• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The way I see it it was this bill or nothing at all towards open carry this session.

From another forum. Anyone catch that they've changed the 30.06 wording so signs will need to change, incorporating the new verbiage, to be valid if this passes?

I don't think they changed the wording. And no changes seem to be necessary for it to apply to open or concealed carry with a CHL.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Here's the way I see it ...

First and foremost ... this bill represents a GAIN. It would allow me and thousands of other Texans the right to carry a handgun without concealment. The day this gets passed you can be ASSURED that I will be carrying openly. Why? ... Because it will condition society. If we get this passed, and we get the common folk out there conditioned to seeing law abiding citizens armed with handguns, then they will slowly become accustomed to it. In a couple years we can push the bar even higher, and we'll have more than "but the Constitution says this!" ... we'll have years of open carrying licensed individuals committing 0.00035% of the crime in Texas. There won't be a bloodbath in the streets, there won't be people screaming and running for their lives ... it'll be business as usual.

Secondly, stop crying. Those of you that want to stand a pedestal of principle about how your rights are your rights ... quite frankly you are doing absolutely NOTHING to progress the gun community towards the goal that you seek. Where do you stand today? ... Not being able to carry a handgun to defend yourself because your pride is worth more than 10 hours and $250? Arguing about definitions and semantics? ... Who gives a **** what it's called ... dinosaur carry, red rocket carry, ozarka wet t-shirt carry, ... we all know what this bill will provide, and it's something that WE DO NOT HAVE TODAY. It represents POSITIVE ground.

Do you support gun rights in this state, or do you support your own ego?

Renegade makes a good point ... this will be hard to pass ... that is unless the non-CHL holders out there get off their soap boxes and get behind this.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I don't think they changed the wording. And no changes seem to be necessary for it to apply to open or concealed carry with a CHL.

See below, they did in fact change the wording of the 30.06 signs. Bold should be strikes.

"Written communication" means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written
    language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06,
    Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a [concealed]
    handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
    Government Code ([concealed] handgun license law), may not enter
    this property with a [concealed] handgun"

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    See below, they did in fact change the wording of the 30.06 signs. Bold should be strikes.

"Written communication" means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written
    language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06,
    Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a [concealed
    handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411,
    Government Code ([concealed] handgun license law), may not enter
    this property with a [concealed] handgun"

Crud, how did I miss that? I even searched for "30.06" in the text. Well a "compliant 30.06 sign" will apply to open and concealed (as it would seem to before, grr). But existing signs will have to change to remain compliant.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Not one of you knows what I (or anyone else involved in this "discussion") have done or not done (other than what they claim to have done) so stop making assumptions.

Denigrate, condemn, belittle, and name call all you want if you think it helps your cause, it doesn't.

Do continue the fight. Just don't think you've done something great and for all by winning a small battle that only benefits a chosen few.

If not now with a super majority in the house and a gov who will sign it, then when?

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I think this list was from about 5 years ago.

Somebody got the list wrong then. Louisiana has had open carry for about forever. Not your fault. Not all of the lists on the internet will be totally accurate. And I don't know everything. Well..... not quite everything. LOL

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Here's the way I see it ...

First and foremost ... this bill represents a GAIN. It would allow me and thousands of other Texans the right to carry a handgun without concealment. The day this gets passed you can be ASSURED that I will be carrying openly. Why? ... Because it will condition society. If we get this passed, and we get the common folk out there conditioned to seeing law abiding citizens armed with handguns, then they will slowly become accustomed to it. In a couple years we can push the bar even higher, and we'll have more than "but the Constitution says this!" ... we'll have years of open carrying licensed individuals committing 0.00035% of the crime in Texas. There won't be a bloodbath in the streets, there won't be people screaming and running for their lives ... it'll be business as usual.

Secondly, stop crying. Those of you that want to stand a pedestal of principle about how your rights are your rights ... quite frankly you are doing absolutely NOTHING to progress the gun community towards the goal that you seek. Where do you stand today? ... Not being able to carry a handgun to defend yourself because your pride is worth more than 10 hours and $250? Arguing about definitions and semantics? ... Who gives a **** what it's called ... dinosaur carry, red rocket carry, ozarka wet t-shirt carry, ... we all know what this bill will provide, and it's something that WE DO NOT HAVE TODAY. It represents POSITIVE ground.

Do you support gun rights in this state, or do you support your own ego?

Renegade makes a good point ... this will be hard to pass ... that is unless the non-CHL holders out there get off their soap boxes and get behind this.

Thank you very much Alan. Good post.

Hey, I kind of like "Red Rocket Carry"!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Not one of you knows what I (or anyone else involved in this "discussion") have done or not done (other than what they claim to have done) so stop making assumptions.
    If not now with a super majority in the house and a gov who will sign it, then when?

Tell ya what, scooter - what HAVE ya done? Because someone took the bull by the horns, did his best, and ended up w/this. This bill was rewritten by the folks that'll be in line to act on it, so they likely had a pretty good idea as to what was possible.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Denigrate, condemn, belittle, and name call all you want if you think it helps your cause, it doesn't.

Do continue the fight. Just don't think you've done something great and for all by winning a small battle that only benefits a chosen few.

It's just frustrating and incredibly petty that people cannot get behind something like this ... they'd rather pick it apart and boast about their own ideology.

Are gun owners not for the rights of gun owners, or are we solely after the rights of ourselves? Why can't people get behind good legislation that doesn't serve themselves in this community? We're all in this fight together, all gun owners are lumped into the same mold by our opposition.

Chosen few ... in 2010 the number of CHL licensees increased 20% ... 102,000 licenses were given out in 2010. The total number of licensed individuals today is over 500,000. That's half a million people that stand to gain something from this legislation. By putting guns out there in plain view, and taking that small step forward we are progressing the entirety of gun owner's rights.

Frankly ... the CHL program is proof positive that law abiding citizens can be trusted to carry firearms in public. It has set the standard that we can rely upon to push for additional laws in regards to the public.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Texas has Concealed Carry and that just about all. The exemption in 46.15 are great but they will still get you un-wanted attention.
    This bill undates Texas law to what other state had. Those other states are going after Constitutional Carry. How could anyone think we could join the others in Constitutional carry when we dont already have the basic laws they have..
    We have a lot of work to do folks.
    Like I said before, we have been depending on people who are incompetent. Lets all work together and move this bill..... Next time we will go for more, I promise.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R

Listen, there was a choice to be made. The fact is that if we would have gone for the whole shebang at once and in this session, we would have come away with "NOTHING". A big fat zero! Is that what you would rather have happened?

I feel for ya. I'm disappointed too. I wanted more but at the same time, I realized that it wasn't coming today and right this minute. It'll be a lot of work just getting this little bit passed right now. So help us pass it and then help us pass the next improvement until we have what's in The Constitution. Or rather limit what the government can do to us if we act like free men. There is a plan so get on board and help us.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Are gun owners not for the rights of gun owners, or are we solely after the rights of ourselves? Why can't people get behind good legislation that doesn't serve themselves in this community? We're all in this fight together, all gun owners are lumped into the same mold by our opposition.

+1 Similar is campus carry. I think its a good idea and support it even though it does not directly effect me. All my kids are past college, and the grand kids have a quite a few years to go.

We all need to get behind this.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    +1 Similar is campus carry. I think its a good idea and support it even though it does not directly effect me. All my kids are past college, and the grand kids have a quite a few years to go.

We all need to get behind this.

We always are on the topic of how Washington chips away at our rights ... it's time for the People to do their own.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    The legislature is a slow moving body. It will usually take 3-4 sessions (6-8 years) to get something passed. You have to take what ever you can get.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I'm not against this at all.

I just want you guys to call it what it is: "licensed open carry".

So long as it's licensed, you're beholden to the government.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Because someone took the bull by the horns...

You're right. I just want to say that the man who took the bull by the horns (LSCDL President) did a great job. He's worked hard and studied up on this stuff and made this happen. Thanks MrRedneck!

So dance with the one that brung ya. Join up and help us pass this thing. Questions about LSCDL? Go to the website and read the faq page and hopefully that'll answer any questions. If it were "Buford's Barber Shop & Sushi Kitchen" that brought us this bill, I'd be joining up and supporting ol' Buford. Just sayin'.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    A right that requires a permit and the payment of a tax to exercise it is not a right but a privilege. All it takes it for the balance of power in the state house to change and that privilege will be revoked.

I stand by my comment. It is a victory but it is not a great victory. And it is not a victory for all free Texas citizens, only those willing to jump through the hoops required by their masters to get the privilege.

I will not beg for a permission slip to exercise a right. The one who told me to do so, well you may be willing to adopt the slave mentality that is your choice. Hope it works out well for you.

I think this is directed at me so I'll respond. I don't like being forced to have a license to carry any more than you do. I resent it, and sometimes I might feel a bit angry. But I still do it. Why? Because it's better than the alternative!

Do you have a boss at work? Do you do what he says, even when he's being an idiot or an ass? You take orders? You are a slave! Better to quit and live in the street and let your family starve.

That's your line of reasoning and it is weak.

Top Bottom