• mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I bought mine used ... from New and Used Safes AC Safes
    They sell new, but also nice used ones as well.
    I think they have similar stores in Houston ....

Mine is a 52Wx28Dx60T Redhead from Bass Pro Shops.
    1400* @ 90 minutes
    The combo was locked inside.

They cut the bottom out, crawled in, disassembled the door to open ... then welded up the bottom.

Got it for less than 1/2 retail.

It was delivered and they unloaded it out the end of a pickup onto golf balls. Once on the golf balls, one guy pushed it into place while the other shuffled the balls from the back to the front ... wow, out of context, that didn't sound right ... no damage to carpet or tile.

Something to consider.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    gotcha.. The one for $999 at academy holds more guns, has more space, and weights 700lbs, so it's almost twice the weight. Thanks for finding that though, never hurts to compare...

yeah i question the weight on it...seems kind of on the light side.
    I should have bought the signature series at cabelas last week ons ale for 1400 but they couldnt find the delivery info sheet to tell me what fortune it would cost and the website price is over 2k including to the curb delivery

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    The only thing I'd say about Canon is do a bit of research first. Seems they have about as bad a customer service rep as one can get. Fort Knox can be had for not much more money and a better reputation.
    Just food for thought.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    The only thing I'd say about Canon is do a bit of research first. Seems they have about as bad a customer service rep as one can get. Fort Knox can be had for not much more money and a better reputation.
    Just food for thought.

the bighorn costco has last month seemed better, didnt buy it when i found out they had a canon coming
    I'll look into their customer service, hadnt really checked before...assumed it was good given the popularity of their safes

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    I bought a winchester from costco a few years ago that is about the same size at the safari above. I was walking through costco last week and they had a bigger version of the winchester safe (about the same size as the cannon above) for about $600-700 if I remember correctly. What costco has online and in store can differ, so if you have free time I recommend running over there and taking a look.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I bought a winchester from costco a few years ago that is about the same size at the safari above. I was walking through costco last week and they had a bigger version of the winchester safe (about the same size as the cannon above) for about $600-700 if I remember correctly. What costco has online and in store can differ, so if you have free time I recommend running over there and taking a look.

Good call, didn't think about it like that...I'm a SAMs club member, but if the deal was right I would join..

twogunns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Dallas
    The Safe Company in garland is running some sales.good guys and they are at most area gun shows.agunsafe.com

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    Which every one you choose I suggest putting it somewhere in your house that it'll be hard for anyone to ever take out and bolt it down to the floor. The thought is a gun safe isn't something that is moveable it becomes a permanent fixture of your house and thus harder for anyone to steal or break in. Beyond that getting some pistols racks inside really helps with the organization especially if you have a lot of pistols.

TX0303

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    CenTex
    Any of the 12ga metal, made-in-China safes mentioned, including Steelwater, will be just as easy to break in to as what FireBerry showed. 12ga is 12ga, no matter who makes it or what they charge, its going to bend pretty easily. If the bolts aren't supported, they will fail as seen in the picture. If you have good insurance that may not matter. If you have guns you can't replace you need better quality. I'm saving up for one from Sturdy Safe. 5/16" plate on the door and 5ga on the body.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Any of the 12ga metal, made-in-China safes mentioned, including Steelwater, will be just as easy to break in to as what FireBerry showed. 12ga is 12ga, no matter who makes it or what they charge, its going to bend pretty easily. If the bolts aren't supported, they will fail as seen in the picture. If you have good insurance that may not matter. If you have guns you can't replace you need better quality. I'm saving up for one from Sturdy Safe. 5/16" plate on the door and 5ga on the body.

12gauge sheetmetal doesn't bend "easily" and for the record, 5 gauge sides wouldn't last much longer than the 12 gauge sides to one that knows sheetmetal. Virtually all "safes" on the market are really just to keep smash and grabs honest. Anybody with more than 10 minutes is going to get into a safe that cost less than $10k with the proper tools.

Top Bottom