• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    "Open carry" is the ability for citizens to carry firearms openly w/o licensing, but not concealed. Many states allow open carry, but require a license for concealed carry.

No. That's unlicensed open carry. What we're looking at getting is licensed open carry.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    "Open carry" is the ability for citizens to carry firearms openly w/o licensing, but not concealed. Many states allow open carry, but require a license for concealed carry.

No. That's unlicensed open carry. What we're looking at getting is licensed open carry.
    You conveniently forgot to include the rest of what I said.

Allow me:

If it requires a license, it's not "open".

"Open" means "without restriction".

The term "unlicensed open carry" is like saying "wet water".

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Allow me:

No. Open carry means the opposite of concealed carry. It means to carry the weapon openly, without concealing it. There are other states with licensed open carry if you care to look into it.

Besides, what would you call the opposite of concealed if not "open"?

I didn't include the rest of what you said because it was no less incorrect than what I did quote.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Allow me:

That may be your personal defintion, but it differs from the commonly accepted defintion. The "open" in "open carry" refers to the "openness" with which the handgun is displayed, ie the handgun is openly exposed. The "open" qualifier does not mean that the method of carry is available to all citizens. This is not a golf tournament.

For example, uniformed Police Officers practice open carry and they are most certainly licensed.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Semantics aside, until it's sans license, it will not be "open carry", but "licensed open carry".

"Open" means "without restriction". "Open carry" means any person that can legally own a handgun can carry it so that it's visible. "Licensed open carry" requires a license to do the same.

If this law passes, Texas will join the ranks of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Maryland, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Utah, Indiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Georgia - all of whom are "licensed open carry" states.

If the law passes, Californians will still have greater freedom regarding open carry than we will.

You guys can call it what you want, but as long as a license is required, it's not "open".

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    Sections 46.035(a) and (h), Penal Code, are repealed.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (h) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.

Just trying to save some time and post the statement w/ the appropriate sections.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Guys - some of you are your own worst damned enemies. Look at you - whining and complaining, getting all worked up over whether it's everything you wanted....y'know what? You're idiots. I sit here and read your crap, and am amazed at your egocentrity, your demand for instant gratification - your total and complete lack of understanding long-term thinking - and then I better understand how other countries have stolen our manufacturing away from us - because like spoiled kids, "WE WANT IT NOW!!!"

How in the hell could any of you think that this would be an easy or fast fight? Sure - AZ got it - but their population is primarily rural. Texas has grown some pretty damned large metro centers - and the anti-gunners live there, folks. THEY are who we've got to be concerned about, not us. So stop the whining and bickering......appreciate what CAN be done, put on your Big Boy Panties - and gird for the fight ahead! I celebrated the original CC laws being passed in Texas, because I understood the fight still to come - and damned well knew that each small victory would be hard-fought. Screw those of you that are gonna sit here and get all pissy because it ain't what you wanted - SOME of us have put YEARS getting us even this damned far.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Open carry states:

Alabama
    Alaska
    Montana
    Idaho
    Wyoming
    Nevada
    Arizona
    New Mexico
    South Dakota
    Vermont
    Kentucky
    Virginia

Open carry–with restrictions (eg. permit requirements):
    Utah
    North Dakota
    Minnesota
    Iowa
    Tennessee
    Mississippi
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Maryland
    New Jersey
    Rhode Island
    Connecticut
    Massachusetts

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Open carry states:

Alabama
    Alaska
    Montana
    Idaho
    Wyoming
    Nevada
    Arizona
    New Mexico
    South Dakota
    Vermont
    Kentucky
    Virginia

Open carry–with restrictions (eg. permit requirements):
    Utah
    North Dakota
    Minnesota
    Iowa
    Tennessee
    Mississippi
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Maryland
    New Jersey
    Rhode Island
    Connecticut
    Massachusetts

Louisiana is Open Carry. I open carried there for years. No problems.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    A right that requires a permit and the payment of a tax to exercise it is not a right but a privilege. All it takes it for the balance of power in the state house to change and that privilege will be revoked.

I stand by my comment. It is a victory but it is not a great victory. And it is not a victory for all free Texas citizens, only those willing to jump through the hoops required by their masters to get the privilege.

I will not beg for a permission slip to exercise a right. The one who told me to do so, well you may be willing to adopt the slave mentality that is your choice. Hope it works out well for you.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Do as you wish. Me, I'll continue the fight. You can WANT something all you want - but sometimes the battle is won in small increments. But, that's okay - go ahead, sit on the side and pout and let others do the fighting for ya.....hope it works out well for you, because in my book you're lettin' others do your fighting for ya.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    A right that requires a permit and the payment of a tax to exercise it is not a right but a privilege. All it takes it for the balance of power in the state house to change and that privilege will be revoked.

I stand by my comment. It is a victory but it is not a great victory. And it is not a victory for all free Texas citizens, only those willing to jump through the hoops required by their masters to get the privilege.

I will not beg for a permission slip to exercise a right. The one who told me to do so, well you may be willing to adopt the slave mentality that is your choice. Hope it works out well for you.

You're absolutely right. And we need to continute to fight to have our rights fully recognized under law. But we shouldn't disregard small steps toward that end while we continue our fight.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    We are gun owners! We are not antis! Root for the good bills every time. Even if they aren't what you had hoped for it extends the second amendment for others that were hoping for it. We are a strange state, we are no damn guinea pig but we do eventually pass this stuff. Give it time and I'm pretty sure we will be getting constitutional carry. In the mean time get a permit, and pay your unconstitutional self defense tax, just think about the speeding tickets it will get you out of instead of the bullshit price.

Guys - some of you are your own worst damned enemies. Look at you - whining and complaining, getting all worked up over whether it's everything you wanted....y'know what? You're idiots. I sit here and read your crap, and am amazed at your egocentrity, your demand for instant gratification - your total and complete lack of understanding long-term thinking - and then I better understand how other countries have stolen our manufacturing away from us - because like spoiled kids, "WE WANT IT NOW!!!"

How in the hell could any of you think that this would be an easy or fast fight? Sure - AZ got it - but their population is primarily rural. Texas has grown some pretty damned large metro centers - and the anti-gunners live there, folks. THEY are who we've got to be concerned about, not us. So stop the whining and bickering......appreciate what CAN be done, put on your Big Boy Panties - and gird for the fight ahead! I celebrated the original CC laws being passed in Texas, because I understood the fight still to come - and damned well knew that each small victory would be hard-fought. Screw those of you that are gonna sit here and get all pissy because it ain't what you wanted - SOME of us have put YEARS getting us even this damned far.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I call this a step in the right direction. This is a direct result of a group of people getting active with state legislature.
    Those who want to complain need to realize this is the only organized effort to regain our rights in the past 140 years. Open Carry has not been taken seriously by anyone and has not been approached by an organized group till now.
    This bill is a start to what we want. This bill will pass.
    Stop throwing rocks at a good thing and start supporting the group that is providing better rights.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    The way I see it it was this bill or nothing at all towards open carry this session.

From another forum. Anyone catch that they've changed the 30.06 wording so signs will need to change, incorporating the new verbiage, to be valid if this passes?

Top Bottom