• ...and so much more!
  • steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    Like CHL drug testing?

That's sorta the point I was attempting to make. A piss test is such a minute and non-intrusive issue that raises the dander of so many.
    I don't get it ...

I drive airplanes for a living, I have done many drug and alcohol tests. The thing that I see getting tricky is that with any safety sensitive job, refusal to submit is an automatic failure. So if my company calls me at 1600 and says be at quest diagnostics before they close at 1700, and I don't make it because of traffic, that is an automatic failure, which will go on my permanent record. Also not having our company issued drug packet with us is an automatic failure.

So to say it's no big deal, would be crazy. What if I'm out of state, and I get picked for a random drug test for my chl that has to be done at a specific location. I then lose my rights to carry, and possibly my job for failing a random drug test.

This proposed law is unnecessary for many reasons, but especially because its trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Therefor there is no reason to give into these liberal feel good measures that will make us have to tear through more red tape to exercise our rights. This will cost us more money, and open the door for more govt oversight into our private lives.
    Target Sports

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I drive airplanes for a living, I have done many drug and alcohol tests. The thing that I see getting tricky is that with any safety sensitive job, refusal to submit is an automatic failure. So if my company calls me at 1600 and says be at quest diagnostics before they close at 1700, and I don't make it because of traffic, that is an automatic failure, which will go on my permanent record. Also not having our company issued drug packet with us is an automatic failure.

So to say it's no big deal, would be crazy. What if I'm out of state, and I get picked for a random drug test for my chl that has to be done at a specific location. I then lose my rights to carry, and possibly my job for failing a random drug test.

This proposed law is unnecessary for many reasons, but especially because its trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Therefor there is no reason to give into these liberal feel good measures that will make us have to tear through more red tape to exercise our rights. This will cost us more money, and open the door for more govt oversight into our private lives.

Thank you Steve.

it took thought and effort to formulate that response. The first to make sense.

I'm part of critical staff at a homeland security protected facility and random test are a part of everyday life. but I'm captured at a single facility and hadn't fully considered logistics.

thanks for the helpful insight

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    Unless I'm unconscious and in dire need of medical services, no one has the right to take my blood, test my body fluids, etc.

Actually, sir, I don't have the right to draw bodily fluids (or provide any other medical care) even when you're unconscious. Medical treatment for folks who are unable to give informed consent is done under the doctrine of implied consent, which holds that a reasonable person would request and consent to necessary treatment under the circumstances.

However, I agree with the rest of your statement.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    ^^but since there is already a standard of drug testing for safety sensitive jobs, I think the testing for chl would probably follow the same standards or procedures.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Actually, sir, I don't have the right to draw bodily fluids (or provide any other medical care) even when you're unconscious. Medical treatment for folks who are unable to give informed consent is done under the doctrine of implied consent, which holds that a reasonable person would request and consent to necessary treatment under the circumstances.

However, I agree with the rest of your statement.

Correct but ............. see signature line #1 :D

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    You fellers are still kibitzing about this?

a "right", from my POV, doesn't cost me anything except my life defending it.

Is a right as is outlined in the contitution subject to regulation as with applications, fees, renewals, background checks, etc.?

Or is a right something I am entitled to just because I am a citizen in good standing?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yes to the second part, no to the first(IMO)

Which is why I can buy a gun from someone on this forum without signing anything.

The CHL, I believe, is an infringement. Having a right already being infringed upon does not mean we should allow further infringement.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My headscratching is all about this infringement that you speak of. Not arguing one way or the other ...

Without doing a ton research myself, can someone tell me when it became illegal to carry a firearm and why? I've read anything from post-civil war to curb pro-slavery mobs to the 30s to thwart gangster activity.

And it is state-by-state and nothing federal, correct?

At any rate, why and how has this "gross" infringement maintained itself for 150 years?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Because they only take a little bit so nobody really makes a big fight over it. Then when everyone gets used to it they take a little more, rinse, lather, repeat.

Top Bottom