• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    This thread needs more pictures of M1 Carbines.
    View attachment 212179

Moonpie; All,

By late 1942 the German army was SHORT of firearms & actually gave the SMLE from the UK, the .45 US pistol & the .30 US carbine a "German designation", as all of those firearms had been captured in large enough quantity to need a German "supply code".
    (Offhand, I cannot remember which book that has the list of those German supply codes.)

Also after VE Day the USA armed WACHTMEISTERS of the former German forces with M1/M2 carbines & M1911 pistols, for the (then new) BRD security forces.
    (WACHTMEISTERS were uniformed in dyed-black US field uniforms, until new BRD "field gray" uniforms could be purchased/distributed.)

Additionally, by mid-1946 the US Occupation Forces were recruiting, uniforming & arming "foreign fighters" from Poland, France & perhaps other nations as "auxiliary fighting forces". = My Uncle Jeff , who was stationed in Occupied Germany shortly after the war, told me about 1970 that "We came close to having an 'American Foreign Legion' that was to be trained to fight the Red Army to defend the US Zone."
    (The "foreign fighters" were organized into companies/battalions, uniformed in dyed dark gray WWII German field uniforms & armed with Garand rifles & MG.)
    When the expected mass attack by the Red Army did not happen, the "foreign fighters" were reorganized into Labor Service Units & employed in various security missions including guarding "Special Weapons Storage Depots."
    (In Jan 1970 when I arrived in BRD for AD, the US Forces still had Polish, Lithuanian, Estonian, Danish, Finnish, Russian & French Labor Service Force units, that were employed in a variety of jobs.)

yours, satx

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Moonpie; All,

By late 1942 the German army was SHORT of firearms & actually gave the SMLE from the UK, the .45 US pistol & the .30 US carbine a "German designation", as all of those firearms had been captured in large enough quantity to need a German "supply code".
    (Offhand, I cannot remember which book that has the list of those German supply codes.)

Also after VE Day the USA armed WACHTMEISTERS of the former German forces with M1/M2 carbines & M1911 pistols, for the (then new) BRD security forces.
    (WACHTMEISTERS were uniformed in dyed-black US field uniforms, until new BRD "field gray" uniforms could be purchased/distributed.)

Additionally, by mid-1946 the US Occupation Forces were recruiting, uniforming & arming "foreign fighters" from Poland, France & perhaps other nations as "auxiliary fighting forces". = My Uncle Jeff , who was stationed in Occupied Germany shortly after the war, told me about 1970 that "We came close to having an 'American Foreign Legion' that was to be trained to fight the Red Army to defend the US Zone."
    (The "foreign fighters" were organized into companies/battalions, uniformed in dyed dark gray WWII German field uniforms & armed with Garand rifles & MG.)
    When the expected mass attack by the Red Army did not happen, the "foreign fighters" were reorganized into Labor Service Units & employed in various security missions including guarding "Special Weapons Storage Depots."
    (In Jan 1970 when I arrived in BRD for AD, the US Forces still had Polish, Lithuanian, Estonian, Danish, Finnish, Russian & French Labor Service Force units, that were employed in a variety of jobs.)

yours, satx

It wasn't just quantities that made the Germans issue captured guns, the carbine in particular was an easy choice for the Germans since it was 95% of what they liked in their STG 44. Most everything else was used to arm partisan groups or the SS.

When your doctrine is centred around the machine gun like the Germans were, a 12lb gun, be it a Thompson or an M1 Garand is a very hard sell.

I wish i could find the story, but as i recall it mentioned a German encampment that had piles of Garands, and a pile of carbines, and the pile of carbines routinely got picked clean

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It wasn't just quantities that made the Germans issue captured guns, the carbine in particular was an easy choice for the Germans since it was 95% of what they liked in their STG 44. Most everything else was used to arm partisan groups or the SS.

When your doctrine is centred around the machine gun like the Germans were, a 12lb gun, be it a Thompson or an M1 Garand is a very hard sell.

I wish i could find the story, but as i recall it mentioned a German encampment that had piles of Garands, and a pile of carbines, and the pile of carbines routinely got picked clean

zackmars,

Pardon me for pointing out that:
    1. A Garand is 8.6 pounds
    2. The Germans were NOT fighting fanatical & often "doped up" Japanese, North Koreans or Chinese Communists.
    and
    3. Allied forces NEVER used MASSIVE "human wave attacks", as the Asian forces did. Nor did we have "back-stoppers" who shot anyone who failed to keep going forward.
    (The North Vietnamese did the same, BTW.)

So I'm sure that the Germans liked the carbine. = Small & light, too.

yours, satx

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    zackmars,

Pardon me for pointing out that:
    1. A Garand is 8.6 pounds
    2. The Germans were NOT fighting fanatical & often "doped up" Japanese, North Koreans or Chinese Communists.
    and
    3. Allied forces NEVER used MASSIVE "human wave attacks", as the Asian forces did. Nor did we have "back-stoppers" who shot anyone who failed to keep going forward.
    (The North Vietnamese did the same, BTW.)

So I'm sure that the Germans liked the carbine. = Small & light, too.

yours, satx

A Garand with a cleaning kit, and sling, and one 8 round clip often tips the scales at over 10. More if you add in an extra clip of ammo, and have a particularly dense stock. My M1 is nowhere close to 8.6 lbs, even unloaded.

The germans were not fighting the japanese, no. Do you know who were? We were. And the carbine was quite popular in the PTO

Your 3rd point has nothing to do with anything. But you do you bro.

The one reply i have where I'm not arguing with you, and you still make it an argument. Good job. I guess

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    A Garand with a cleaning kit, and sling, and one 8 round clip often tips the scales at over 10. More if you add in an extra clip of ammo, and have a particularly dense stock. My M1 is nowhere close to 8.6 lbs, even unloaded.

The germans were not fighting the japanese, no. Do you know who were? We were. And the carbine was quite popular in the PTO

Your 3rd point has nothing to do with anything. But you do you bro.

The one reply i have where I'm not arguing with you, and you still make it an argument. Good job. I guess

zackmars,

Fyi, I weighed my 09/43 Garand while ago & according to my scale, it weighs just over 9 pounds loaded with web sling. - your mileage may vary.

I believe Naa'teh & would not trust a .30 carbine to STOP a hardened/veteran soldier at close range.
    (One of the places where Naa'teh was, as a member of the US 174rd
    ABN RGT, was on a defense line just north & east of Seoul near Sokcho. - His comment was that the human wave assault came so close to over-running US lines that much of the fighting was with knives, bayonets, rifle butts, handguns & even fists. - IF I had been unlucky enough to be in that place/date, I would want something more deadly than a carbine.)
    Likely, you would believe that a .30 caliber carbine is OK in such an action.

Let's agree to disagree & quit arguing.

yours, satx

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    zackmars,

Fyi, I weighed my 09/43 Garand while ago & according to my scale, it weighs just over 9 pounds loaded with web sling. - your mileage may vary.

I believe Naa'teh & would not trust a .30 carbine to STOP a hardened/veteran soldier at close range.
    (One of the places where Naa'teh was, as a member of the US 174rd
    ABN RGT, was on a defense line just north & east of Seoul near Sokcho. - His comment was that the human wave assault came so close to over-running US lines that much of the fighting was with knives, bayonets, rifle butts, handguns & even fists. - IF I had been unlucky enough to be in that place/date, I would want something more deadly than a carbine.)
    Likely, you would believe that a .30 caliber carbine is OK in such an action.

Let's agree to disagree & quit arguing.

yours, satx

If i were in that situation, I'd be more than happy with 15 or 30 rounds of .30 carbine, vs 8 rounds of 06.

Perhaps if you want to quit arguing, you shouldn't run around and talk about everything not related to the subject being discussed.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If i were in that situation, I'd be more than happy with 15 or 30 rounds of .30 carbine, vs 8 rounds of 06.

Perhaps if you want to quit arguing, you shouldn't run around and talk about everything not related to the subject being discussed.
    See, the thing is, SATX is completely non confrontational when he chimes in on a subject, even if it drifts the thread somewhat.

You on the other hand seem to just like picking fights with anyone you personally disagree with. Something I have noticed with you for years.

If you don’t like what someone is saying, and believe that they don’t contribute anything but thread drift, put on your big boy pants and click the ignore button instead of dropping trou and showing your ass.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Bored+to+Death.jpg

OP is going to come thru with pics of his new M1Carbine any year now.

Attachments

• Bored+to+Death.jpg
      Bored+to+Death.jpg
      379.4 KB · Views: 219
    Top Bottom