Gun Oil

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Texas1911, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So what is everyone's preferred lube?

I'm using Hoppe's at the moment, but I have used Gun Butter before as well. With the Hoppe's it's a bit easy to go overboard with their bottle.

2. David

David Member

Feb 29, 2008
    North Texas
    I love my Break Free CLP

3. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I started using Hoppes because that's what my grandfather used and seemed to like. I have used a slew of others, including different CLP products. What I use now is Pro-Tech or FP-10 oil for the actions of all firearms except my Swiss rifle. It hates oil and feels less awesome when I use it. For that rifle I use grease and it is smooth as silk. I have Rem-oil for all bores, mostly because it is easy to apply to a patch.

4. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I've tried a number of different oils/lubes over the last 50 years or so and have settled on what works for me:
    Solvent: Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner
    Lube: Weapon Shield or FP-10 or Wilson's Lube
    Protection: RustPrufe
    Rods: Dewey
    Brushes: correct sized brass brushes for each caliber barrel and oversize brass brush for the chamber.

Comments:
    RemOil: very light and worked well in S&W revolvers but too light for my preference in 1911 pistols.
    GunSlick: worked ok in hot weather but dried/hardened in cold weather to a solid lump and lost lubricating capability.
    Molybdenum Disulfide (dry, graphite cousin): works OK for reloading presses but have not tried it on my guns. Prefer liquid lubes for them.
    Motor Oils: some people swear by them for lubing pistols but my guns cost a lot of money and I prefer to use something specifically marketed for use on them. Cost for the quantities of lube I use is not prohibitive.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

5. ambidextrous1

ambidextrous1 Member

I started using FP10 about 8 years ago, and would still, except for the introduction of Weapon Shield, which I've used for about three months now. :banger:

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    FP-10 seems like a winner, what makes it better than other alternatives in your opinion?

7. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's slimy, so it sticks around for a long time. It's also very resistant to heat. I really like it in auto-loading rifles and pistols. The AR seems to like it the best.

8. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Alan,
    George Fennell (super nice guy) developed FP-10 several years ago. Now he has started another company and developed Weapon Shield. WS is supposed to be even better than FP-10. I use both and can't tell the difference. FP-10 is available at numerous stores. Weapon Shield is new but can be ordered from their website:
    http://www.steelshieldtech.com/

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

ps: If you want a learned discourse on why FP-10 and Weapon Shield are superior products, call or e-mail George. He is an expert in the field of lubricants.

9. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm going to try the Blue Wonder lube. I really like their solvent. I cleaned my shotgun with Hoppes till I thought it was clean, then went back in with Blue Wonder and it still picked up quite a bit of lead and powder residue. So far, that stuff has been great and it's not as messy as Hoppes.

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Cool, I'll order some and check it out.