• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    83(R) HB 3288 - Introduced version - Bill Text

Not sure how I feel about this legislation. On the one hand, it ensures that people are complying with the requirements of the law relating to substance abuse. On the other hand, it provides the state with another avenue for depriving us of our rights. No test is 100% reliable. However, the bill provides for a confirming retest after the first positive test, and allows you to have a public hearing to explain the situation. For example, if you take a prescription drug that shows up as a metabolite on a test, you can bring a note from your doctor. If you end up failing the test, you can re-apply for a license one year later. My other concern is how this test information is used... Will it be reported to NICS so that a person will get turned down due to substance abuse?

Not a horrible idea in theory, but it will end up screwing some people. Maybe just a handful, but some people will have their rights deprived due to this legislation. I imagine that there are people out there on some sort of prescription medication who do not realize that they will fail a drug test. These people will be put through the wringer due to this legislation.
    Gun Zone Deals

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    More stupid shit if you ask me. I hope it fails. It is a way to calculate how many CHL holders are on prescription medication also. Another way for the government to build a statistic. My opinion.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I'd say 'No' on this as well. Has there been an epidemic of droogies getting CHLs? Has there been an issue with doped up CHL holders getting into shootouts? A solution with no 'problem'. It will add cost to an already (IMO) overpriced process. Also, people in rural areas might find it difficult to find places to administer such tests. Besides, I think we're already forced to jump through far too many hoops to get 'permission' to exercise what is supposed to be an inalienable Constitutional right.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I tend to agree with you guys. Excellent point that it is a solution in search of a problem. I'm sure we would hear about drugged up CHL holders in the media if there was even one instance. Just another hurdle in the process.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Absolutely not.

If you did not read it, the are testing for all drugs, not jus illegal drugs. so when prescription meds turn up, the burden is on you to show you had a valid prescription, via a public hearing. So the public gets to hear what meds you are on.

And of course, guess who pays for the test.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    <tinfoilhat on> What if this was a way to determine who was on prescription drugs like anti-depressants, which would give way to a cross searchable database on gun owners and those types of drugs? </tinfoilhat off>

BTW those drugs are used for more than depression, mostly for smoking cessation.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I don't think carrying should require a permit, and this is way too far past that.
    Agreed, but we must deal with current reality.

And of course, guess who pays for the test.
    Understood, and I'm not really in favor of drug testing for welfare because that too would become a bloated government debacle. However drug testing for welfare long before CHL applicants.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    i'd say 'no' on this as well. Has there been an epidemic of droogies getting chls? Has there been an issue with doped up chl holders getting into shootouts? A solution with no 'problem'. It will add cost to an already (imo) overpriced process. Also, people in rural areas might find it difficult to find places to administer such tests. Besides, i think we're already forced to jump through far too many hoops to get 'permission' to exercise what is supposed to be an inalienable constitutional right.

"this !!!"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wouldn't help in that situation anyways cause if you are about to go carry you already have your CHL;)

Top Bottom