• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmg88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Austin
    What do you all think about the safety mechanism in general? My dad didn't believe in them when it came to defending one's self. Now I have 2 guns without a safety. Well, one has no safety at all, while the other has a handgrip and trigger safety, which, to me don't really seem like a safety. I'm referring to an AMT Backup 45 and a XDs 45. Do you agree or disagree with my dad's opinion?
    Hurley's Gold

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I used to like my XD because it had “something” for a safety but not something to flip off. Now I carry a Glock and prefer as little as possible to prevent me from discharging my weapon when needed.

Used a M9 in the Marines with external safety, don’t care for it.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    stare-finger.gif

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A safety is a crutch. It tends to make you "assume" that the gun can't go off. Trigger discipline is that key to safe gun handling. I grew up shooting old guns that either had no safety, or it didn't work reliably. Dad drilled safe gun handling into my head from the word "Go". Now that I think about it, I think he did it on purpose, to make me always aware of where my muzzle was pointed, and where my finger was.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What do you all think about the safety mechanism in general? My dad didn't believe in them when it came to defending one's self. Now I have 2 guns without a safety. Well, one has no safety at all, while the other has a handgrip and trigger safety, which, to me don't really seem like a safety. I'm referring to an AMT Backup 45 and a XDs 45. Do you agree or disagree with my dad's opinion?
    I think there is a design feature on the AMT Backup 45 that acts as a safety without calling it such - that would be the 17 pound double action only trigger pull. You'd be hard pressed (no pun intended) to accidentally fire a round with that amount of force required.

The Back Up counts entirely on its hefty trigger pull to prevent accidental discharges.There are no manual, passive firing pin or magazine safeties. (source, the link opens a PDF file)

Last edited:

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    A great and pertinent question. I will always prefer more safety in my handguns and my wife does as well. As a Marine in 'Nam unfortunately I witnessed two terrible accidents with a .45 by others. They carried 24/7 and even though trained and experienced, accidents happened. The worst one was during monsoon season late one night and the pouring rain made it difficult for even an emergency Medevac. Knee was blown apart. Some sounds and screams you never forget. Anyway, I swore for many years that I'd never ever have a handgun and damn sure not a .45. However, I eased up a tad a few years ago, began studying and got a S&W EZ Shield 9mm and insisted on safety features. It has a thumb lever safety along with a loaded chamber indicator on top plus grip safety to boot. I realize most handguns don't have all that but at least a thumb lever is a must for me and I verify it works at the range. My wife has a Taurus TX 22 with a thumb safety lever as well. It takes only a fraction of a second to thumb the safety before firing which we do often between mags. Practice is very key. Good luck. Here is my 9mm with all its safety features.

Attachments

• S&W 9mm.png
      S&W 9mm.png
      151.6 KB · Views: 59

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Underrated post.
    I was specifically thinking about Glocks and other modern semi-autos of the striker fire type when I wrote that. Then the previous post made me think I needed to differentiate between those and double action types... hence the edit...

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I was specifically thinking about Glocks and other modern semi-autos of the striker fire type when I wrote that. Then the previous post made me think I needed to differentiate between those and double action types... hence the edit...
    You didn’t need an edit. Holster effect training also. Holster, clothing, getting used to it, mechanics of draw.

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    You didn’t need an edit. Holster effect training also. Holster, clothing, getting used to it, mechanics of draw.
    There are guns I would carry without a holster and guns I would not... Basically, until Glocks and all those types that followed, handguns could be carried safely without a holster.

I would never carry a Glock or other striker fired pistol without a holster or, at minimum, a trigger cover.

I've grown used to the idea that, besides my brain and trigger discipline, the only safety my P365 really has is the holster that covers it's trigger...

Top Bottom