• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldChap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2021
    Houston area
    A short lesson in radio:

Radio waves are electromagnetic radiation.

Radio waves are radio waves - how far they can travel is basically a function of frequency and obstacles. At a given frequency of radiation from an antenna, the power of the emission makes it easier to receive at a distance. The curvature of the earth determines how far the radio waves travel.

Modulation may be AM, FM, SSB, Digital, or a host of other modes, but modulation has nothing to do with how far the radio waves travel. It does have to do with how well the message being carried by the radio waves is understood by humans.

Consider a large granite mountain. A rifle fired at a target behind the mountain cannot reach the target. To accomplish the task takes a shot fired at a high angle, such that the projectile goes over the mountain then begins to fall from a great height and arrive at the target.

HF (low frequency) radio waves reflect off the ionosphere and can travel very long distances. They go very high over the mountain but are reflected off the ionosphere many miles above the surface of the earth.

VHF/UHF (high frequency) radio waves do not reflect but shoot straight out of the atmosphere - like the beam of a flashlight.

Hope I didn't bore you.
    ARJ Defense ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    In a disaster, a handheld scanner is a great tool. The ability to monitor dozens of channels in seconds cannot be accomplished with basic GMRS/HAM radios.

If you need to talk to someone, then switch to the HT.

In my AO, CB/GRMS are really only useful for comms between friends on previously decided channels at very close distances.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Get your antenna as high as possible is your best solution.
    AM broadcast bands (lower in frequency) travel farther. FM broadcast bands don’t travel as far.

For AM broadcast and SW (short wave), a long wire as high as possible should give you pretty good reception. Those may be your best options. Look for a battery operated SW, MW, LW, FM receiver. That will cover your broadcast bands and much if not all of the HF ham bands. That should give you coverage of sources of info you are looking for.
    OMG.

So I told my husband I finally found a receiver I like, an Eton, and that I was going to get it and he said: We have one.
    Me: What?
    Him: We already have one.
    Me: Where??
    Him: In one of those two boxes we haven't unpacked yet from Katy.
    Me: !!!!!!

It's the Eton Elite 750, AM/FM-stereo/Shortwave/Airwave with SSB. I've unpacked it, placed it where I want it, and now I'm inhaling the manual. :) :) :)

I'm anxious to see what all we can get with the internal antennas and go from there.
    A CB is still on the list...especially with more $$$ available now...but it's on hold. I like learning one thing at a time. :D

tgt262.jpg

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    A short lesson in radio:

Radio waves are electromagnetic radiation.

Radio waves are radio waves - how far they can travel is basically a function of frequency and obstacles. At a given frequency of radiation from an antenna, the power of the emission makes it easier to receive at a distance. The curvature of the earth determines how far the radio waves travel.

Modulation may be AM, FM, SSB, Digital, or a host of other modes, but modulation has nothing to do with how far the radio waves travel. It does have to do with how well the message being carried by the radio waves is understood by humans.

Consider a large granite mountain. A rifle fired at a target behind the mountain cannot reach the target. To accomplish the task takes a shot fired at a high angle, such that the projectile goes over the mountain then begins to fall from a great height and arrive at the target.

HF (low frequency) radio waves reflect off the ionosphere and can travel very long distances. They go very high over the mountain but are reflected off the ionosphere many miles above the surface of the earth.

VHF/UHF (high frequency) radio waves do not reflect but shoot straight out of the atmosphere - like the beam of a flashlight.

Hope I didn't bore you.

That is a good synopsis of basic propagation.
    I won’t even start on tropospheric ducting.

I will add that for HF frequencies, the state of the ionosphere determines what gets “reflected” back to the earth. The lower HF bands tend to do better at night whereas the the higher HF bands do better during the day but it varies some.

I’m not sure most on here are ready for that aspect of radio theory.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    OMG.

So I told my husband I finally found a receiver I like, an Eton, and that I was going to get it and he said: We have one.
    Me: What?
    Him: We already have one.
    Me: Where??
    Him: In one of those two boxes we haven't unpacked yet from Katy.
    Me: !!!!!!

It's the Eton Elite 750, AM/FM-stereo/Shortwave/Airwave with SSB. I've unpacked it, placed it where I want it, and now I'm inhaling the manual. :) :) :)

I'm anxious to see what all we can get with the internal antennas and go from there.
    A CB is still on the list...especially with more $$$ available now...but it's on hold. I like learning one thing at a time. :D

View attachment 411981

That's a nice radio ! It should work great for you.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Radio- Anytone 778UV

Antenna- Tram 1480

Wire- LMR 400

Around $200 for both and gives good distance with simplex and duplex. Run off a small gel cell battery with a chinium charger. What I run for local weather and emer/comms. Computer programmable makes it quick and relatively easy via data patch USB. 25w radio with 6.0 db gain antenna (higher up in the sky, the better), I get about 25-100 miles on simplex depending on conditions.

Last edited:

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I have neither, but if I had to choose I would elect CB radio.
    Lots of people have them in their vehicles, and they work on 12V.

A few years ago I did invest in hand crank emergency radio/flashlight/phone charger devices.
    One at home, and one in the RV. They provide weather information and EMS news bulletins.
    I got a CB not too long ago and went across several states on a trip.
    I expected to hear trucker chatter as in days gone by.
    Nope. I think I got folks chatting twice and neither were truckers.
    Tried many times to get a radio check and zip, zilch, nada.
    So now I have a pair of cheap ass Chinese Baofeng HTs that are pretty dang good for 2 meters plus has FRS.

Top Bottom