• ...and so much more!
  • Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Thanks for chiming in, the thread was seeming a little one-sided

Were you asking hoping you would get the answers you wanted?

Personally I see no need for a thumb safety or other feel good safety like a grip safety on the XD/M&P pistol posted. Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire it. Use a good holster and the point is further moot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    DK Firearms

Reactions: gll

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Personal preference learned over time and experience.............

I will never berate or belittle those who choose wisely.........

and no.....I can't shoot a Glock worth a damn............and it's not the guns fault............

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    There's going to be downsides to a trigger, SAO, DAO, DA/SA, LEM, DAK all give you something the others won't, and all come with quirks.

As someone who shoots nearly exclusively DA/SA, there is no difference between my DA and SA shots, if the DA shot and the transition is a problem, that means the shooter needs to do some practice, just like someone who can't shoot anything other than a 1911 well, or constantly shoots Glocks low and left.
    In my search for the perfect trigger, it wouldn't be a DA of any kind...

My favorite triggers are all SA, whether on an SA revolver, the SA of a DA revolver, the SA of a DA/SA auto, or the SA of an SA auto.

The negative of all of those is their safeties, whether it be the necessity of cocking, suffering through a DA pull, or having to decock to get to that fine SA...

I want a pistol that I can grip and fire without any other manipulation, and that gives me a sweet, crisp, SA pull. That isn't a Glock or any other striker fired pistol I've ever handled, as a crisp SA really wants a hammer, I think. It isn't quite a 1911 cocked and unlocked either, though that comes close, but a gun shouldn't be able to fire just because you grip it; it should only fire when you pull the trigger (better, it would only fire when MY finger pulled the trigger, but I don't know how you make a gun smart without electronics, and a gun dependent on electronics can't be smart).

The pistol I would pick as the safest would be a hammer fired SA with a trigger safety of some sort, and with trigger discipline, a good retention holster, and my brain as the other safeties.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Agreed on only having a decocker.

However, if the transition from DA to SA is a problem, you need to practice more. The transition is not hard to master, it is simply applying fundamentals
    I agree. The difficulty of transitioning from da to sa is very easy and overstated. It's especially easy with a good trigger.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    In my search for the perfect trigger, it wouldn't be a DA of any kind...

My favorite triggers are all SA, whether on an SA revolver, the SA of a DA revolver, the SA of a DA/SA auto, or the SA of an SA auto.

The negative of all of those is their safeties, whether it be the necessity of cocking, suffering through a DA pull, or having to decock to get to that fine SA...

I want a pistol that I can grip and fire without any other manipulation, and that gives me a sweet, crisp, SA pull. That isn't a Glock or any other striker fired pistol I've ever handled, as a crisp SA really wants a hammer, I think. It isn't quite a 1911 cocked and unlocked either, though that comes close, but a gun shouldn't be able to fire just because you grip it; it should only fire when you pull the trigger (better, it would only fire when MY finger pulled the trigger, but I don't know how you make a gun smart without electronics, and a gun dependent on electronics can't be smart).

The pistol I would pick as the safest would be a hammer fired SA with a trigger safety of some sort, and with trigger discipline, a good retention holster, and my brain as the other safeties.
    DA/SA is not a target trigger, it's first use was on a little .25acp pocket gun and then on to the Walther PP series, which would morph into the P38, then the Beretta 92

The DA pull is not something the slog through unless it is gritty or overly heavy. A good DA pull is probably the most conducive trigger for accuracy, look at what the PPC guys are shooting

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What do you all think about the safety mechanism in general?
    Don't think about it much at all other than practicing with it. If a gun has a manual safety, practice using it. I don't really think the type of safeties matter as much as learning how to use the firearm overall.

A holster that protects the control surfaces (trigger, mag release, saftey, etc...) is important, too.

I've carried guns in the past with passive safeties and would do so again. Current favorite carry gun has a manual safety, however.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It sucks because there is a transition
    I've never really understood the transition criticism. Do you completely release a trigger between follow up shots? If you're riding the reset you're not going to notice the transition. Also if you're just snatching the trigger under stress I doubt you'd notice the difference between a 12lb and 5lb trigger.

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I used to like my XD because it had “something” for a safety but not something to flip off. Now I carry a Glock and prefer as little as possible to prevent me from discharging my weapon when needed.

Used a M9 in the Marines with external safety, don’t care for it.
    If you train with a safety switch, stick with it. For years Glocks we’re criticized for not having a safety, then it was the holster’s fault. Some kind of safety is necessary beyond your booger hook, does it need to be more than a trigger switch, not really.

There is no way I would carry my Series 70 Colt without a functioning safety. I also have carried the same Glock 23, almost religiously for over 20 years.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    There are guns I would not consider for carry - a P320 with stock trigger for instance. No trigger blade dongus like the Smith & Wesson, Glock, Walter, etc means its just too easy for a foreign object to pull the trigger on holstering. A P320 with the manual safety switch, or an after market trigger with the inclusion of the "safety" blade - sure.

I don't get the logic of people who tout AR style rifles for defensive use, but who poo poo manual safety switches on pistols, because every AR out there uses a safety. Its a training issue. Once you spend a bit of time practicing, it becomes instinct to flip the safety off on the draw making the gun ready to fire.

I will go either way. I like the M&P pistols with the safety - carrying appendix a safety switch is a nice extra measure so you don't send a round into your dick or femoral artery. That said - my current carry gun - a Walther PDP - hasa 4lb trigger and no manual safety option - just the blade in the trigger and the drop safety. I make sure to look at the holster and ensure its clear before I holster up. I also like the M&P safety because its a convenient thumb shelf that keeps my thumb away from the slide stop lever.

Revolvers by and large have no manual safety option.

Just comes down to what are YOU comfortable carrying, and what you are willing to practice with. Choice is a beautiful thing, right?

Top Bottom