• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fosty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Austin
    So I'm trying to remember something from my LTC class about handguns in cars.

If I have my handgun loose in my car while I'm driving, say in a cup holder or something, does it have to be in a holster?

I do plan on getting some sort of seat mounted holster in the future but I can't afford it at the moment.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    If open, have it in a belt or shoulder holster, presumably attached to your person. Otherwise, not in plain view.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So I'm trying to remember something from my LTC class about handguns in cars.

If I have my handgun loose in my car while I'm driving, say in a cup holder or something, does it have to be in a holster?

I do plan on getting some sort of seat mounted holster in the future but I can't afford it at the moment.

Kar98 has it correct. In your vehicle it’s either not in plain view or on your person in a holster.

In plain view and not attached to your body in a holster is a not legal.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I thought that if in the car and cannot be viewed by a 'reasonable person' they could be visible to someone who pokes their head in the window. A cop might do that but a 'reasonable person' would not. As applied to this law a police officer would not be considered a reasonable person.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I thought that if in the car and cannot be viewed by a 'reasonable person' they could be visible to someone who pokes their head in the window. A cop might do that but a 'reasonable person' would not. As applied to this law a police officer would not be considered a reasonable person.

The reasonable person verbage applied to concealed guns.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When (if) I carry a handgun in the front seat, I also cover it with a towel, paper sack, etc. And I have, on occasion tied a piece of light weight string (read: easy to break) from the gun to the seat, door, etc. If I a severe wreck, I think it would be dangerous for it to be flying around the vehicle, but I could still grab it and use it (string would, should, better, break!). :green:

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    When (if) I carry a handgun in the front seat, I also cover it with a towel, paper sack, etc. And I have, on occasion tied a piece of light weight string (read: easy to break) from the gun to the seat, door, etc. If I a severe wreck, I think it would be dangerous for it to be flying around the vehicle, but I could still grab it and use it (string would, should, better, break!). :green:

If the string is easy to break, wouldn’t the force of a wreck and the mass of the gun break it anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Well from the discussion, it seems the legislature should go back this year and change the law. Either we have OC or we do not.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    An LEO may do things that non-LEO's would not do. Such as approaching your car and asking you to roll down the window. The term does not mean that officers are unreasonable people. A person with his head screwed on straight would not do some things a cop might do.

Top Bottom