• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I was in Montana last summer on a Motorcycle Trip (rode the Continental Divide Rounte on a Dual Sport) and we stopped in a town for lunch. Sorry, I don't remember which town. I knew Montana was an Open Carry State, but the fact had slipped my mind. Anyhow, here my friends and I are eating lunch and these 5 guys came in all with a sidearm on their sides. I looked around to the other patrons to see what their reaction was and nobody even flinched. A few looked over and saw the handguns the young men had on them, but nobody even took a second look. Some would smile a little! Other just gave it a look and back to their table’s conversation. I noticed that these guys had nice leather holsters with some fancy ornamental trim. My first thought was, NICE Holster. I wish I could carry mine in a nice rig like that. My handgun was in a side pocket in my Cargo Riding Pants.

Not sure how long it took for the Citizenry to accept the sight of a handgun, but it was a nice experience for me.
    When I read about this bill, that Restaurant in Montana came to mind!
    I hope this passes as I would like to be able to feel as comfortable as I was in that Restaurant knowing that anyone who wanted to come inside it for trouble wouldn't get far once they saw how many patrons were armed.

I prefer to have mine concealed, but would like the option should I ever find a nice holster!

Curt, great story.. Thanks for sharing.
    Gun Zone Deals

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I dont ride motorcycles anymore, " Thank God im still alive", but I know concealing on a Horse sure as hell sucks. Try keeping your gun hid away on a bouncing horse! That Horse will look at you like "WTF MAN, that aint how you do it"!
    Besides, its hard enough to keep my AR15 from falling out of my Rifle Scabbard! I gotta get something that it fits in better. SKS fits in the one on the other side just fine thow.

dcfis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    ATX
    Did anyone hear the mentally weak argument Austins carpetbagging police chief made today trying to speak against open carry? It is a sad state of affairs to have such an incompetent metal midget running a major police dept. His whole schtick was to implore the people to think about how "uncomfortable they would feel" . No Art, its when you roll into the East side cameras off, guns blazing- or with a needle on the side of a road that makes people feel "Uncomfortable".

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I like this bill, even though I would not OC. I still prefer to NOT let some thug know what I have inside my pants. (women either)

That said, this will create some interesting scenarios. Will Walmart do any different? I recall when CCL came out, at first Walmart had a No/Gun sign, then when nasty words were written about them, they removed them. Most businesses today have that sign, "Must be a CCL holder ...". I like that, it protects them too.

What will churches do when someone comes to church in a nice suit with a big hogleg strapped on? I can guarantee you the Pastors will have a hissy. There will be new signs designed, the legislature will have to come up with another sign bill.

Doctor's offices. Oh NO!!! Hospitals? Never. McDonalds? All the auto dealers have signs now, people get really whizzed off when they get screwed by a salesman. Hey, maybe it will make them be a bit more "honest".

I STILL think the Campus Carry bill was more important. There the potential for a mass murder is real. Every nutjob and whacko still knows he can get away with "mass" murder there.

Change is always hard at first. Hopefully this will come out, like the weapons, just fine.

I go to a Large Baptist church in Texas and at least half conceal carry to church. surprisingly a lot of women. This is what motivated my wife to finally get her CHL.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    43 states already have an open carry law, three of the four most populous states (Florida, New York and Texas) do not. Florida just voted it out of their House of representatives recently. This is quoted from another article. I really did not know that 43 other states already have some sort of open carry.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    43 states already have an open carry law, three of the four most populous states (Florida, New York and Texas) do not. Florida just voted it out of their House of representatives recently. This is quoted from another article. I really did not know that 43 other states already have some sort of open carry.

Actually, most of those 43 other states don't have any laws regarding open carry.

If there is no law restricting an activity, that activity is legal.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I really dont think there will even be much of a issue at all. Sure your going to have people give you the " OMG" comment now and then, but thats just how it goes. If your not breaking the law, you have nothing to worry about.

This is what I've found to be true. Years ago when I lived in Louisiana, I open carried a lot. In all the years I open carried, one lady in a convenience store asked me what the gun was for. I forgot exactly what I told her, that it was completely legal and that she could carry openly too if she wanted. All she said was, "Oh!" and I paid her for my soda pop and left. If you are nice when answering their questions and not a smart aleck, it'll go over well 99% of the time. I predict that that's how it'll be here in Texas after a short reactionary time. In my opinion.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    When OC passes in one form or the other and it will, I don't look for any more problems for the carriers than we saw when the CHL law passed, only a very small percentage of offences....There will be no Gunfight at the OK Corral but violent crime by gangstas, zombies, and other thugs should fall considerably as they value their worthless rears as much as the rest of the world....Some of them will be killed until the message soaks into their ignorant headI look forwards that crime doesn't pay and may be hazardous to their health ! I look forward to OCs passage with admiration but I likely will continue to tote concealed or semi concealed....

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Another concept yall aint thinking about it the people who will actually open carry a handgun.
    It's the same people who are concealing right now. Maybe the change in law will encourage more people to become licensed, Im not sure. One things for sure though, people wont be getting into trouble if they decide to make their gun visible.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Doubtful, I know lots who carry concealed. I dont know a single person that will carry open.

Despite that I hope it passes.

None of them at all? Shoot, I know a Whole Lot of people who will. Some of them not so much all the time, but they really like the idea of being able to when they deside to.
    Me, I dont really like carrying handguns much anyway. Concealment is just aggrivating to me, I dont even like carrying a wallet. Open carry seems to be less, I guess you could say "tight" feeling.
    Its mostly about personal choice anyway.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Like I said I will conceal my weapon as much as I can. During a crisis situation you want your opponent to expect less than what you are about to deliver. The sight of a gun does not "scare" someone who truly wants to do you harm. He knows who to shoot first, his biggest threat......the guy with the gun. The only positive for OC that I can see for me is some instances, usually in the summer, where concealing is more of a challenge.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Some of use are forgetting that there are two issues here:

--is OC a good idea, in any particular situation

and

-- should OC be banned by the government

These issues are completely separate.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Like I said I will conceal my weapon as much as I can. During a crisis situation you want your opponent to expect less than what you are about to deliver. The sight of a gun does not "scare" someone who truly wants to do you harm. He knows who to shoot first, his biggest threat......the guy with the gun.
    Can you show us these incidents, where the criminal shoots the openly carrying citizen before going about his criminal enterprise?

This has got to be the most trotted out reason against open carry, and it's completely unfounded.

I, OTOH, can show documented cases where open carry has stopped crimes from happening. . .

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Maybe it's just my instincts. I have always been taught that in a fight, take out the biggest threat first. Whoever does not run will at least be easier to deal with.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Maybe it's just my instincts. I have always been taught that in a fight, take out the biggest threat first. Whoever does not run will at least be easier to deal with.
    You see, criminals are cowards for the most part.

Criminals (at least not the ones that have 2 or more brain cells) aren't going to "take out the open carrier" because they won't know who's carrying a concealed weapon . .

Most of them (with 2 or more brain cells) isn't going to get themselves a murder rap just for a couple fohtays and a Snickers, either. . .

Top Bottom