• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    My safe is in the garage right now because there was no good place in our small house for it. Descant didn't work for more than a day. I ended up getting a dehumidifier and keep the 2 car garage at 50% humidity. It also makes being in the garage a lot more comfortable. The washer and dryer are there and my reloading table is there too.

I think the dehumidifier is the best way to go if doable and practical enough.

dt300mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Austin
    Somebody was full of da brown stuff. I've got a fireproofed safe that's been holding guns for 14 years now. Funny - no rust. Another one that's been here for 8 years - same story. The one at the shop - same story. Now, you put 'em in there on a humid day without a goldenrod or some other dehumidification system....all bets are off.
    Sorry, the rust was found after the fire the safe was exposed to. The rapid evaporation of the moisture from the heat did it

tenex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    D/FW
    The advice about buying a safe that's bigger than what you need is correct. Most of the manufacturers capacity ratings are optimistic at best. Black rifles and optics will greatly reduce the stated capacity. Also, consider removing the factory racks and using Rifle Rods. They're kind of expensive for what they are, but they increased the capacity of my safe by about 40%.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom