UdRGYPBpzSzHVpq3iibXP_znIrfqsI_JgIzGdUq6K0vdChNAW7Tm3EKugljoLB0Hgpots=w1250-h937-no.jpg

I7PKVzLARdL_oPxY1JX_Bo_I7rtCYfkUZjz7aFC8azBmLTrCXc1peta-_A4_5P2vAmIhgMaR3zapD-YCuq=w1250-h937-no.jpg

Something must have gotten onto my car during the night. It took everything I had this morning to keep a bullet out of his head.

$85 surrender fee at City of Waco, $.60 for a 125gr 300AAC, or a couple bucks for gas to drop him off in the country.

He's running out of time and I'm running out of patience, chickens and cars.

Completely house trained, crate trained, neutered, great with children and larger dogs.

Terrible with small dogs, chickens and clear coat.
    en6-HD7TJqZ4wxObfEacfgLwDMJw0SQF9CdQ3hfQsRhe2UnjATi58rTwhaGylKO4qSR-_RieOCOA_WaxPF=w1248-h937-no.jpg

pTfQsS4cU-AkVRcbDtv1NYf6laxVqr6R099a4SZATQ3kkFZK7-i4ctHWc7-OLFRnERMCCpTFL1__4VCZ-XB=w703-h937-no.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tabb6Kx1naXhMb4g8
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• npJuvm09eU5SmGNzIJzV2PgvvBV7t_XmoJVO7OU9-YVR8r9hUk3ZYVjRv4OCZdRWwGFMLeBgbopouTz6js=w1250-h937-no.jpg
      npJuvm09eU5SmGNzIJzV2PgvvBV7t_XmoJVO7OU9-YVR8r9hUk3ZYVjRv4OCZdRWwGFMLeBgbopouTz6js=w1250-h937-no.jpg
      331 KB · Views: 526
    • nDfuh-GsTaKx_UdRGYPBpzSzHVpq3iibXP_znIrfqsI_JgIzGdUq6K0vdChNAW7Tm3EKugljoLB0Hgpots=w1250-h937-no.jpg
      nDfuh-GsTaKx_UdRGYPBpzSzHVpq3iibXP_znIrfqsI_JgIzGdUq6K0vdChNAW7Tm3EKugljoLB0Hgpots=w1250-h937-no.jpg
      324.6 KB · Views: 481
    • I7PKVzLARdL_oPxY1JX_Bo_I7rtCYfkUZjz7aFC8azBmLTrCXc1peta-_A4_5P2vAmIhgMaR3zapD-YCuq=w1250-h937-no.jpg
      I7PKVzLARdL_oPxY1JX_Bo_I7rtCYfkUZjz7aFC8azBmLTrCXc1peta-_A4_5P2vAmIhgMaR3zapD-YCuq=w1250-h937-no.jpg
      279.2 KB · Views: 499
    • en6-HD7TJqZ4wxObfEacfgLwDMJw0SQF9CdQ3hfQsRhe2UnjATi58rTwhaGylKO4qSR-_RieOCOA_WaxPF=w1248-h937-no.jpg
      en6-HD7TJqZ4wxObfEacfgLwDMJw0SQF9CdQ3hfQsRhe2UnjATi58rTwhaGylKO4qSR-_RieOCOA_WaxPF=w1248-h937-no.jpg
      191.5 KB · Views: 500
    • pTfQsS4cU-AkVRcbDtv1NYf6laxVqr6R099a4SZATQ3kkFZK7-i4ctHWc7-OLFRnERMCCpTFL1__4VCZ-XB=w703-h937-no.jpg
      pTfQsS4cU-AkVRcbDtv1NYf6laxVqr6R099a4SZATQ3kkFZK7-i4ctHWc7-OLFRnERMCCpTFL1__4VCZ-XB=w703-h937-no.jpg
      132.2 KB · Views: 469

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    hellish horses,

WISHING that I had a place to keep him for a few days, as I'd like to introduce him to several packs of coydogs & coyotes that like "chasing stock" in my home county.

yours, satx

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    hellish horses,

WISHING that I had a place to keep him for a few days, as I'd like to introduce him to several packs of coydogs & coyotes that like "chasing stock" in my home county.

yours, satx
    Yeah. Unfortunately, he's doing exactly what hundreds of years of selective breeding have ingrained in him.. Killing everything he considers a threat, even if it means climbing onto my car to get it. He would make a magnificent flock guardian. He protects the hell out of ours.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Looks like he's saying "I ruv you Shaggy".
    I dealt with the Waco pound 40 years ago. After they told me the surrender fee, I told them the cost of a .22 LR. The desk lady practically tore the dog from my hands & said "We'll take him". YMMV.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Any dog you cant trust or control you shouldn't keep alive. I'm sorry but dogs that act like that can get you sued or charged with a crime if they hurt someone especially after you know there is an issue. That doesnt mean just put them down. You have a responsibility to solve the problem if possible.

I would take him to the vet and make sure he doesnt have a health issue driving him nuts like painful infections etc. Then teach him to use a treadmill and put him on it for a couple miles a day. Dogs with energy and drives like that take to it pretty easily.

After that if his actions dont calm down you have a choice to make. Dont give him away without full disclosure and a trial period as he may not adjust and just get worse.

Yes I have experience in handling extremely high energy and drive dogs. Drug dogs n such. Without training and working, highly intelligent high drive dogs become destructive and even dangerous.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    How much activity do these dogs need?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Not much. He lays around like a cat most of the day, but they are nocturnal and like to "patrol" at night — which is when he gets in trouble. Pyrenees are not a high energy breed, but are very stubborn. They mix well with goats and sheep because they aren't very intelligent.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    How much activity do these dogs need?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    AFAIK they don't need tons but they can be surprisingly strong. And very protective of what they consider "theirs". Be it flocks or people. They make good guard dogs. Typically not scared of much.

If nothing else, Humane Heroes or ( as much as I hate to recommend them) the local ASPCA should take him and find a suitable home. I know several folks involved with them and they do care about pets like him.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    They are bred to protect flocks.
    Other dogs get on their property will be treated as a threat.
    Exactly. He never gets out of sorts unless something invades his invisible fence — like chickens, armadillos, baby pigs, copperheads and the neighbors' little dogs. All have been found dead in our yard.

He doesn't bother my moms labs or the great dane from down the street.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds like you need to adjust the barrier situation.

The dog is probably never going to be able to guard a flock at this point and will likely end up killing young sheep/goats trying to play with them.

Shame to see a dog killed due to mistakes of the owner. Find a professional to help you straighten him out. He’s your responsibility, not a random nuisance to be dealt with.

A shock collar and constant supervision until he learns that your always watching might go a long ways. He’s doing what he’s been trained to believe is either ok or he can get away with. He can be trained to work in a reasonable way within the bounds of his instincts. Nothing wrong with the breed, they can do just fine if taught to behave in the environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    GRAYWOLF,

A great deal of activity AND these dogs NEED "a job to do".

"hellish horses" is exactly correct: HUNDREDS of years of selective breeding give these dogs a "prey drive" unmatched by few other breeds.
    (I'd bet that the damage to the car was because there was a stray cat, possum, bobcat or a coon on the car's roof & that he was doing his best to get to/kill "the intruder".)

Further, IMO they are NOT particularly suitable as HOUSE PETS.
    They are WORKING DOGS & often "get into mischief" & "may cause havoc" without such a "guardian's job" to do unless they are carefully monitored 24/365 and/or are "out with the flocks".

Fwiw, I'd bet money that IF he was given to a stockman & given the job of protecting his stock that the GP would be FINE & would soon "clean out" the predators that are always lurking out there & always hungry.

Note: A pair of donkeys, that I adopted a few years ago, put a SUDDEN STOP to the roving packs of coydogs & coyotes that were "bothering our stock".
    (Canines are generally NOT stupid & a couple of "prowling 'yotes" stomped to BLOODY MUSH pretty much put a stop to our predator problem. - They now avoid the pastures where "the boys" are like the plague.)

yours, satx

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Train him to do what exactly?
    Look I full understand what the breed was bred to do. My very first rescue was an Australian Shepherd that killed 11 pigs. I trained him all kinds of things to help use up his energy & enthusiasm. I taught him to play Frisbee & he would wear out three differnt people throwing for him. I taught him how to open & close doors. I taught him to fetch specific toy. I bought a bite sleeve & taught him to attck on command. Mainly I taught him commands & what was not allowed.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    hellish horses,

Your dog might well make a GREAT "facility guardian" if there is a large fenced facility nearby that has a trespassing/constant theft problem.

When I was stationed in Long Beach CA in 1983, I was responsible for a VERY large "outdoor storage facility", that was constantly having things vandalized & stolen at night. - The fences were also being frequently damaged by intruders/vandals.

Not having "the budget" to hire more security guards, we acquired a pair of "big, tough cross-breeds" from the local animal shelter, that were released into the storage yard each evening at dusk & posted WARNING SIGNS on the exterior fences that there were guard dogs within. = END OF PROBLEM.

yours, satx

Top Bottom