• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    In Texas, they expanded the Castle Laws to include a person's vehicle and workplace as extensions of their home in regards to self defense. So indirectly, yes, the Castle Laws do have something to do with a firearm in your vehicle.

Castle Law is about self defense, not where you can legally carry/store a firearm.
    Military Camp

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Texas is right to work state. If your boss comes to work in bad mood and decides he doesn't like you that day and fires you, well, you're fired.

Many times, if you read the employee handbooks, company policies are there to give a company a legitimate cause and reason to fire people. Many times, a violation of a company policy states, "...up to and including, termination of employment, for violation of this rule or policy."

So if they did discover you had a firearm locked inside your vehicle, would you get fired? All depends on too many variables. But short answer is, yes they can.

For many years, I operated under the principle of doing what I did and keeping my mouth shut. IOW's, I was the only person that knew I carried weapons in my locked vehicle. I have never not carried weapons in my vehicles except in very certain situations.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If it is in your vehicle then make sure the firearm is in a locked case or similar device not just inside the glove box. As a land owner myself even if I post I can't search vehicles from what I've been told. Getting out of the vehicle with it is another story or having it out the window. If you were in a company vehicle wouldn't be allowed due to company rules.
    the Searches are voluntary. Fail to consent, you are fired

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was under the impression that Castle Doctrine was what allowed non licensed folk to carry in their cars as long as the gun was out of sight?

That said, OP needs to read whatever he signed when he went to work for his company. Especially if its an O&G company. If the company bans it, then you have to comply or risk losing your job.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Wtf they search your personally owned vehicle? Where the hell is this oil rig? Moscow?

Many companies have conditions of employment of searching your personal vehicle for contraband or such, in their company policies. Refusing the consent is grounds for them to terminate you if they choose to.

It's bullshit, but legal.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    And exactly what other reason would the vast majority of people carrying a firearm in their vehicle be carrying for in the first place?

Self defense. DUH!
    You need to follow the George Constanza policy of doing the opposite of what think is correct.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Wtf they search your personally owned vehicle? Where the hell is this oil rig? Moscow?

Very common practice, and you generally have to sign a document approving said searches. Most do it to check for theft, especially in certain industries. I did work at a defense contractor for several years, and they took the exit searches pretty serious.

Ever heard the song by Johnny Cash?

Last edited:

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Their rules! You work for them you play by them. If I were the company I would make sure no one has a firearm as for company liability and a pissed off land owner! I would be 1 of those POd land owners, so I understand why they would have those/that rule! I might not be able to search, but if I see 1 they will never come back on my property if I didn't give permission!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Very common practice, and you generally have to sign a document approving said searches. Most do it to check for theft, especially in certain industries. Ever heard the song by Johnny Cash?

Exactly. Car dealer near me has that policy. Just about every employee parks on the public street instead of dealer lot.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Many companies have conditions of employment of searching your personal vehicle for contraband or such, in their company policies. Refusing the consent is grounds for them to terminate you if they choose to.

It's bullshit, but legal.
    Very common practice, and you generally have to sign a document approving said searches. Most do it to check for theft, especially in certain industries. I did work at a defense contractor for several years, and they took the exit searches pretty serious.

Ever heard the song by Johnny Cash?

Ah I am a remote worker and thisdoesnt happen in my field as far as I know so it sounds insane to me

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Texas is right to work state. If your boss comes to work in bad mood and decides he doesn't like you that day and fires you, well, you're fired.
    My experience with right to work hasn't worked that way in the real world. HR told me I couldn't fire a couple people even though they were still in the orientation/ probationary period. Policy said I could. HR said there was precedent to the contrary. In my experience it has to be pretty egregious for one to actually get fired.

Kinda like shall not be infringed. Real world is a little different.

Top Bottom