• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I hope I don't get blasted for this too .....but this is one of the most ridiculous of the stupid bills that are actually making it to hearings. People need to pay attention to the legislation their reps are sponsoring....some don't even understand what they're introducing.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    so what if i want to shoot some heron before i go carry? Leave me alone, drug test the welfare recipients first.

Heron?!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367263234.207799.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To be clear, shooting a heron IS illegal but I don't know how they would test you for it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I oppose nearly all drug testing outside attempts to diagnose illness.

Testing for jobs, testing at road checkpoints, testing for welfare recipients, testing for a chl, testing for anything, period. All drug testing is punishment (yes, being subjected to the process is a punishment) before guilt has been established. It may be justified in the course of an investigation once other factors create a reasonable suspicion but asking for public aid, asking to legally carry a concealed weapon, or asking for a job does not create a reasonable suspicion that the person asking has done anything wrong.

I believe society should default to assuming innocence. I can remember when we did, when no one got drug-tested unless they had almost indisputably done something wrong. Things seemed to work a bit better back then.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Introduced by a democrat out of Dallas. Who would of guessed? Its going nowhere fast I see.

Yes, tit for tat, clearly aimed at those advocating the drug testing for welfare...........

I would vote no......

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yet they refuse to see that my tax dollars are paying for their welfare while they do not have to pay the fees associated with my CHL.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    While passing a drug test is a no brainer for me, I do feel it is bull$^!t to test for a CHL. Those who carry on the majority are people who are more aware of their sorroundings (spelling?) and our own welfare therefore any altering of the mind or ability to interpret danger and/or threats is avoided on a personal level. This renders the need to test us nil. They are once again just trying to back door more legislature on us. I am strongly against any and all legislature regarding firearms that is not pro gun.
    On the sidebar that has grown in this thread about drug testing welfare I say test them all!!!!!! I will try to find the article I read a short time ago about states adopting drug testing for foodstamps saving millions a month due to revoked benefits for test failure.
    Just my $.02 take it or leave it and I will try to post a link to above stated article.

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    Pointless. CHL holders are some of the most law abiding people out there and this proposal is no better that AWB's, mag bans, and "universal" background checks.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    83(R) HB 3288 - Introduced version - Bill Text

Not sure how I feel about this legislation. On the one hand, it ensures that people are complying with the requirements of the law relating to substance abuse. On the other hand, it provides the state with another avenue for depriving us of our rights. No test is 100% reliable. However, the bill provides for a confirming retest after the first positive test, and allows you to have a public hearing to explain the situation. For example, if you take a prescription drug that shows up as a metabolite on a test, you can bring a note from your doctor. If you end up failing the test, you can re-apply for a license one year later. My other concern is how this test information is used... Will it be reported to NICS so that a person will get turned down due to substance abuse?

Not a horrible idea in theory, but it will end up screwing some people. Maybe just a handful, but some people will have their rights deprived due to this legislation. I imagine that there are people out there on some sort of prescription medication who do not realize that they will fail a drug test. These people will be put through the wringer due to this legislation.

Interesting. When I worked for the state we drug tested a lot of people. Some would complain about "false positives" but when you got down to it, they were doing the meth, abusing the pain killers or taking other meds like zanax w/o a prescription as the tests results indicated. Now that was for child abuse suspects. Before they start test gun carry permit holders, why not start with welfare recipients? IF one knew they were going to take a scheduled drug test, they will not use before the test. The only true drug test IMO would be a hair follicle that goes back 90 days. Now we are getting into some big brother IMO. People will bleach their hair and die it to try and alter those test results.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Meh ... most industry requires initial and random tests and like Joker said ...

Some would complain about "false positives" but when you got down to it, they were doing the meth, abusing the pain killers or taking other meds like zanax w/o a prescription as the tests results indicated.

CHL is a privilege and comes with baggage. I would prefer License holder to be above ANY suspicion.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The fact of the matter is the idea of drug testing CHL holders is yet another do-nothing feel-good measure. All anti-gun nuts intend to do, is inject hurdles into the process of obtaining legal access to guns. They're afraid, and feel compelled to do "something" to ease their anxiety. Misguided, obviously. An easy question to ask them - how many CHL holders have been convicted of gun crimes?

I like the idea of drug testing before granting (or continuing) any gov't assistance though. It's disingenuous to financially support someone who is purposely and willfully putting roadblocks on their path to independence. The bleeding hearts are quick to cry about how they'll be "forced" to turn to crime to feed their addiction, like that's a justified defense to merely throwing money at the problem and pretending "we did a good thing."

Top Bottom