Capitol Armory ad

Greg Abbott for Governor- Please Help!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If I were the citizen denied I would be asking that to the Sheriff too. Under what cause and can you put that in writing please.

If it is anything to do with his personal feelings on NFA matters or firearms in general, that is unacceptable and I am moving to the next office:

Q: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.
    [27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

If I am ineligible based on current state or federal firearm laws and my personal legal history, then I am plainly, lawfully ineligible. The use of a Sheriff to judge a person or intentions is subjective. Particularly in large areas where a Sheriff has no personal contact with residents enough to know them. It is asking the same question you just asked that the AG would be saying if they were presented with an CLEO signoff request.

If CLEO signoff is required and asked on any office then scrutiny of an NFA applicant must be based on law and statute (ETA: or background checks), not subjective matters.
    Absolutely concur

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Have we seen anything other than a Facebook post attacking Mr Abbott? No. I havent heard from his campaign. Essentially his NFA stance is a non-issue if we have no statements or positions to debate.

He IS the best candidate in Texas for Governor for a lot of reasons including supporting our gun rights. Im fine with keeping this thread going but will of course participate in a new one as well. Im curious who the NRA and TSRA support for governor in Texas?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Hah, as if Navy & Army would ever agree on anything. Especially after Army took another spanking yesterday. :p

The AG is. I suppose if we are talking about offices then make it less ofwho is in it and more of what it is. The AG office should set the tone of all LEAs in the state. If the AG personally refuses because he doesn't know a citizen then the entire state is out of luck except for those lucky enough to have friends in high places.

If Abbott personally doesn't want that on his shoulders (sounds like all the other Sheriffs who refused sign off) then who should be responsible for language/laws/statutes? Will this be a matter for state legislature then?
    'biglucky' said that and I will not argue it, seems logical to me.

Concur on this may well be a something the legislature needs to spell out.

All that said the Sheriff in question is part of the Austin cabal. Having lived out in San Fran for a while I will say that Austin/San Fran not sure there is a big difference other than the ocean is bigger than their lakes but extreme liberal thinking is the order of the day.

This problem could have been solved had we just told the feds NO when they put the ban on full auto MG, specifically due to the Thompson. While I am not sure of the current fashion of 'cans', maybe its cheaper than FA stuff, something else I fail to see to attraction of, but that is just me...maybe I have just put a lot of rds downrange in FA and employed it on the killing fields and know how useful it is or is not...

If you want a sweet 'can', try this one I am getting ready to shoot in 9mm and its an organic application...

View attachment 25400

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Really sad to see how far this fund raising thread got jacked.

Does no one here know how to post a new topic?

UHM.. if you start a Greg Abbott for Governor thread, then you ought to expect a discussion on the merits of supporting that candidate.

And Ole Cowboy.... Nobody is talking about people who get denied based upon a background check or any other merit based reason....

ANYWAY... I will exit the thread. It is obvious that nobody cares about the NFA thing. You aren't going to find any "official stance" because this is not something he would publish. The person who I quoted's livelihood is at stake if 41p goes through and there isn't a state solution to bad local CLEO policies. If Abbott was friendly he (and I for that matter) would be the first one to bring that fact to you.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    UHM.. if you start a Greg Abbott for Governor thread, then you ought to expect a discussion on the merits of supporting that candidate.

And Ole Cowboy.... Nobody is talking about people who get denied based upon a background check or any other merit based reason....

ANYWAY... I will exit the thread. It is obvious that nobody cares about the NFA thing. You aren't going to find any "official stance" because this is not something he would publish. The person who I quoted's livelihood is at stake if 41p goes through and there isn't a state solution to bad local CLEO policies. If Abbott was friendly he (and I for that matter) would be the first one to bring that fact to you.

If I get a chance I'll post a 'Greg Abbott - Discussion' thread later today. Or if someone else is so inclined before I can (currently driving to west Texas) please do.

Discussion is good but that wasn't the purpose of this thread.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Really sad to see how far this fund raising thread got jacked.

Does no one here know how to post a new topic?
    Best I can tell the thread is about raising money. To raise money someone has to believe in and support you. 'biglucky' brought up a point that in the mind of folks on this forum might well be a point of issue on whether or not to support with a check. I personally think the discussion was valid.

Abbott is my man, he has my money and I have his sticker and proud of it. I was not going to let biglucky get in a hit without some comeback...no one gives blindly to any politician.

ANYONE who posts a thread on current politics and does not expect debate to occur is living in another country.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Best I can tell the thread is about raising money. To raise money someone has to believe in and support you. 'biglucky' brought up a point that in the mind of folks on this forum might well be a point of issue on whether or not to support with a check. I personally think the discussion was valid.

Abbott is my man, he has my money and I have his sticker and proud of it. I was not going to let biglucky get in a hit without some comeback...no one gives blindly to any politician.

ANYONE who posts a thread on current politics and does not expect debate to occur is living in another country.

Your right. And thank you for your help.

To get the ball rolling again I just made another donation.

de9ymypy.jpg

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Bump! Please help us insure that Wendy Davis gets the ass stomping she needs!
    And not just that, but to keep Texas Texas the only one I see on the landscape is Gregg Abbott...I mean he has sued Obama 24 times at least, he has guts, he is hunter and one smart man.

Couple of days ago I got a call from Gregg Abbott's office. We spoke on the issues that biglucky brought up on here. They were in full concurrence with my views and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I said yes, if I send my Gadsden flag up there can you get Gregg to sign it for me...They gave me their address and to send it attn. to them and they would take care of it.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    And not just that, but to keep Texas Texas the only one I see on the landscape is Gregg Abbott...I mean he has sued Obama 24 times at least, he has guts, he is hunter and one smart man.

Couple of days ago I got a call from Gregg Abbott's office. We spoke on the issues that biglucky brought up on here. They were in full concurrence with my views and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I said yes, if I send my Gadsden flag up there can you get Gregg to sign it for me...They gave me their address and to send it attn. to them and they would take care of it.

They were in full concurrence of what views??

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to ascertain exactly what you discussed with Abbott's campaign and exactly what he was in full concurrence with. Your posts on this thread are as follows - am I missing something?

Let me get this straight, your local CLEO will not sign off on the 41P and you want to then take it to the state AG and have them sign off on it? (please correct me if I am wrong)

And the AG legal team reviewed it and took a pass on that. Unless there is more to this I agree 100%. Common courtesy and sense would dictate the state AG would not overrule a local CLEO, in fact I respect the AG for taking that stand. The complaint is NOT with the state AG, but with your local CLEO. Which brings me to my next question: Why won't your local CLEO sign off??????

In addition I see this as putting a unneeded burden on the state AG office to handle requests from across the state rather than having it done locally.

1) I still see this as a local issue, not the state AG, but then I respect the 'chain of command'... My Company Co will not give me a pass, so I go see the Battalion CO...don't expect the Bn Co to grant you one either.

2) I do not see this as a GA stand but rather his legal team does not like the potential exposure that may bring. Good, bad or indifferent that is what they are there to do. I also concur. The downside could be catastrophic for all concerned...Abbott overrides Sheriff, signs off on NFA (then some rare but incident occurs and the news media is on it like stink on chit).

3) I found this: The Williams Cty Sheriff will sign off on any of the requests after a face to face meeting; to schedule an in person meeting with Sheriff Wilson: Sheriffs Secretary: Debra Wolf 512-943-1402

Not trying to get into a pizzin match, but so far I do not see the justification for your stand...

Let us know on that please...

Not at all, we are not talking about who you work for or the UCMJ I am talking about hierarchy of power. An attempt to bypass the County Sheriff by going to the AG! Few on here are as supportive of the 2-A than I and were I the AG I can assure you if my legal team said it was not a good idea I would not do it and I would not in most cases give approval over the local CLEO ... COMMON SENSE sometime dictates.

Certainly, the AG would ask. Did you go to your local CLEO, if not, why not, if so were you turned down, then why? And you want ME to approve? No time soon sunshine...

I could have used the analogy of the 'mom and pop' routine: Mom, can I go to the movies?...NO! ... Daddy can I go to the movies?

1) See my reply in post 53...you stated the AG is the CLEO for the state of Texas, therefore there is a hierarchical relationship and trying to go around is not likely to work. As for liability, YEP in spades. If your local CLEO turned you down due to failure to meet the background test standards and the state AG ignored and overruled...can you spell L I A B I L I T Y $$$$$$$$$$$$$ in the event a event occured, school shooting.

2) Not sure now, but I just did research with a lot of googling and came across that tidbit. I would think it would be worth a fone call to inquire...I don't live in that county

Coming from a retired Army officer it does apply. The relationship of citizen vs soldier does not apply it is the hierarchical I was referring to, nothing else!

"fact of the matter is that the AG is they CLEO for the State of Texas"

'biglucky' said that and I will not argue it, seems logical to me.

Concur on this may well be a something the legislature needs to spell out.

All that said the Sheriff in question is part of the Austin cabal. Having lived out in San Fran for a while I will say that Austin/San Fran not sure there is a big difference other than the ocean is bigger than their lakes but extreme liberal thinking is the order of the day.

This problem could have been solved had we just told the feds NO when they put the ban on full auto MG, specifically due to the Thompson. While I am not sure of the current fashion of 'cans', maybe its cheaper than FA stuff, something else I fail to see to attraction of, but that is just me...maybe I have just put a lot of rds downrange in FA and employed it on the killing fields and know how useful it is or is not...

If you want a sweet 'can', try this one I am getting ready to shoot in 9mm and its an organic application...

View attachment 25400

I NEVER said that, read my posts. If you want argue lets take it to another thread.

Top Bottom