Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas

Richard B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    I just heard here at the college that open carry just got passed but it has to be with a stage two holster. Has anyone else heard this?

The Campus Carry Bill with which I am familiar does not include an open carry provision. It seeks to all CHL holders to carry on campus. Open carry is another matter entirely.

The Campus Carry Bill, HB 972, was passed out of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee. It should be in the Calendars Committee and, if it makes it out of there, it would then go to the House floor. If the House passes it, the next stop is a committee in the Senate where the process begins all over again.

I believe May 27th is the last day of this legislative session so you can see that there is not much time left. There is a distinct possibility that this an a number of other bills may simply run out of time.

As I understand it, the bill, as amended allows the colleges & universities to opt out so there is a distinct probability that the impact of the bill, if enacted into law, will be minimal. I do not know whether there will be an attempt to amend to bill either in Calendars or on the floor to change this situation.

You may want to contact the bill's author, Rep. Allen Fletcher, to see just what the status may be.

Richard B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    There is a guy on Picketts facebook page throwing insults his way. Nothing will get done this way. I understand and I share his frustration, but there is no need to act in this manner. Its not bowing down to Pickett like this guy says it is. Its simply respecting the office in which he holds.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Click on the name/photo of each of the committee members for their contact information. The chairman is the one who sets the agenda (schedule) though.

Texas House of Representatives Calendars Committee

I would still recommend contacting the bill's author, Rep. Allen Fletcher, to see what the status is first.

What do you mean by "see what the status is"? I'm not all too familiar with the legislative processes, but if it passed this, shouldn't it be at the calendars committee already? Just curious.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    What do you mean by "see what the status is"? I'm not all too familiar with the legislative processes, but if it passed this, shouldn't it be at the calendars committee already? Just curious.
    Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) History for HB 972
    ^That link will tell you what the status of HB972 is.

Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) Bill Stages for HB 972
    ^That link will tell you the stages of the bill until it becomes a law.

It looks like Fletcher | Flynn | Lavender | Burkett | Bell are the Authors of the bill. Meaning, they introduced it.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I did see just a very few "RUDE" comments. (If thats what you would call them) Telling him he needs do send it to the floor. Someone asked him to remove his comment so Pickett wouldnt have a bad taste in his mouth about all gun owners. He refused saying hes not giving up his 1stA.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    The overwhelming majority of the comments were positive. There were a few comments from frustrated type people who commented on needing to vote him out. I am willing to bet he took it down as a way to ignore it and has no intention of moving it forward. Wouldn't surprise me if Joe Strauss didn't make a deal with him to keep it stalled in committee again.

Top Bottom