• Total voters

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Just my opinion, of course.

In the movies, when someone gets shot they fly across the room. In the movies there are 15 guys making a "tactical hit" and annihilating anyone that looks threatening.

In the real world the bad guys are predators. Predators prey on the weak and infirm. NOT those that are "seemingly" strong and capable of defending themselves. There is a reason that the very large number of mass murders done in recent years have been in "gun free zones" and not at police stations or gun ranges!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    IMO, a licensed OC law would require a caveat like the no-motorcycle-helmet-if-you-have-insurance law. To make sure that the act of carrying isn't probable cause to do a license check.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    In an urban situation, I would not open carry unless it was some some western town where everyone OC'd. That said, I support OC, because I want the choice. I might OC while hunting, or working on a deer lease or similar situations.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I prefer to "carry however you damned well want."

When a National Government can compel a sovereign citizen of an Individual State to surrender his freedoms in matters of health care choices, gallons per flush, ethanol contaminated gasoline, prohibition of off-label use of myriad products -- we have descended into the dark pit of tyranny.

The pot is boiling, and most frogs around here are so drunk with government handouts they would rather choke on the government plantation than to smell the free air of personal responsibility.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I prefer to "carry however you damned well want."

When a National Government can compel a sovereign citizen of an Individual State to surrender his freedoms in matters of health care choices, gallons per flush, ethanol contaminated gasoline, prohibition of off-label use of myriad products -- we have descended into the dark pit of tyranny.

The pot is boiling, and most frogs around here are so drunk with government handouts they would rather choke on the government plantation than to smell the free air of personal responsibility.
    I voted for OC with a holster and certification. On this poll but I agree with you. I would change my vote if I knew how. I still think you need to carry in a holster. It's just easier

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Personally, I don't care what others think. All this poll was getting at was me being curious about how y'all living in a non-permissive state feel about open carry. nothing more. I know the laws in Texas, although I personally disagree with no OC, moving there and concealing is not a problem for me. Glock, thanks for the hotlink.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I voted for OC with a holster and certification. On this poll but I agree with you. I would change my vote if I knew how. I still think you need to carry in a holster. It's just easier

Salty, the holster requirement is a retention level thing. See the text for HB 700, they mention 2 types of security, ie a level 2 holster.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    As long as you're not muzzle sweeping anybody, you could carry in your hand for all I care. If you don't look proficient, my family and I will keep our distance. I agree that a holster makes carrying easier and safer, just like I agree that a seat belt makes driving a car safer — for me. It's none of my business how you're carrying.

My mom always said, "If Aaron would just worry about Aaron, Aaron would have his hands full." (I'm Aaron btw)

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    do people OC in public a lot?

Not really. I'm hard pressed to see it. Funny thing is that open carry has been that way for a long time, never regulated. Concealed carry is regulated but only costs about $40 and a few hours of class and this is only the 2nd year with open carry shall issue laws in WI.

Open or concealed you can carry many of the same places except within 1000 ft of school grounds.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Not really. I'm hard pressed to see it. Funny thing is that open carry has been that way for a long time, never regulated

That's pretty much what I expected. I would suspect that the majority who have been exposed to the advantages of concealed carry would be reluctant to open carry a handgun as a matter of course, but I certainly feel the option should be there for a law abiding citizen to exercise if they chose to do so.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the current CHL included open carry as an option. Doubtful if there is a group of people in Texas more statistically worthy of doing so.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    IMO, a licensed OC law would require a caveat like the no-motorcycle-helmet-if-you-have-insurance law. To make sure that the act of carrying isn't probable cause to do a license check.

You're confusing PC with RAS. Checking for a license does not fall under either category. If a cop asks to see your CHL he'd better have some other RAS/PC or not mind being told, "No."

In Texas he can unfortunately get around this by asking to see your DL whether he has PC/RAS or not. TX law requires you to show your CHL any time a cop asks to see your DL.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    The days of the wild west are long gone. The days where daddy taught his sons firearm safety and use are long gone. Urbanization, demographics, and mere population numbers dictate reasonable and prudent decisions and behaviors.

Pure OC will not happen in Texas. Licensed CHL having the option to OC will occur I believe with this caveat. Required basic course completion in firearm safety and utilization will be required for CHL and renewals, and would be retroactive to include all CHL who wish to open carry. The CHL will have an endorsement certifying completion of basic firearm safety completion noted on the license before one could OC.

Mark it down. You have heard it first.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom