Venture Surplus ad

Greg Abbott for Governor- Please Help!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to ascertain exactly what you discussed with Abbott's campaign and exactly what he was in full concurrence with. Your relevant posts on this thread are as follows - am I missing something?

1) I still see this as a local issue, not the state AG, but then I respect the 'chain of command'... My Company Co will not give me a pass, so I go see the Battalion CO...don't expect the Bn Co to grant you one either.

2) I do not see this as a GA stand but rather his legal team does not like the potential exposure that may bring. Good, bad or indifferent that is what they are there to do. I also concur. The downside could be catastrophic for all concerned...Abbott overrides Sheriff, signs off on NFA (then some rare but incident occurs and the news media is on it like stink on chit).

3) I found this: The Williams Cty Sheriff will sign off on any of the requests after a face to face meeting; to schedule an in person meeting with Sheriff Wilson: Sheriffs Secretary: Debra Wolf 512-943-1402

Certainly, the AG would ask. Did you go to your local CLEO, if not, why not, if so were you turned down, then why? And you want ME to approve? No time soon sunshine...
    Hurley's Gold

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I'm honestly not trying to argue but I fail to see how I mischaracterized your position. You don't believe the AG should override the decision of a local CLEO. Is that not correct?

And again, we still don't know exactly what you discussed with Abbott's campaign, or what they concurred with.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I'm honestly not trying to argue but I fail to see how I mischaracterized your position. You don't believe the AG should override the decision of a local CLEO. Is that not correct?

And again, we still don't know exactly what you discussed with Abbott's campaign, or what they concurred with.

Certainly, the AG would ask. Did you go to your local CLEO, if not, why not, if so were you turned down, then why? And you want ME to approve? No time soon sunshine...

Only a FOOL would override a local CLEO that has turned down someone due to failing a background check, if they did not fail then they would be approved.

If you CLEO says no I will not even consider it, then your issue is with the CLEO, NOT the state AG...

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Won't make the 2013 deadline, but I'm donating. Thanks for the thread, and thanks all who donated.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Lol at the comparison of Cleo sign off to military chain of command.
    It was not a comparison, rather it was an example of a chain of command. In fact it was biglucky who said the State AG was the CLEO for the state of Tex, that being said we clearly have a de facto relationship like a chain of command.

Just wonder, in your 13000 posts do you ever make a positive contribution, if so I have yet to see it on here...

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin

Only a FOOL would override a local CLEO that has turned down someone due to failing a background check, if they did not fail then they would be approved.

If you CLEO says no I will not even consider it, then your issue is with the CLEO, NOT the state AG...

I thought the issue was with CLEO's who turn down NFA applications for no reason other than they are leftist fools, like mine (Art Acevedo). Of course nobody thinks an AG should override a failed background check.

For the record, from what I know of the issue, I agree with you. The problem is with the NFA process itself, which is controlled pretty much at the federal level and I don't know of much a state AG or governor could do even if he wanted to. And for the record, even if Abbott could legally override meritless denials and chose not to, it's such a minor subset of the gun world that I wouldn't withdraw my support over this one little thing. I'm just curious to know exactly what you discussed with Abott's campaign and exactly what they concurred with. I don't understand why that's such a hard question for you to answer.

Note to self - get an NFA trust set up while I still can.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I thought the issue was with CLEO's who turn down NFA applications for no reason other than they are leftist fools, like mine (Art Acevedo). Of course nobody thinks an AG should override a failed background check.

It is the issue. Therefore the chain of command argument doesn't hold water. While Ole Cowboy and I are agreeable terms, I don't agree with his use of the example. It assumes all refusals are on the basis of a legal disqualification. And many NFA applicants can attest to, that simply is not the case.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It was not a comparison, rather it was an example of a chain of command. In fact it was biglucky who said the State AG was the CLEO for the state of Tex, that being said we clearly have a de facto relationship like a chain of command.

Just wonder, in your 13000 posts do you ever make a positive contribution, if so I have yet to see it on here...

Here is a recent post with a positive contribution, you would find many more if you bothered to read. Unlike some, I don't post on topics and give bad advice when I don't have any experience on the subject.

I had a Neos that I really liked except that the grip felt a little small and the safety dug in to my hand.

Good points: inexpensive, reliable, very easy to do a home trigger job, full rail if you want to add an optic, easy field strip, no malfunctions running dirty(1000+rounds without cleaning or oil)

Bad: I didn't care for the factory sights(front post seemed too wide), safety, small grip for me.

I did fix the safety issue by removing part of the left side with a die grinder and polishing. Looked good and easy.

Now I have a Ruger 22/45 MKIII

Good: it should last forever, accurate, comes with removable rail for optics, normal Ruger good stuff

Bad: it seems WWB HP will have a feedi g problem from time to time, grip is a little slim for my taste, stupid mag disconnect prevents mags from dropping free (can be removed relatively cheap), PITA field strip

Favorite of all time was a slab side 22/45 MKII

Grip was wider, closer to full size gun, ate everything with out a hiccup, accurate, good sights, I would trade my mark 3 for another mark2 in a heartbeat. Same PITA takedown though.

My next one will probably be an M&P 22.

As to your comparison, Greg Abbot in not to county sheriff as Battalion commander is to company commander.

If you insist on the comparison;if your company commander insists on something that you know is wrong, is it not your duty to go to the next in line in your chain of command?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

For the record, from what I know of the issue, I agree with you. The problem is with the NFA process itself, which is controlled pretty much at the federal level and I don't know of much a state AG or governor could do even if he wanted to. And for the record, even if Abbott could legally override meritless denials and chose not to, it's such a minor subset of the gun world that I wouldn't withdraw my support over this one little thing. I'm just curious to know exactly what you discussed with Abott's campaign and exactly what they concurred with. I don't understand why that's such a hard question for you to answer.

Note to self - get an NFA trust set up while I still can.
    I sent their office an exact copy of what I wrote in post 81. They called me on the fone. I told them I wanted to get an understanding of where they stand and how they view it. As they said, "you nailed it, thanks"

It is the issue. Therefore the chain of command argument doesn't hold water. While Ole Cowboy and I are agreeable terms, I don't agree with his use of the example. It assumes all refusals are on the basis of a legal disqualification. And many NFA applicants can attest to, that simply is not the case.
    I pick that as an example as we can ALL understand that as a chain of command. I never said it was formal between the state and cty, but rather de facto, granted military chain of command is not de facto. But had I said like the chain of command at Piggly Wiggly, not sure anyone would have understood at all. I did make the assumption that refusals are on the basis of a background check, but I have nothing else to go in this thread other than that and no one stated otherwise, but I did say: "f you CLEO says no I will not even consider it, then your issue is with the CLEO, NOT the state AG".

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Here is a recent post with a positive contribution, you would find many more if you bothered to read. Unlike some, I don't post on topics and give bad advice when I don't have any experience on the subject.

As to your comparison, Greg Abbot in not to county sheriff as Battalion commander is to company commander.

If you insist on the comparison;if your company commander insists on something that you know is wrong, is it not your duty to go to the next in line in your chain of command?

One of the things I have noticed is you either have a lot of difficulty with reading comprehension or honesty, but having dialogued with you in the past, I would call it an honesty issue.

I did not give bad advice, Gregg Abbott agrees with me and thats enough, you don't even count...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    One of the things I have noticed is you either have a lot of difficulty with reading comprehension or honesty, but having dialogued with you in the past, I would call it an honesty issue.

I did not give bad advice, Gregg Abbott agrees with me and thats enough, you don't even count...

Lol, I have trouble seeing how you could question my honesty. Please give an example of anything I have posted that was dishonest.

I never said you give bad advice, I don't think you have given any advise on this forum.

And I vote, so I count;)

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Hey fellas. I know I'm guilty of some trash talk on productive threads, and forgive me, for my intentions are not to but in, but please take it to PM. I'd like to see this thread continue in a productive direction with discussion about the topic and more donations toward Abbott. God bless you both. Thanks.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Interesting thread creep. I do think the discussion of Greg Abbott's stance on NFA and CLEO signoffs is worthy and relevant (while the devolution into ad hominem and self-justification by some forum members is worthless and sadly predictable).

Greg Abbott is a gun rights advocate and is the clear choice for governor in my mind (and not just due to that single issue). If concern over the CLEO signoff override is a factor in casting a ballot for some, then it should be discussed.

I'm not a fan of my local sherrif's policy on not facilitating the CLEO signoff. However, I agree with Ole Cowboy in that the AG doesn't need to get involved here....yet. There is a legislative process that can be utilized.

Currently, CLEOs can legally exercise their discretion on providing the signoff...and sadly many now use this discretion in a manner for which it was not intended and to act opposite to the intent of our US Constitution's 2nd Amendment.

If we as Texans decide we want to have legislation introduced to keep our county sherrifs from misusing their power and infringing upon our rights, then we have a process for doing that. The end result of this would be far more powerful and liberty-sustaining than simply lobbying the AG/new-gov to "tell his subordinates what to do."

Happy New Year to all my TGT friends!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom